Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silver seeks script savvy help...

SexI'm a retired senior who believes I have worthy autobiographical stories to share, and while not a professional writer, I've managed to put down a storyline that needs skilled fine tuning.

I'm searching for someone with the ability to groom what I have into something marketable and be as devoted as I am to the success of the project. A person who can brainstorm and work well together mostly by phone or online. If you happen to live in Va. even better!

Writing emotional scenes, editing the story flow, instinctively knowing what will be more impactful, and get feelings on the page, are all pluses towards my goal.

Co writer, collaborator, editor, whatever??? I need this done right. Does this sound like you? If so, send a sample of your emotion based writing skills to: [email protected] pay: $25. Per hr. Or?
    Last edited by SeniorStoryTeller; 07-12-2019, 10:34 AM. Reason: No reply

Re: Silver seeks script savvy help...

I'd be happy to help you with this, but my rate is $100 per hour.

You can see samples on my website:

www.lauridonahue.com
    "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Originally posted by SeniorStoryTeller View Post
      Sex I'm a retired senior who believes I have worthy autobiographical stories to share, and while not a professional writer, I've managed to put down a storyline that needs skilled fine tuning.

I'm not a big pro screenwriter, nor am I looking on rain on your parade. But you do need to consider this...

Having worked with several true-life projects, I can tell you that, on the film side at least, autobiographical works can have incredibly large hurdles. One of the main concerns of the financing firms behind every movie is the required E&O insurance (Errors and Omissions). It covers anything that may have been missed (defamation-wise) that the studio could be sued over. A film won't be made, and the insurance would also be impossible to get, if the life rights to each and every real life individual depicted has not already been legally obtained (we had to actually cut a minor character out because they could not obtain his rights from him, and a different project got totally scuttled after a person WHO WASN'T EVEN GOING TO BE DEPICTED IN THE FILM threatened to sue because of the way her dead husband was portrayed). So, unless these people actually want you to make a film about them, are willing to sign their rights over to you, and are okay with being depicted in a possibly bad light, there's a real risk a producer would not be willing to take this on. Even if you fictionalize it, if there are enough similarities to the real people, they can still sue. (You can really only get away with doing that if the people depicted are public figures).

Again, your results may vary, more experienced folks may have better advice, and results from fiber intake may vary.

Comment

Dan, I know you are right, but what a downer!

I looked up an article on all of this by using Google, and read it.

This is obviously just a racket that exists because lawyers, like sharks, look for any opportunity to attack and devour. The problem is that virtually none of the potential cases would have any real basis to justify a lawsuit. But everyone runs in fear of lawsuits, and that means that everyone feels compelled to get insurance and to make sure that nothing, no matter how trivial or lacking in legal basis, will interfere with getting the insurance.

Consider The People vs Larry Flynt. Did the producers really get a release from Jerry Falwell for the portrayal of him in that film? Hard to believe. I guess Falwell qualified as a "public person". But how about less prominent people in a real or quasi-real story? And how about characters who are partially based on minor figures (almost totally unknown to the general public, hence not really public), and how about composite characters based on other minor players in some real-life drama?

All of this is ridiculous. And, according to the article that I read, the sticking point is distribution. The distributors want the film to have the insurance.

In any case, I find all of this very discouraging. Thanks a lot, Dan!

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Sad, but true, though.

I was hired to write a biopic. Every person and incident used in the screenplay came straight from the subjects. But the producer still wanted ME to sign for the responsibility for any liability in case of any defamation claims.

Needless to say, my attorney shot that clause completely out of the water. (She earns every cent of her fee, believe me!)

Comment

Working...
          X