No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap Script Notes

Hi! I hope everyone is having a good day

I have lurked these forums for almost a decade and I have finally decided to make an account and post something.

I am starting a script notes service and I am offering notes on the first 5 pages of your script free of charge. My notes aren't as professionally written as The Screenplay Mechanic's or TitanCreed's, but I do believe my scene-by-scene comments can be of value and it's super affordable for those who are tight on money.

If you find my notes useful and would like me to read your entire script, I charge $20 for features (<120 pages), $10 for TV pilots (<60 pages) and $5 for shorts (<20 pages). Turnaround time is 1-2 weeks.

I made a similar post on Reddit, but have only found a couple of clients so far.

PM or email me at [email protected] if you would like to see some sample notes.

Happy screenwriting!

- The Script Paradox

Re: Cheap Script Notes

Originally posted by thescriptparadox View Post

I charge $20 for features (<120 pages)
    You must be either super wealthy, or comfortably retired, because how else would you have the time and energy and to be able to support yourself by reviewing up to 120 page scripts just for $20.

Anyway, if I post my opening 10 pages in the SCRIPT PAGES forum for your fee of reading feature scripts, $20, are you willing to post your feedback on these pages for members to see your insights on the material, how you articulate and communicate a few things you like and any problems you may find and possible fixes that may be dead on, or just may give direction and a creative spark to the writer, etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by JoeNYC View Post
      You must be either super wealthy, or comfortably retired, because how else would you have the time and energy and to be able to support yourself by reviewing up to 120 page scripts just for $20.
      I'm neither super wealthy nor comfortably retired. I just enjoy reading scripts and would like to make some extra money along the way. Who knows? I may increase the price in future if I get enough clients.

For $20, I'm only going to review entire feature scripts and I'm not going to post it anywhere myself. But if you make a purchase, then you are welcome to post the notes anywhere you like.

- The Script Paradox

Comment

what JoeNYC is getting at, and it's a very good point, is that before anyone gives you any money, you should be able to present potential customers with a "sample" of your feedback to determine if it's even worth $20.

there is good feedback. and there is bad feedback.

i agree with JoeNYC, i think a sample of your skills is not unreasonable.
        Last edited by finalact4; 07-10-2019, 07:27 PM.
        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

So what previous experience do you have? Did you do coverage for studios/prod cos/agencies? What is your general entertainment experience? Why should we pay you $20, or anything at all, for notes? Besides being cheap, what value do you bring to the table?

Comment

I don't think just posting an ad is enough. We'd like to see a sample. Or, JOENYC's idea has merit. It's called 'selling yourself' (and your services).

Terri Zinner (afilmwriter.com) used to do $35 notes; now $69. They were sparse, and seemed cut 'n paste sometimes (I guess for recurring problems in amateur scripts!), but I still remember her for her first line in her first notes on my first script, for the memorable and profound wisdom it disclosed:

"Steve, remember that reading is a subjective thing..." (before she proceeded to rip my script to shreds)

So, $20 for somebody starting out isn't completely out of the realm of possibility, but a sample would be nice. Do one up for a famous movie we've all seen, maybe? Since posting a sample requires a simple website to hold it, you could just post it on this thread (formatting doesn't matter).

(I'm the world's cheapest guy W.C.G. nowadays, so I'm not really in the market. But I have used some very low-cost services and asked them mostly to make it a proofread for typos; that's worth $20 even if even just one typo is caught)

Comment

Thank you for the replies. You can view a sample here: https://docdro.id/5FNCY7W

In regards to experience in giving feedback, I have no formal qualifications nor have I worked at any agencies/companies in a field of relevance. But I've seen a lot of films and have read a lot of screenplays over the years.

I understand that my notes may not be what everyone is looking for, especially those more experienced screenwriters who have all those typos and grammatical errors under control, but I believe you can never have too many eyes on a script.

- The Script Paradox

Comment

I've read your sample and now I have an idea what you're offering, which is fine for $20 for those writers who would like this type of feedback.

What you focus on is feedback on the minor elements of a script, such as, its presentation: formatting, proofing of spelling and grammar, line editing.

Not its major elements, such as, structure, character development, tone, pacing, etc., which is fine, but I suggest to let writers know up front.

I was under the impression you were going to give notes on the major elements.

At the end, you give an overview of the screenplay, but the feedback is really proofing and line editing, which some writer look for and need. I haven't read the sample that your review was based on, so I don't know how well you caught these things, but if you are a strong proofer, there is value in that and it would be worth more than $20 for it.

Sometimes reviewers are so focused on the major elements that they overlook the spelling and grammar mistakes and the details of the pages.

Comment

Originally posted by thescriptparadox View Post
                  ...but I believe you can never have too many eyes on a script...
                  You said it!

Took at look at the sample: No, they're not 'pro notes' I'd expect to pay $120 or $220 for, but even without the summation at the end, that looks worth $20 to me. (Mind you, I'd never pass something off as 'finished' that had as much wrong with it as that sample does!)

As I wrote earlier, on a finished script, with most of the structural things taken care of, $20 for a 'fresh pair of eyes' to do at minimum a proofread is a good idea. The only alternative to us is a 'script swap', but frankly if I had the $20 (and most of us do) I'd prefer to be let off the hook for my side of the trade and just pay for the other.

But I generally am skeptical of paid notes anyway; how can somebody read a script for 'story' comprehension, while at the same time scribbling down all sorts of criticisms. For me to do it right (to my own standards), I'd have to read the script once, then read it again before I could really punch holes in it. But that's just me.

Comment

Just wanted to post an enthusiastic recommend for Script Paradox's services. SP has reviewed two scripts of mine and I couldn't be happier.

SP provides a scene by scene reaction to the script -- grammar/form corrections and suggestions, notes regarding perceived story inconsistencies to that point, etc. At the end of the analysis, SP concludes with several paragraphs of overall recommendations regarding story structure, character development, etc. My notes for each script totaled around 8-9 pages each.

SP has a very good story sense and although I don't necessarily agree with all of the suggestions, they usually indicated a story problem that I solved by other means. In short, I got exactly what I needed to take the scripts through the next round of rewrites. I believe SP's price is now $25 which is still a great value.

Comment

Thank you for your recommendation, Winter Dreams. It was a pleasure to read your work.

- The Script Paradox

Comment

Working...
                      X