Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peeves

-Opening credits that run for five minutes. I might wish to watch the film before I peruse as to who is responsible for the good and not so good.

-After the first scene, the words ONE WEEK EARLIER scroll across. IMO opinion, messing with the temporal trail rarely is an advantage.

-Two of the major characters look too much alike.

-Editing that breaks the visual plane.

-Bonding/bromance scenes that gone on and on in anticipation of the heist/battle. I love you man, mean it. I would die for you. Well, maybe not.

-Use of the f... word over and over.

-The background music is too loud.

-Historic newscasts. Hey, I was there, I remember. If you are too young to remember, you most likely don't wished to be educated.

-Obvious rhyming scenes. I treasure the good ones, but don't hit me over the head with a two-by-four.

As my wife says, quit making comments and watch the movie.

Re: Peeves

I was halfway through your list thinking you were talking about a movie called "Peeves" that contained ALL these things

Comment

-When a message or theme becomes ham-fisted propaganda and it's clear that it is more important to the creators than the quality of the story. On that note- sacrificing authenticity for "woke" points when it doesn't make sense.

-Bad acting, specifically when a villainous character tries to appear menacing but the delivery is cringey and unintentionally funny.

-A lackluster ending. Ruins the entire movie.

-If based on a novel or whatever, alterations to the source material that end up making the story WORSE. I see this far more than I see changes that improve the story, though that happens as well (the early seasons of GOT are a good example of positive changes).

Comment

leaving the car door or front door open.

i agree on swearing. it's okay if it's within the context of the character but otherwise it just dumbs down the character.

character eating. don't mind watching it but I don't have to hear the clanking of the bowl or the character slurping while talking.

dialogue explaining when we can see it unfolding.

i'm sure i have plenty more.

Comment

Sequels that rip 50% or more of their material from previous films.

Comment

Bad cgi

long rambling dialog that over-explains

flashbacks that are overused and/or put in for no reason

random nudity thrown in to make up for writing a bad story/bad directing

writing that goes nowhere to try to seem "edgy", "artsy", or other excuses

and mumbles... actors who can't seem to talk without mumbling or sounding like they have a mouthful of food when they are not eating.

Comment

Excessive sound mixing that makes it hard to pick out the spoken words from all the other (loud) sounds added.

"If we all work together, we can do this!" "Heck yeah, let's do this!"

Opening credits and title don't appear in first ten minutes. That includes you James Bond.

Comment

ALL of the above, plus:

Badly imitated accents (Killing Season, Blown Away, others)

Poor articulation or elocution and/or speaking too softly (don’t make me have to turn on closed-captioning, damn it!)
                (lazy acting, and this never seemed to happen in movies before circa the 1990s; technology became better, so acting became lax?)

Unbelievable character action (Example: antagonist out to kill protagonist and then not killing when the chance arises — Killing Season)

Excessive expository dialogue (Australia)

Two movie storylines in one overlong movie (Australia)
                Last edited by Clint Hill; 02-19-2020, 08:43 PM.
                “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Getting out of the bus/metro/train and just standing there, blocking other people.

Comment

Awful pacing, rhythm, stressing, and worst and most imprtant of all, inflection that takes the piss out of a perfectly crafted line of dialogue.

(How you can hear in your head the way the actor ought to have uttered the line, but it’s as though the actor just wanted to “interpret it their way,” or more likely, didn’t care about giving it the same energy for every take. Sheesh.
                    Last edited by Clint Hill; 02-19-2020, 08:47 PM.
                    “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Working...
                    X