Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NaNoWriMo

Is anybody doing National Write a Novel Month this November? I've been wanting to do it for a couple of years but was derailed by the Screenwriting Expo.

But this year, since the Expo is in October I'm really looking forward to finally putting my trashy adultry thriller on paper. I know some Done Dealers have tried it in the past. Can anyone share any tips?

"K"

Re: NaNoWriMo

I forgot all about it coming up. Hmmmmm, maybe. It'll depend on the status of some current projects. Thanks for the reminder.

Comment

I can't do it this year, because I'm just starting on a rewrite of a novel, but I did do it last year, and loved it. I finished early, too, about Thanksgiving day or so.

Really had fun, and think it's a great experience.

Comment

I did it last year and had a blast, even with juggling writing during SW expo and family visits over the thanksgiving holidays. The result was total crap, but it was 50K words of crap. I'm definately going to do it again, and I'm looking forward to the NanoWriMo screenwriting event they are starting (next june, I think).

Joel

Comment

NaNoWrimo's Website is now currently open for sign ups and the message boards are open.

This'll be my third year doing it, every year I've had fun doing it. I'm doing a Horror Zombie fic this year set in Rhode Island.
          R.K. Bentley
          My Blog, My Design Studio
          "Little hand says it's time to rock an' roll." - Hot Fuzz.

Comment

I just signed up for NaNoWriMo. With the script I'm working on and the research going into the next one I don't know how I'll have time to write a 50,000 page novel, but... it's worth a try.

Does anyone know of anyone being published that wrote their novel during the NaNoWriMo? Just curious...

Comment

Haunted, that's a good question for the NaNoWrimo Boards more than the DD Boards.

IIRC, Lulu.com has a special for NaNoWrimo Winners to get their novel printed.

As for getting published for real, I don't know...
              R.K. Bentley

Comment

Originally posted by haunted1 View Post
                I just signed up for NaNoWriMo. With the script I'm working on and the research going into the next one I don't know how I'll have time to write a 50,000 page novel, but... it's worth a try.
                Geez, you're going to write a 50,000 page novel? But hey, as you said, it's worth a try.
                Jesus, if this guy owned a funeral parlor nobody would die!

Comment

I guess 50,000 pages or 50,000 words, whatever comes first.

I just hate to think of the rewrite work that would need to be done when your through - 1 month to write the novel, 11 months to rewrite it.

Comment

Well, I signed up. If it turns out that I end up with a script or production deadline, then I'll just have to deal with it. I like the idea of trying this, and I don't know that I'll be in a better position to give it a go next year.

I'll be writing literary fiction. My working title is "The Unintended Mongrel." It'll be about a 33-year-old single woman who finally meets the man she believes is her true love, but when he is killed, it causes her to question her understanding of love and faith. She meets him while they're both volunteering at an animal shelter, thus the mongrel reference. I'm envisioning an exploration of big questions such as "Does everyone have a true love?" I've done some scene card work, and I also plan to set aside time to work on projects around the house that would otherwise occupy my time in the evenings so that I'm as free as possible in November.

Comment

6 Days to go...
                      R.K. Bentley

Comment

Yikes! I'm not ready!

Comment

I poured over my scene cards for plot and subplot holes and themes today while waiting for the plumbing to be fixed. Tonight's assignment is to develop character names and do some more research. I'm getting excited, really looking forward to this.

Comment

I was really gung ho before... Now I'm afraid, very afraid. I've already changed the setting of my story from LA to my hometown of Chicago to avoid having to stop and do research.

Everybody says this is supposed to be fun. I've written a dozen screenplays. Why am I freaking out?

Comment

Freak-not! In a month, it will all be over.

I'm pretty excited. I've got my stack of 74 scene cards by the computer, have cleaned the house, stocked the cupboards and returned the library books. I just need to wrap up some unexpected business.

I don't imagine I'll be around DD so much for the next 30 days.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X