Ever Sent a Script That Wasn't Ready and Still Got Signed?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever Sent a Script That Wasn't Ready and Still Got Signed?

i just sent in a script and right after i sent it, realized i could add two really great scenes. subsequently i think the one i sent is maybe 5 percent inferior so im wondering which of you had the same or different experience. did they ever want to sign you even though they said your script could use a few tweaks or did it have to be awesome from the start? the script did okay at a few top tier contests, too.

waiting to hear back

Re: Ever Sent a Script That Wasn't Ready and Still Got Signed?

I've followed up with reps on a script submission, and when they answered that they still hadn't had the time to read, I've answered, "well in that case, I'm taking the liberty of attaching the latest version, I've made a few changes etc."

No big deal. In my experience, it can take weeks and even months for a manager or agent to read the script they requested from you, so go for it. Chances are, they still haven't printed a hard copy, so really, who cares?

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post

No big deal. In my experience, it can take weeks and even months for a manager or agent to read the script they requested from you, so go for it. Chances are, they still haven't printed a hard copy, so really, who cares?
      It does sort of go against the conventional wisdom that you should only submit your best work. 2nd thoughts aside, you might feel there are ways to improve it from submission to submission, but you should really feel its as good as you can make it (at that point in time).

Managers also may want to have their input on the situation so it should be the best that YOU think it is when you send it off.

I am not sure if it takes them months to read or if that is something you might want!

Comment

No, but I once went on a date when I wasn't ready and I still got lucky.

Comment

I have a script in at a management company who requested it nearly 2 months after I queried, then took months to get to it (each time I followed up they said no, it still hasn't been read yet, but it will --first their clients, then scripts in the order they were requested). I also have it in at a big agency and they told me, after I followed up nearly 2 months after I sent it, that they still hadn't gotten around to reading it. They were very nice about it and even apologized for the delay.

So while no response typically means a pass, it's also good to remember that these things can take time.

And writers are always tweaking their material. Five minutes after we send out a script we suddenly think of a better word for a particular scene. I have read my latest script hundreds of times, and yesterday to my horror discovered a glaring mistake that I missed each and every other time around. But this wasn't picked up by any of the friends or fellow writers who read it either, so hopefully it wasn't really that glaring

Maybe it's not the utmost professional thing to do, sending in a better version of a script to a rep that already has an earlier versioin, however I would rather take that chance than have them read an inferior version.

Comment

My first manager barely had any comments, then got it to an agency who wanted to change it a bunch.

The manager I just got is still giving me notes on a script that I sent him in November- and last time he handed me a script with more of his handwriting on it than my writing.... so overall, I'd say don't sweat it - people are going to like the concept, but want changes...

Comment

Originally posted by lordmanji View Post
              i just sent in a script and right after i sent it, realized i could add two really great scenes. subsequently i think the one i sent is maybe 5 percent inferior so im wondering which of you had the same or different experience. did they ever want to sign you even though they said your script could use a few tweaks or did it have to be awesome from the start? the script did okay at a few top tier contests, too.

waiting to hear back
              I had a script that I gave to an agency and they wanted a major rewrite with a big tonal shift. They signed me, I did the rewrite, it went out, it didn't sell.

Comment

When I first started out, I'd sent one script to a big agency which was a big mistake, because the script was a crappy 1st draft (but I thought it was Oscar worthy)...and the agent responded simply "are you crazy sending me something like this?"

I just took it as a serious learning lesson to never, NEVER send a script that isn't absolutely READY.

As a unsigned writer, it's a must to only submit the best draft. My agent and manager read new material only if referred, and I am telling you, they ridicule scripts to death.

So be careful about sending scripts that aren't ready.

~CC

Comment

Working...
                X