Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nicholl 2019

Nope. When I've submitted 1, 2 or 3, I got 3 emails. I'd give 'em a ding, since on their FB page they've announced that they "all" went out 12 hours ago - but maybe be sure to check your 'Trash' box first!

Comment

And just as a reminder...

If you do or don't place, that's not an indication of whether of or not you can get signed and do well with producers. Again, two scripts of mine that did zero in Nicholl did very well with agents and producers. TRY regardless!

Good luck!
      Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Oh, and what about those who tried to strategize their submissions for Nicholl - thinking this genre script would be better than that one, etc.?

Previously, I'd sent them anything and everything, but this time I chose my Frank Capra big piece of Apple Pie and Mom Americana. I thought: "It's a sure thing!" After all, the Yankees are going to be tearing themselves apart in their Election, in just over a year, so I had dreams of this being made by then (yeah, right) because a story that highlighted the best of them, instead of picking sides, ought to do well, eh?

Well, the email said something about 2 positive reads, whatever that means.

Incidentally, back in June I'd posted the first two pages of the script in question, over on this thread:

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...84&postcount=6

Sorry, for your amusement here was the log that went along with the submission:

At the height of the Great Depression, a wealthy older man who’s
        losing his memory wants his estate to go to someone needy, so he launches
        a quest with his trusted valet and his attorney-in-disguise to find the
        perfect candidate.
        Last edited by catcon; 07-26-2019, 11:40 AM. Reason: Oops, added log for reference

Comment

Originally posted by DarkKnight(OfTheSoul)
          sits quietly...
          One year, I was a reader for a contest I had scripts submitted too. I got the reader job after I entered, found it on craigslist for 10 bucks a read. I told myself, well if I get my own script I'll throw it back, but the rest I'll just be honest. And I was curious as hell to see what my pears were writing. Good learning experience for me.

I wouldn't do that again, but I was just starting out. At the time I was thinking, this is how you find your readers??? But again, at least I had good intentions. I figured if I turn down the job, they'll just replace me with probably someone else that has skin in the game. For all I know all the readers were just like me. I mean for 10 bucks -- probably!

I think I submitted a sample to get the job (probably free coverage they used on a script regardless if they hired you or not I bet). The reviews I gave out where a whole lot better than the crappy ones I got back on my own script.

So yeah, these contests aren't so super well run thing all the time.

Comment

It's that time of year again... I want to read your Nicholls QF script! But only send me if you are amazing, aren't afraid to be judged harshly and maybe ignored completely. I'm not going to audition for writers who are ONLY Nicholls QF, so send me or don't.

Lee @ stobbyent.com

FROM TWITTER

Comment

Originally posted by Rando View Post
              I entered 3 scripts but only got email notification for 2.

Did anyone else have this happen?

Yeah, I submitted three but only got one feedback (top 10%).

I'm assuming the other two were rejections, but didn't get the boilerplate letter.

Comment

Originally posted by Procrastinator View Post
                Yeah, I submitted three but only got one feedback (top 10%).

I’m assuming the other two were rejections, but didn’t get the boilerplate letter.
                As I implied here:
                Previous post on this very concern
                If you've paid for 2 or 3 submissions, you deserve an email for each. What if yours slipped through the cracks?!

Or, what if it were one of the quarterfinal emails, and IT slipped through the cracks.. and here you are, a quarterfinalist and don't even know it!

Comment

Originally posted by catcon View Post
                  As I implied here:
                  Previous post on this very concern
                  If you've paid for 2 or 3 submissions, you deserve an email for each. What if yours slipped through the cracks?!

Or, what if it were one of the quarterfinal emails, and IT slipped through the cracks.. and here you are, a quarterfinalist and don't even know it!

Just got word.

No QF, as I suspected.

One of my other scripts cracked the top 15%, though.

Comment

Made the QF even though I realized I had submitted a slightly older and less-refined version of the script, oy!

Comment

• Re: Nicholl 2019

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                      It's that time of year again... I want to read your Nicholls QF script! But only send me if you are amazing, aren't afraid to be judged harshly and maybe ignored completely. I'm not going to audition for writers who are ONLY Nicholls QF, so send me or don't.

Lee @ stobbyent.com

FROM TWITTER
                      Thanks for posting this, by the way.

Comment

They told me they hated my script and that I should kill myself. Sheesh.

Comment

Originally posted by DDoc View Post
                          They told me they hated my script and that I should kill myself. Sheesh.
                          I've actually gotten that note! From my last reps.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                            I've actually gotten that note! From my last reps.
                            Lol wtf? Seriously?

Anyway I didn't get past the first two readers but their comments were pretty nice.

Round 1 - Read 1 Comments:

A compelling teaser opening hooks the reader immediately with the mystery of what lies within the mines. That mystery remains compelling throughout, while achieving the admirable balancing act of being genuinely scary in parts, with real stakes (the demons crawling out of the fire! The terrifying demon birth in the inner sanctum of the jinn!) - but also bringing the reader along for a fun, high-spirited adventure. Descriptive passages are excellent at bringing the landscape visually to life, and keeping us oriented geographically as to where all the players are on the board (mine, tavern, temple, etc). And though there is a fairly wide cast of characters, the script did an excellent job of introducing them all in memorable ways, underlining and emphasizing characters which would play major roles, and efficiently cueing the audience on supporting characters (even when the initial carefully crafted impressions of them are revealed to be misleading).

Dialogue manages to feel timeless and epic, yet natural (never stiff or wooden), which is no easy task. I enjoyed the growth of Hassan from feckless, immature princeling to serious and honorable man - though I admit I was surprised to see the story's final moments spent with him, rather than Kassim, who I considered the real hero of our story.

A fun, quick read.

Round 1 - Read 2 Comments:

The Mountain That Eats Men is a well crafted story with some extremely charming characters. Hassan is an especially fun character to read and I love his growth from stereotypical snobby prince to a savior to all of his newfound friends. I also enjoyed the friendship between Farid and Haidar in contrast to the growing friendship between Kassim and Hassan.

I loved most of the characters, especially the main duo, however, I would love to see Oma and Amalia's characters developed more. There isn't a female character until around halfway into the story, which is fine, but I would just like to see a stronger female presence, especially in the action scenes at the end. Oma seems like a firecracker and I would like to see her stand up for herself and show off her fighting skills.

The action was very well written, especially the fight on the ship between Hassan and Kassim. The dialogue in the script was very funny and light and I enjoyed reading the different voices of each character and discovering their wit.

Nicer than I thought they'd be, even though I got jack **** out of submitting.

Comment

Man, I wish these were $20 cheaper. I'm always so torn about paying for them...

Comment

Originally posted by Hernan Giaggio View Post
                                Man, I wish these were $20 cheaper. I'm always so torn about paying for them...
                                $20 cheaper?

They should be more expensive. The readers should get paid more. It might translate to even better notes.

If you can't invest $20 in your career then maybe it's not that important to you. $20 is nothing. It's a movie ticket. It's a little gas. It's a t-shirt.

Every extra cent you should reinvest into your career. If you're serious.

Not to preach or anything. Just my thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                                X