No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ninja Assassin

Originally posted by gravitas
    JMO, but I'll tell you why I disagree with this line of thinking. To execute something really brilliant and successful, Matrix for example, you have to rise above expectations, not just meet them. You have to create something so compelling, that everyone, not just fans of the said genre, will leave their home theaters and kids will put away their video games to show up to a theater opening weekend.

I love ninjas. I even had claws when I was a kid. But Ninja Assassin failed on so many levels, I don't know where to begin.
    Fair enough. But answer me this, what would be an example of a ninja movie that rises above the expectations in your opinion?

Also Ninja Assassain did succeed on one important level. It was a movie about ninjas, an R-rated one at that, that got a major release in theaters across the globe.

Ultimately ninja movies are critic proof, and expecting anything more than a popcorn movie going into Ninja Assassain is just retarded IMO.

I think using the first Matrix film as an example is not fair, because there was nothing like The Matrix when it came out. There was no frame of reference. There was no expectations. With a ninja movie the expectations going in are it's going to be mindless fun. A guilty pleasure good or bad.

BTW You had the claws too!! I did too as a kid! Those were awesome. I think I'm going to dig out the rubber numchucks for old times sake.
    Excedrin Migraine. Red Bull. Fade in.

Sinister Scrawlings

Comment

Originally posted by RyanJackson View Post
      Fair enough. But answer me this, what would be an example of a ninja movie that rises above the expectations in your opinion?

Also Ninja Assassain did succeed on one important level. It was a movie about ninjas, an R-rated one at that, that got a major release in theaters across the globe.

Ultimately ninja movies are critic proof, and expecting anything more than a popcorn movie going into Ninja Assassain is just retarded IMO.

I think using the first Matrix film as an example is not fair, because there was nothing like The Matrix when it came out. There was no frame of reference. There was no expectations. With a ninja movie the expectations going in are it's going to be mindless fun. A guilty pleasure good or bad.

BTW You had the claws too!! I did too as a kid! Those were awesome. I think I'm going to dig out the rubber numchucks for old times sake.
      Okay Ryan, I can tell I'm going to have a tough time swaying you, but how does Ninja Assassin stack up to Kill Bill?

And Matrix was an action film. It's a perfect example of a film that rose above critical expectations for its genre.

Comment

Originally posted by gravitas View Post
        Okay Ryan, I can tell I'm going to have a tough time swaying you, but how does Ninja Assassin stack up to Kill Bill?

And Matrix was an action film. It's a perfect example of a film that rose above critical expectations for its genre.
        Kill Bill is not a ninja movie. True both Ninja Assassain and Kill Bill are both Martial Arts films, but ninja films are a sub-genre of the Martial Arts genre. In respect to Kill Bill, it's a Tarantino film, and Tarantino films have become a sub-genre in their own right.

The Matrix is a Science Fiction film first. Yes it can be accurately classified as an Sci Fi/Action film, but it is no doubt Science Fiction first and foremost. So the critical expectations for a Science Fiction film are much higher. When you make a Science Fiction film it will be measured by great films such as Kubrick's 2001, or Blade Runner. Now when you make a ninja movie the bar is what? American Ninja? Shadow Of The Ninja? See what I'm saying? The bar is set very low in reguards to this specific sub- genre. It's a guilty pleasure sub-genre. Ninja Assassain is an exploitation movie disguised as a budget Hollywood movie really.

You have to know what type of film it is going into it. I think a lot of people are placing unrealistc expectations on this movie when they level their criticisms on it. I mean it is, what it is.

Sinister Scrawlings

Comment

The Matrix is all setting, you take it away and the Matrix is nothing but a laughable chosen one cliche. Yes, I'm one of those people who thought Dark City was superior to the Matrix...

Anyway, Kill Bill for the win!

Ninja Scroll is the only good ninja movie that comes to mind when I think about ninjas. But I think Ninja's suffer from the same thing that Zombies do, the serious factor -- no one takes them seriously. Everyone is waiting for a film to raise the bar, there's hope that World War Z will do it, we'll have to wait and see.

Either way, Ninja Assassin didn't raise the bar.

Comment

Best ninja out there is... Naruto!

Comment

Originally posted by Why One View Post
              Best ninja out there is... Naruto!
              We can never be friends... ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Xnod View Post
                Either way, Ninja Assassin didn't raise the bar.
                This is my point. Ryan is saying it didn't have to raise the bar. Well no movie has to raise the bar. Tarrantino certainly didn't have to take exploitation and turn it into art. But he did. Some movies raise the bar. Some movies settle for mediocrity. Some viewers do too... cough... RYAN.

Just to add: After V for Vendetta, I expected a lot more from McTeigue and the Wachowskis producing.

P.S. I'm totally kidding Ryan.
                Last edited by gravitas; 03-24-2010, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Subject yourselves to a marathon of Godfrey Ho Ninja flicks. Then marvel as you try to gnaw your arm off...
                  @MacBullitt

Comment

Kill Bill cannot even be mentioned as a comparison to anything... aside from maybe a Troma flick!
                    Seriously, I hate the way that Tarantino's actors don't know if they're in a serious film or comedy, so churn out these really out-of-place scenes like The Bride waking to find she's lost her baby!

Anyway, a recent ninja film I really enjoyed was Shinobi: Heart Under Blade.

Xnod, and I hated the third Matrix with it's Brothers-in-arms bullsh*t - the cliché of men over-coming differences in battling a joint foe.
                    True, the first film had that "The One" stupidity attached to it, but it also made great use of Ingo Swan's The Matrix Theory, pretty much the same way Star Wars took Chi - something not too well known in the West back then - and renamed it "The Force".
                    Last edited by Grandmaster; 06-29-2011, 10:06 AM. Reason: Because ASTRID Swan is a Finnish singer. D'oh!
                    Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Originally posted by gravitas View Post
                      Just to add: After V for Vendetta, I expected a lot more from McTeigue and the Wachowskis producing.
                      The Wachowski's are one trick ponies, they have done nothing worth seeing since the first Matrix.

V for Vendetta was good, if you haven't read the comic. The best thing about that movie was V's constant honesty which was hilarious. Other than that, they butchered the character of V.

Originally posted by Grandmaster View Post
                      Anyway, a recent ninja film I really enjoyed was Shinobi: Heart Under Blade.
                      What's even more interesting about that film is it's a live action adaption of the anime Basilisk which I haven't actually seen (even though I have it).

Comment

It's cool gravitas, I live in Ohio so I'm no stranger to settling for mediocrity.

Sinister Scrawlings

Comment

Originally posted by Twofingeredtypist View Post
                          Subject yourselves to a marathon of Godfrey Ho Ninja flicks. Then marvel as you try to gnaw your arm off...
                          I totally agree Twofinger. The Godfrey Ho ninja flims are abismal. They make Ninja Assassain look like the Citzen Kane of ninja films in comparison.

Sinister Scrawlings

Comment

Originally posted by Xnod View Post
                            The Wachowski's are one trick ponies, they have done nothing worth seeing since the first Matrix.

V for Vendetta was good, if you haven't read the comic. The best thing about that movie was V's constant honesty which was hilarious. Other than that, they butchered the character of V.

What's even more interesting about that film is it's a live action adaption of the anime Basilisk which I haven't actually seen (even though I have it).
                            wachowski's made Assassins too. coupled with the original matrix shows they're not a one trick pony.

the best ninja movie to come out wasnt even live action. i totally agree that it was an anime called ninja scroll.

Comment

Originally posted by lordmanji View Post
                              wachowski's made Assassins too. coupled with the original matrix shows they're not a one trick pony.

the best ninja movie to come out wasnt even live action. i totally agree that it was an anime called ninja scroll.
                              Assassins was before the Matrix, and they didn't direct it anyway. Was nothing special, especially in the Hitman genre.

So I stand by my one trick pony comment...

Comment

Ninja Scroll is truly awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                X