• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nicholl 2016

That makes sense - thanks much :-)

Comment

Advanced to QF with an action script. Congrats to fellow QFs!

Comment

Originally posted by dworhach View Post
        Advanced to QF with an action script. Congrats to fellow QFs!

Congratulations to you and all the others who made the Quarter Finals in 2016's Nicholl Contest.

Now, anyone know when we might be getting notifications about the semi-finals? Would it be this week, or the next?

Comment

Originally posted by Woody_Python View Post
          Congratulations to you and all the others who made the Quarter Finals in 2016's Nicholl Contest.

Now, anyone know when we might be getting notifications about the semi-finals? Would it be this week, or the next?
          This week - as in today.

Comment

Congrats, y'all.

Comment

I'm in with JESSE'S GOLD - semifinalist. Second year in a row. (Not that I'm bragging, but you know)
              We gain our innocence by taking yours.

Comment

Originally posted by AE35-Unit View Post
                I'm in with JESSE'S GOLD - semifinalist. Second year in a row. (Not that I'm bragging, but you know)
                Congrats to you and others who moved forward. I'm out.

My website:www.marjorykaptanoglu.com

Comment

I'm in with KNOT OF TOADS. Wow, they're early. I wasn't even going to start checking my email for another week. Nice. No stress. Congratulations to JESSE'S GOLD and any other script that gets in.

Comment

Originally posted by P-jay View Post
                    I'm in with KNOT OF TOADS. Wow, they're early. I wasn't even going to start checking my email for another week. Nice. No stress. Congratulations to JESSE'S GOLD and any other script that gets in.
                    Actually, I guess it's the screenwriter who should get the congrats.

Comment

Reader comments are now available.

Comment

I have to say I was a bit disappointed with my comments. Both picked out a key scene in the script -- the death of a key character -- and drew the exact opposite impressions. I suppose that's the nature of the business, but I was annoyed that the second reader (the one with the lower score) mis-identified the character as another character's daughter when it was his wife. I'm chalking it up to these guys and gals read lots of scripts in a short space of time so a detail or two may get muddled.

Comment

Hi Greg, I wanted to thank you for the professionalism displayed by your readers. I just finished reading my comments and found them to be constructive and buoying rather than insulting as in the comments of another highly regarded screenwriting competition. While opinions differed among the readers, it was clear that all had a firm knowledge of my story and not read just a few opening scenes. I will rework some of my screenplay and resubmit next year.

Comment

P.S. - But I'd like to add, after my terrible notes, this is the last year I purchase them. Nicholl is just a crap shoot like any other contest, with the *only* difference being street cred if you win. One script I sent was a second rounder at Austin this year -- they had 9000+ entries -- another made finalist in TWO competitions. My advice, FWIW, *never* (ever ever) submit a time travel story. The readers will simply roll their eyes and glaze over. "Predestination," the movie based on Heinlein story, cited by Michio Kaku as the "best time travel story ever," and a film *which got made* (with Ethan Hawke) is farrrrrrr more complex than my endeavor, and yet that was the eye rollers main issue. Again, a piece that was a finalist. Twice. I will continue to submit for the *early bird* prices, but it's a crap shoot like all the others. Totally subjective.

9000+ entries, y'all (but that was a comedy. Watch your step there, too).

Comment

Originally posted by nativeson View Post
                              My advice, FWIW, *never* (ever ever) submit a time travel story. The readers will simply roll their eyes and glaze over. "Predestination," the movie based on Heinlein story, cited by Michio Kaku as the "best time travel story ever," and a film *which got made* (with Ethan Hawke) is farrrrrrr more complex than my endeavor, and yet that was the eye rollers main issue. Again, a piece that was a finalist. Twice. I will continue to submit for the *early bird* prices, but it's a crap shoot like all the others. Totally subjective.
                              There's a writing team I met a few years ago when I was a Finalist that might disagree... I guess it's a good thing they didn't take your advice since they were awarded a Nicholl Fellowship with their time travel script. That is, unless I'm mistaken, but pretty sure it was time travel story.

Anyway, the "crapshoot" comment certainly has merit, mostly because... is there anybody on this forum that would disagree that subjectivity is just the nature of the industry overall. Of course, we all want to write a great script and if we feel like we nailed it, then why doesn't everyone else agree that we nailed it... when it seems that some do... and some don't? Cue the Bruce Hornsby music: "That's just the way it is..."

Comment

True, but not my point. And there was a point, which is: If you're beyond your first few scripts, purchasing their notes is a total waste of money. And the second point as well: because it's so subjective, it's really no different than any other top contest.* So know that going in, and save a few bucks by submitting early.

*I addressed the inflated value of winning, but that has no bearing on the other issues.

Comment

Working...
                                X