No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I did it my wayyyyyyyy

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
    anything really cool SHOULD be in your pilot.

your pilot should have all the specialness in it. don't hold back. you may never get to show them the rest of the series. get the good **** in there!

remember, the pilot can change. it should represent your vision. you're not being paid to write a pilot you pitched so anything and everything is game.
    Agreed.

Unless we're talking season 2 set pieces. Then put it in the bible.

But, if it's super friggin cool and you need to say it NOW for us to *care*. Maybe you're starting the pilot too late. Hard to know sight unseen.

People here will disagree with me on this: But my pilots run long. My shortest pilots didn't get traction. My longest ones did. By long, 67 pages. One sold, the other landed me a top 5 producer.

Go a little long if you absolutely MUST and it's compelling the entire time. I don't recommend it. 55 is the sweet spot, but if you gotta go a little long, fukk it. I believe the Sopranos pilot was 66 (?) pages, it would have suffered at 55 pages. Just be absolutely certain there's no fat nor feels bloated. At 67 it's gotta feel TIGHT/LEAN.

But be warned: at 67 pages you're being VERY arrogant and taking a big risk.
    Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
      anything really cool SHOULD be in your pilot.

your pilot should have all the specialness in it. don't hold back. you may never get to show them the rest of the series. get the good **** in there!

Ideally yeah and I guess that's the problem with a show that doesn't end out encapsulated stories each episode. You can't just stuff all the writery goodness in the pilot.

Lets face it some things in shows like Breaking Bad or Lost or GoTs happen at a certain place in the series because that's where it fits in the story. Might have been great to start series (whatever) of GoT with the red wedding to get all the viewers lined up for the new series but that's not where that belong in the story.

In something like Grimm, Lucifer and the like I guess you get to cram everything 'sparkly' and golden into the pilot if you can get away with it.

Might have to go with Mr GucciG's idea and add my standout scenes in the bible.

FYI
      Cool scene 1 - surviving a "friendly" nuclear strike in a unique way - probably aiming at the second or third to last episode of S1

Cool scene 2 - The antagonist's step daughter is killed but there is a way to save her - cliff hanger final episode to set the stage for S2
      I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
        Lets face it some things in shows like Breaking Bad or Lost or GoTs happen at a certain place in the series because that's where it fits in the story. Might have been great to start series (whatever) of GoT with the red wedding to get all the viewers lined up for the new series but that's not where that belong in the story.
        Breaking Bad and Lost did not have even the first season planned out when they shot the pilot. And I would suggest going back and watching the first episode of GOT. The audience, at least the audience that hadn't read the books, had no idea how densely packed that first episode was. Starting the series with the Red Wedding would not have had the impact on the audience that it did had we not been following the Starks and their travails.
        Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

-Steve Trautmann
        3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast

Comment

Ideally yeah and I guess that's the problem with a show that doesn't end out encapsulated stories each episode. You can't just stuff all the writery goodness in the pilot.

In something like Grimm, Lucifer and the like I guess you get to cram everything 'sparkly' and golden into the pilot if you can get away with it.

Might have to go with Mr GucciG's idea and add my standout scenes in the bible.

FYI
          Cool scene 1 - surviving a "friendly" nuclear strike in a unique way - probably aiming at the second or third to last episode of S1

Cool scene 2 - The antagonist's step daughter is killed but there is a way to save her - cliff hanger final episode to set the stage for S2
          Ahh... I'm kinda getting where you're coming from. Yeah, sounds like it's too soon. I vote 'put it in the show bible.'

SHOW IT exactly how you want us to see it. Meaning: Hella photoshop to get us there visually. I'm a firm believer in 'make the bible look EXACTLY how the show looks (tone)', don't cut corners here.

With my bibles, if I can't find the perfect images to combine via photoshop, I'm gonna shoot it myself Guerrilla-style. Which is a blast. Then edit to taste (like adding rain to the image. Bright sunny day now looks dark, morbid and rainy. Exactly what I wanted).

Another example: A jet overhead. Original image had clear crisp blue skies. Not what I wanted. Photoshopped in a smoldering blood read sky at sunset. Looks rad. Have fun with it.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by KitchonaSteve View Post
            Breaking Bad and Lost did not have even the first season planned out when they shot the pilot. And I would suggest going back and watching the first episode of GOT. The audience, at least the audience that hadn't read the books, had no idea how densely packed that first episode was. Starting the series with the Red Wedding would not have had the impact on the audience that it did had we not been following the Starks and their travails.

Btw - to add to that. We all know that they had to reshoot like 80% of the pilot on GOT, yeah?

And be sure to read the LOST bible (different times, as it wasn't a visual show bible, only words). But, fascinating how much they're like "No idea what happens here, sorry! We'll figure it out as we go." In spots they literally say something to that effect.

Comment

i honestly don't remember Breaking Bad's pilot. sort of vaguely.

but i absolutely remember both LOST and GOT. they were awesome. both open and you're like WTF? it took so many episodes before we even saw the White Walkers again.

and the blind character slate in LOST was the key to the series. no one knew anything about anyone. every single episode was an exploration of characters because no one knew each other.

all i'm saying, is don't hold back. both GOT and LOST had WOW factor.

i love LOST my favorite ever series. well, maybe tied with GOT.
              "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

You know there is a format for what you set out to do. It's called a novel. A meaty novel has enough it in for about one season. Season one of Big Little Lies is essentially just the novel filmed. Same with the first season of the Leftovers. And Sharp Objects. Etc. I didn't watch Game of Thrones but isn't it one book per season until they ran out of books, and then everyone was like -- Oh Shoot.

Do you write prose? Because if you really want to tell "the whole story" in one fell swoop, going the novel route might make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by lostfootage View Post
                  You know there is a format for what you set out to do. It's called a novel. A meaty novel has enough it in for about one season. Season one of Big Little Lies is essentially just the novel filmed. Same with the first season of the Leftovers. And Sharp Objects. Etc. I didn't watch Game of Thrones but isn't it one book per season until they ran out of books, and then everyone was like -- Oh Shoot.

Do you write prose? Because if you really want to tell "the whole story" in one fell swoop, going the novel route might make sense.
                  Had considered that too.
                  I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

I'd heard Lost was a work in progress didn't know about Breaking Bad. I've written end towards the middle before but almost every time I've tried without a ending that's where I've finished too. Often I can't even make a start without an end - even a poor end - in mind. middles are no problem, everything mid story is soft and malleable and just waiting to be given form.
                    I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
                      Ahh... I'm kinda getting where you're coming from. Yeah, sounds like it's too soon. I vote 'put it in the show bible.'

SHOW IT exactly how you want us to see it. Meaning: Hella photoshop to get us there visually. I'm a firm believer in 'make the bible look EXACTLY how the show looks (tone)', don't cut corners here.

With my bibles, if I can't find the perfect images to combine via photoshop, I'm gonna shoot it myself Guerrilla-style. Which is a blast. Then edit to taste (like adding rain to the image. Bright sunny day now looks dark, morbid and rainy. Exactly what I wanted).

Another example: A jet overhead. Original image had clear crisp blue skies. Not what I wanted. Photoshopped in a smoldering blood read sky at sunset. Looks rad. Have fun with it.

Good luck!
                      Yeah nice. Need to read some bibles. Hadn't considered the visual aspect at all but now... yeah thats locked in!
                      I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                        You're taking this hard -- but i like the passion. You can always write it. No one can ever stop you from doing that.

Question, are you sure this is a TV show and not a feature?
                        It started as a movie but I fed it after midnight . Yeah, I think there's too much for a movie and I think a different pace would benefit the story - not having to cram everything into 90-100 minutes.
                        I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

hey thanks for the great responses folks. Appreciate it. Guess I'm doing it your way now.
                          I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Yeah nice. Need to read some bibles. Hadn't considered the visual aspect at all but now... yeah thats locked in!
                            Bibles are very hard to find online. I agree with others that you're at a stage where you want to see what parts of your vision would be better presented in a show bible, rather than a full series of episodes.

I stumbled across this site the other day. To save you a lot of time, go to this site -- this has most of the good ones available online in one place!

https://www.shorescripts.com/tv-series-bibles/

Comment

I'm happy to send you 2 of my show bibles if you wanna skim through them to see what's generally expected of the format. But, yeah, they gotta look beautiful. PM me your email and I'll send if you want.

PS... I wouldn't recommend going as long as I did. Aim for 15-20 pages. But, yeah, current bibles are hard to get your hands on unless your rep shares some of their clients bibles with you (***DISCLAIMER***: I will never pass on any bibles that aren't mine. Client privacy etc.)
                              Last edited by GucciGhostXXX; 08-21-2019, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lostfootage View Post
                                Bibles are very hard to find online. I agree with others that you're at a stage where you want to see what parts of your vision would be better presented in a show bible, rather than a full series of episodes.

I stumbled across this site the other day. To save you a lot of time, go to this site -- this has most of the good ones available online in one place!

https://www.shorescripts.com/tv-series-bibles/
                                Cool thanks. Went through a big downloading phase a while back and can't remember what I grabbed
                                I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X