Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Ten shows of past season

Since the 2013-14 television season is technically over (I believe that a show had to have premiered by May 31 in order to qualify for this year's Emmy's) here's my TOP TEN list for the last year. Note that, so as to not unduly penalize network shows, I only consider the best 13 episodes of each show's season.

(1) BREAKING BAD: I consider it to be the best TV drama of all time, and "Ozymandias' the best TV episode of all time, so no surprise that it tops my list.

(2) TRUE DETECTIVE: first six episodes were mesmerizing (the last two were fine, but the show lost a little something when it abandoned the interrogation conceit).

(3) ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK: the first original Netflix show that was good enough to reward binge-watching. Really looking forward to the Season 2 release later this week.

(4) MAD MEN: Thank you to AMC for insisting on a split season, which I think imposed a structure that made Season 7A episodes work much better than first half of Season 6.

(5) THE AMERICANS: another great season, though I thought not revealing the big twist in the final episode earlier in the season hurt the episodes that preceded it.

(6) MASTERS OF SEX: very appropriate that a show about a study of human sexuality depicted one of the best character studies (of Bill Masters) on TV.

(7) SLEEPY HOLLOW: What a gloriously berserk show! Or as critic Mo Ryan calls it, "BonkersAwesome!"

(8) ARROW: the Season 2 finale felt truly epic, and did a great job of tying together most of the season's numerous plot lines into a satisfying whole.

(9) THE GOOD WIFE: Season 5 had a LOT of terrific and memorable moments (though the biggest one kind of derailed the latter part of the season).

(10) GAME OF THRONES: Season 4 has had several great storylines-- but also a couple of not-so-great ones (I'm looking at you, Reek and Stannis).

Honorable Mention: the cleverly-structured FARGO, which with two episodes left could crack my Top Ten by the time it's done.

Incidentally, I didn't think any comedies were even close to a Top Ten show (which is strange because in late 2012 I remember thinking that there there were a bunch of really good comedies on TV at the time). My top 5 comedies of the last year, based simply on how much they made me laugh over the course of the season, are: (5) Legit, (4) Enlisted, (3) The Neighbors, (2) New Girl, and (1) Trophy Wife.

Re: Top Ten shows of past season

Good choices. Right there with you on Breaking Bad.

Sad that it's being forced to compete with True Detective in the Drama Series category at the Emmys (when we all know TD is really a mini-series). But I have a hunch BB will clean up as a final tribute to its amazing run (Best Series, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress).

No love for Scandal?
    "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
      No love for Scandal?
      I liked it-- I'd put it in my Top 20-- but for me Season 3 had trouble living up to the greatness of Season 2 (which did make my Top 10 last year). There were times when the show was clearly trying too hard (e.g., the chewing, and the licking) to regain the crazy magic of Season 2.

And as much as I enjoyed Joe Morton's performance, his character in many ways weakened Olivia for much of the season, because it made her very unsure of herself.

Hopefully she won't be quite so passive in Season 4 ...

Comment

Originally posted by AP Oz View Post
        I liked it-- I'd put it in my Top 20-- but for me Season 3 had trouble living up to the greatness of Season 2 (which did make my Top 10 last year). There were times when the show was clearly trying too hard (e.g., the chewing, and the licking) to regain the crazy magic of Season 2.

And as much as I enjoyed Joe Morton's performance, his character in many ways weakened Olivia for much of the season, because it made her very unsure of herself.

Hopefully she won't be quite so passive in Season 4 ...
        True, this season wasn't as good as the last, though I still enjoyed it. And Joe Morton's grand speeches got tiring after like, the 10th time. Hopefully it'll rebound next year.
        "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Just curious, did you see this season of Louie?

Comment

Originally posted by CBurden View Post
            Just curious, did you see this season of Louie?
            I did. I would put it near the end of my overall Top 20.

It didn't make my Top 5 sitcom list because I don't think it's really a comedy anymore, as the show doesn't seem particularly concerned about getting laughs.

I thought "So Did the Fat Lady" was a fantastic episode. But the "Elevator" six-parter has essentially been a quirky independent film, which is fine, but I like TV a lot more than I like indies.

In case you care, Season 2 of Louie made my (and just about everyone else's) Top Ten that year, but I think the excessive critical adulation of Season 2 (most of which was great, but there were flaws) resulted in the overindulgence that has characterized much of Seasons 3 and 4.

Comment

My top twelve (not sure which are eligible):

1) Breaking Bad
              2) Game of Thrones
              3) Silicon Valley
              4) 24
              5) The Americans
              6) Arrow
              7) The 100
              8) The BlackList
              9) Vikings
              10) The Newsroom
              11) Falling Skies
              12) Suits

I couldn't get into True Detective. I know the acting is great, but I've just seen the slow, deranged serial killer thing too many times.

I suspect The Americans will get shut out of the emmys after getting Oliver North some a writing credit.

Comment

I've had some time to think about it, and what makes True Detectives stand out is the exploration of the theme. "Time is like a flat circle" has deep and meaning (although I am still trying to sort out the meaning . Theme is rarely explored with such depth, it's explored in many if not most of the scenes. And I think that is what people are connecting too.

The story is slow too start, I did not become really interested until episode 4. The serial story is average and the ending so-so. While the two leads are well explored from a character standpoint, the rest of the characters felt average to me.

What pulls you into the story is the theme.
                826dk

ARTicles: Kick Your Creative A** Into Gear

DK - Script Revolution

Comment

Originally posted by jariax View Post
                  My top twelve (not sure which are eligible):
                  4) 24
                  I'm pretty sure 24 isn't eligible, because not enough episodes aired before June 1.

But I have to say, so far 24 has been terrific this season. The chase scene in the last episode felt novel and exciting.

I think the show works MUCH better as a 12-parter, which basically eliminates the need for the mostly pointless digressions that have derailed many earlier seasons.

Comment

GoT behind shows like Sleepy Hollow and Arrow? That's cute.

Comment

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post
                      I think Season 4 of GoT has been over-rated by most critics. It's only my third-favorite season of the show (1-2-4-3).

I loved most of what happened this season at King's Landing, but almost everything in the North left me, well, ice cold. And much of the fire was also lacking, thanks to a largely uneventful Dany season.

Indeed, after that somewhat disappointing GoT finale, I can easily see Fargo knocking GoT out of my Top 10 if it has a good finale.
                      Last edited by AP Oz; 06-15-2014, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jariax View Post
                        9) Vikings
                        Yeah really enjoying this. i don't know if its great TV but its visceral viewing
                        I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AP Oz View Post
                          I think Season 4 of GoT has been over-rated by most critics. It's only my third-favorite season of the show (1-2-4-3).

I loved most of what happened this season at King's Landing, but almost everything in the North left me, well, ice cold. And much of the fire was also lacking, thanks to a largely uneventful Dany season.

Indeed, after that somewhat disappointing GoT finale, I can easily see Fargo knocking GoT out of my Top 10 if it has a good finale.
                          Somewhat disappointing? The Finale was universally loved. And Fargo should be in the Top 10...but not at the expense of GoT.

24 has been really, really weak in its return (and this is coming from a huge fan). I can't fathom having shows like 24, Arrow, and Sleepy Hollow ahead of GoT and Fargo. Different strokes, I suppose.

Comment

Somewhat disappointing? The Finale was universally loved.
                            You need to expand your universe.

Numerous prominent critics have pointed out the multitude of flaws in the finale. And anyone paying attention to social media would realize that many of the hard-core book-reading fans were very disappointed by the lack of an expected reveal.

The only storyline that completely worked for me was Tyrion's-- everything else failed for me in some way. Even the Hound-Arya storyline, which had the terrific fight scene, ended with a questionable adaptation choice.

Because while Arya's final scene with the Hound makes sense in the book, where the two charaters only interact relatively briefly, on the show he had clearly come to actually care for her. So Arya's decision just makes her look like an a-hole, mainly because the show needed to re-sync with the books. To me, that's poor writing.

Comment

I can't fathom having shows like ... Arrow, and Sleepy Hollow ahead of GoT and Fargo. Different strokes, I suppose.
                              This is the second time you've snobbishly disparaged Arrow and Sleepy Hollow without explaining why you don't think they belong in a Top 10.

Have you actually watched all of Sleepy Hollow S1 and Arrow S2?

Comment

Working...
                              X