View Single Post
Old 05-01-2010, 04:16 PM   #18
wcmartell

Default Re: Really Stupid Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogtown13 View Post
But how did you and I get those meetings in the first place? Our fancy agents, yes? Wasn't a blind query from an unsolicited e-mail to the prodco nor to the "star's" agent, we went through the proper avenues.
No - I do not have an agent fancy or otherwise - and have not since I foolishly fired the worst agent in Hollywood when I made my first sale.

Every script I have sold, every script that got made - all were without agent or manager. Many were snail-mail queries, some were cold calls (which I hate), many were scripts passed to companies by somebody else.

The 80s hit remake thing I wrote last year (which seems to be stalled out now) was from someone being passed something of mine years ago and remembering it and tracking me down.

There are no walls.

(Of course, the pickle you get yourself into is that when you have no agent, agents do not seem to want you - kind of like when you don't have a girlfriend women don't seem to be interested, but if you have a girlfriend all of these women come out of the woodwork. So do not make my "mistake" - when you are popular, act on it.)

But my job is not casting - and I have no idea who will star in any script I write - I always imagine the worst, because Seth Rogen is playing The Green Hornet, right? Casting is what happens after the script sells, my job is just to get the script sold to a company that will actually make the movie and not just talk about making movies (I also had a meeting or two with that company Sean Connery sued for not actually making movies - just developing scripts). Going through an actor's production company is an okay plan - but that doesn't mean that actor will ever be attached to the script.

So I wouldn't look at which actor would be best in the script, I'd look at what production company makes similar films and target them with queries or a cold call. And without an agent or manager the script must sell itself and open doors by itself.

Quote:
Don't forget how many years of blood sweat and tears equity went into your meeting with his company.
That's the thing new writers often miss - and, to name drop, Jack Nicholson once told me that it took him 15 years to become an overnight success - from CRY BABY KILLER to EASY RIDER.

There's instant mashed potatoes but seldom an instant film career.

- Bill