No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agent, Manager, Or Both??

Good morning everyone,

I have a screenplay that I want to get to producer/director Nick Cassavetes AND his mother, Gena Rowlands. Should I:

Contact Nick's agent, manager, or both?

Contact Gena's agent, manager, or both?

For whoever you deem is the person to contact, what do you think of my contacting both at the same time? In other words:

Nick's agent or manager with a cc to Gena's agent or manager.

Sorry if this is confusing, but I appreciate your suggestions, especially the pros on this board. The script is perfect for Cassavetes, with a meaty role for Rowlands.

Thank you.

Re: Agent, Manager, Or Both??

I'm no pro, but I've gone down this road a number of times.

I've never gotten a favorable response from an agent in cases like this, ever. The question immediately comes up whether there's an offer, or whether the project is fully funded, and then comes either the polite pass or the total silence.

I have at least had some dialogue with managers and gotten my script into their hands on several occasions. So based on that I would start with managers, and no harm in copying the other, I would think.

Comment

If you go ahead with this, I'd do the managers, and both of them in the TO line. If you use a cc for one, that suggests one is more important than the other, which may not be what you want to imply.

Do you have an angle that's more than "this is perfect for" etc.?

I've only done this sort of thing once, when I cold-pitched to (of all people) Ryan Gosling's manager (or one of them) via IMDBpro. My "angle" was that I was writing from London, Ontario (his home town), and that the script was well-suited for him. Surprisingly, I got a response, but only that "Ryan's busy for the next few years, sorry".

Oh, I've also been able to hit up a few specific actors/directors or specific companies when they appeared on VPF, based on the suitability of specific scripts. But of course on VPF and other such services, you generally get poor response and there's no way to follow-up in a dialogue.

A well-crafted cold pitch, that doesn't promise too much, is free and is the way to go. What do you have to lose?

Comment

Managers. They too will ask if it's funded, but will be nicer about it because if it is they can attach themselves as a producer. But... without funding in place the chances of any kind of success are slim and none. But.... it never hurts to try. Just don't expect much. Good luck.

Comment

Agree with the others. I pitched a script to Kerry Washington's manager and got a request. Not so with Diane Lane's agent, who (guess what?) asked if there was any funding.

Originally posted by catcon View Post
          I got a response, but only that "Ryan's busy for the next few years, sorry".
          That's the ultimate blowoff, lol. Guess I'll cancel my pitch to Leo Dicaprio...
          "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Thanks to all of you. You're the best.

I've never had any luck with agents, either, other than the "funding" question.

I will try the "to both managers" and see what happens. Catcon, no, I don't have an "angle," other than being a longtime Cassavetes fan (John, Gena, etc.)

It just came to me: Maybe that's an angle. The story is very personal. Has to do with my family. A sort of "keeping it in the family" thing.

And, right: What do I have to lose?

Comment

Since Cassavetes was supposed to be directing "Have You Seen Her" for Metalworks pictures, it might be worth exploring that avenue as well. Producer Andrew Levitas heads Metalwork Pictures.
              Of course, you probably already knew that.

Originally posted by MargoChanning View Post
              Good morning everyone,

I have a screenplay that I want to get to producer/director Nick Cassavetes AND his mother, Gena Rowlands. Should I:

Contact Nick's agent, manager, or both?

Contact Gena's agent, manager, or both?

For whoever you deem is the person to contact, what do you think of my contacting both at the same time? In other words:

Nick's agent or manager with a cc to Gena's agent or manager.

Sorry if this is confusing, but I appreciate your suggestions, especially the pros on this board. The script is perfect for Cassavetes, with a meaty role for Rowlands.

Thank you.

Comment

Yes, DF, thanks. I did know, but didn't consider that so I i will do that.

Ok, so help me decipher the following, please: I wrote what I believe to be a pretty damn good e-query to Cassavete's and Rowland's managers. Both on one, as suggested.

I got a "reply to all," from Rowland's manager, who said "Start with Nick."

What am I supposed to make of that? Wait and see if I get a reply from Cassavete's rep? Should I somehow "push the issue?"

I appreciate all your help.

Comment

People in Hollywood look at projects/scripts differently when they come from a manager and not a writer. There's a perception that if you don't have a manager that you're not good enough and you haven't written anything worthy yet of representation. Perhaps not fair but that's my experience.

Comment

What am I supposed to make of that? Wait and see if I get a reply from Cassavete's rep? Should I somehow "push the issue?"
                    In essence, yes. You need to wait a little and see if Nick's manager gets back to you in a timely fashion first. Rowlands' manager is washing their hands of any decisions and taking a quick out on this. (They are simply deflecting and sending the ball into someone else's court.)

If Nick agrees to it and shows interest, then that's a sign of approval from not only a working director but her own son. Not an unknown writer saying, "But my script is great for her," so to speak.

Her manager is there to field real offers. Not maybes. Not possibilities. If you can offer her $100K for a week's worth of work, for example, and you sound legitimate about it, then the manager will probably take a look. Nor is she going to march into some production company and say, "I want to do this" and it's going to get it greenlit. Tom Cruise? Julia Roberts? Yes. Rowlands? No.

And as you seem to be aware, Nick has multiple projects in development that he is attached to already as either the director or writer/director, so that could be a tough nut to crack, of course. But follow up with his manager next week some time to at least politely see if there would be any interest. Could you a least submit it to him/the manager to consider for Nick? Etc. And also what DangoForth suggested as well. Get to him through production companies & producers he has worked with before, if the manager doesn't respond or offer to read.
                    Will
                    Done Deal Pro
                    www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Yes, DF, thanks. I did know, but didn't consider that so I i will do that.

Ok, so help me decipher the following, please: I wrote what I believe to be a pretty damn good e-query to Cassavete's and Rowland's managers. Both on one, as suggested.

I appreciate all your help.
                      Don't push it. Gena Rowland is 88 years old and probably would take her lead from her son. One rule I've learned from doing this for years is that when people respond with specific requests? They mean them and they expect you to honor them. In doing so, you show respect and they learn a lot about your ability to listen.

Comment

Originally posted by CrissCross View Post
                        People in Hollywood look at projects/scripts differently when they come from a manager and not a writer. There's a perception that if you don't have a manager that you're not good enough and you haven't written anything worthy yet of representation. Perhaps not fair but that's my experience.
                        I had a manager who quit the industry, in the middle of shopping this very script, to join the ministry.

Yep. Don't ask.

Comment

Great advice. Thanks, Will.

Comment

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
                            Don't push it. Gena Rowland is 88 years old and probably would take her lead from her son. One rule I've learned from doing this for years is that when people respond with specific requests? They mean them and they expect you to honor them. In doing so, you show respect and they learn a lot about your ability to listen.
                            The character in my script is also in her 80s, but I get where you're coming from. I'll do nothing for now. Most likely, nothing will come of it, anyway. No funding, no deal.

Thanks, EF.

Comment

Working...
                            X