No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man With the Iron Fists

Any Wu heads in here?

I'll definitely check this out and post my thoughts. I've been bumping Wu the entire week. If RZA makes a good movie, this could be the start of an interesting career.

For the uninitiated, Wu-tang is pretty much the best group in hip hop history. Their fans (including myself) are damn near fanatical. And it's hard not to be. They dropped incredible music (alot of which was so left-field) at a pivotal time in hip hop history.

Re: Man With the Iron Fists

This movie doesn't really look like my cup of tea, but I'm impressed it was made for $15 million (especially since there is a 4 hour cut floating out there). RZA plays the role of rapper turned producer on Californication by the name of Samurai Apocalypse. Pretty outrageous role.

Also, I think NWA might give Wu-Tang a run for it's money with influence on hip hop.
    "Write every day. Don't quit. The rest is all bullshit." - Brian Koppelman

Comment

RZA is a musical genius and a true visionary. I'm not surprised he moved into directing. He spent a lot of time studying Quentin and Ridley Scott. He learned a lot. Looks like his directing career is bout to take off he just got hired for two features and they aren't low budget. One is Genghis Khan movie and another an action thriller.

I hope he succeeds. He's put in the work. He's not a bad actor either. Liked him in American Gangster and Californication.

Comment

This movie is so up my alley. I'm stoked to see it.

Tomorrow there's a bunch of guys including my husband are going to pull a plane at the Ontario airport for a troop benefit, then we're going to watch this movie. Because testosterone.
        Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Now if only there was a movie where a man had iron on his entire body, like some kind of iron suit or something

Comment

Originally posted by mge457 View Post
            This movie doesn't really look like my cup of tea, but I'm impressed it was made for $15 million (especially since there is a 4 hour cut floating out there). RZA plays the role of rapper turned producer on Californication by the name of Samurai Apocalypse. Pretty outrageous role.

Also, I think NWA might give Wu-Tang a run for it's money with influence on hip hop.

I've read that there's a three-hour cut, and I think Wu-Tang Clan (Staten Island representatives) ten times cooler than NWA.
            "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
              I've read that there's a three-hour cut, and I think Wu-Tang Clan (Staten Island representatives) ten times cooler than NWA.
              No point in an NWA versus Wu-Tang Clan debate. Completely different types of hip-hop.

I'm definitely catching this sometime this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
                Hope it is legit.

Prayers up for the Staten Island resident post Sandy. They're really getting it.
                "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
                -Maya Angelou

Comment

Had all the Wu-Tang albums back in the day...this movie was cool action. I thought the dialogue was pretty weak along with Rza's acting, but he wasn't horrible. Overall the movie was what I expected...good action and some basic entertainment.

I saw the short film he did on this several years ago without a big budget and strictly on his own merit and using his own resources with live actors...it was pretty horrible. Like beyond high school experimentation horrible...so I wonder how much hand holding was needed for a first time feature director going from that to a $15 Million dollar production. That's a pretty sharp learning curve. Yes I know he studied with Tarantino for several years but some stuff you just have to learn on your own as you actually do it. Especially directing.

Overall I think he turned this out ok, I'm interested to see the numbers on it and hope he gets even better. We need some new blood in Hollywood with some new fresh ideas. Not the same old directors recycling all their old hit movies.
                  One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

I really wanted to like this.

Sad to say, it did not work for me.
                    Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

A kung-fu movie directed by a rapper...something tells me the integrity of the screenwriting was not on the list of priorities for this one.

Comment

Supposedly Eli Roth co-wrote the script as well...not that that is saying much.
                        One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Originally posted by Juno Styles View Post
                          Supposedly Eli Roth co-wrote the script as well...not that that is saying much.
                          Just more fuel to my fire.

Comment

I HATE hip-hop.

Wu Tang Clan annoy the sh1t out of me on all those classic kung fu flicks that got re-released... but hats off to the blokes for earning their living by doing what they love.

I'll catch the flick because I love kung fu stuff, but if it's pants, I'll be sure to rage about the Poo-tang Clan forever (because I'm a genre fan-boy).
                            Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Clan in da front! Let ya feet stomp!
                              I learned to write by writing - Neil Gaiman

Comment

Working...
                              X