No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Success in Screenwriting without living in HW

re: Writing for Hollywood without living there

I've been thinking about starting a thread on this for a while, as I am a member of this distinct group that strives for success in the Hollywood game while stuck living several timezones away. The RSS feed finally inspired me to initiate one.

What tactics, issues, problems (and solutions) are applicable to this group of aspiring screenwriters. There are probably some innovative techniques (email strategies, website marketing, etc.) that everyone can benefit from, but which may be best suited to non-residents, and may be our only method of playing the game.

And there are two groups of us: Non-L.A. American residents (eg. NY or Texas) would have problems that are different, probably less extreme, from those outside the country, although some of the solutions may be adaptable for everyone's use. Even L.A. residents may find inspiration

Let's assume that everyone everywhere understands that writing in English is the only way to go. But that still leaves a lot of potential areas for "outsiders wanting in" to discuss and inform.

Of course, this isn't just for the non-pros. "Pros" who are "off-site" are the most encouraged to contribute. But "pros" in HW are of course encouraged to write in, too -- but please don't hijack the thread or say irrelevancies such as "just move to HW and get over it".

Some of us can't move. Some don't want to (as in the RSS Feed). Others (myself) can't do it until we've made some $$$.

I'll start it off by quoting from John August and the feed:

JA said: ...I know a hundred screenwriters, and can only think of two who managed to start a feature writing career while living outside Los Angeles or New York. Bradley might be number three. It seems early to be making sweeping pronouncements.
    This is obviously a fact, not opinion. As a screenwriting community we don't wish any member anything but success, but there's nothing wrong with pointing out the difficulties of the outsider's situation, as JA did.

So, it's a reality. How do we outsiders succeed in spite of it?
    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 02-25-2011, 07:49 AM. Reason: Fixed/updated the link

Re: Success in Screenwriting without living in HW

I think it's like trying to shoot a round of par at Pebble Beach with only a 7 iron.

Living in NYC would be like having a full bag except the putter.

If you enjoy playing golf, it doesn't really matter. But if you want to shoot a competitive round, you probably will need all 14 clubs.

Plus having a caddie to guide your shots can't hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamboogul View Post
      I think it's like trying to shoot a round of par at Pebble Beach with only a 7 iron.

Living in NYC would be like having a full bag except the putter.

If you enjoy playing golf, it doesn't really matter. But if you want to shoot a competitive round, you probably will need all 14 clubs.

Plus having a caddie to guide your shots can't hurt.
      Why is it always sports analogies? I'd like this better with a cake baking motif.
      Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
        Why is it always sports analogies? I'd like this better with a cake baking motif.
        I'm trying to cut back on sweets.

Comment

I sure like all these great tips so far! Keep 'em coming!

Personally, I intend to be the third one on top of the two in John August's post, but I guess that's another story!

Comment

The third rail.

I maintain what I said earlier, you are taking a huge hit if you don't move to LA and work in the industry...unless you've got a bunch of industry contacts already.

There are writers who I'm sure did not make it because they didn't make the move.

As stated before 95% of the writers I know are from LA or moved here to start their career. The number is probably higher.

Say what you want but that is a supreme stat.

Comment

My non-pro advice:

Write scripts that no one can deny are great. Write scripts that haunt their dreams - in a good way. Write scripts that make then feel, "I have to meet this freaking writer."

Then pretend you have agoraphobia and Skype 'em.

Seriously -- eventually HW needs to get into the 21st century with all these meets and greets after battling ridiculous traffic. I want to TELECOMMUTE! Damn it!
              Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
                ...As stated before 95% of the writers I know are from LA or moved here to start their career. The number is probably higher.

Say what you want but that is a supreme stat.
                I think we admit that. So, I guess I'll wait and come back after the time zones come around where the writers who have "the problem", and have figured out some solutions, will do some entries here. Thanks anyway.

Comment

The few that leap to mind are guys who won or were finalists in the Nicholl, and used that heat to set up their scripts and/or get assignments.

Comment

My non-pro advice...
                    I think you're a pro, or at least beyond the fan-fiction stage, when you've written >5 scripts and are seriously making an effort.

...Seriously -- eventually HW needs to get into the 21st century with all these meets and greets after battling ridiculous traffic. I want to TELECOMMUTE! Damn it!
                    Absolutely. The RSS Feed was great up until the point the writer started going on about his meetings, as if his 2 week trip to L.A. could ever really substitute for being a resident.

As with JAugust, I admire the guy's gumption and organization, and wish him well, but those meetin's just aren't feasible for the group I started this thread for.

As you say, if the script (starting with the logline of the query) is good enough, the producer/agent/manager will Skype or something to help you, help him/her, make money!

Comment

I think you're a pro, or at least beyond the fan-fiction stage, when you've written >5 scripts and are seriously making an effort.

WORST DEFINITION OF PRO EVER!

BTW, I know a recent "overnight" success when he was in college 12 years ago. After college, he moved to NYC. Even won an Emmy and had a NYT bestseller. But every now and then, he wrote a script or two as a hobby. But when he decided to take it seriously, he moved from NYC to LA.

Not sure if it's coincidence or collation or causation but he had two Blacklist scripts last year and is one of the hottest "new" writers right now.

Comment

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Last edited by AJ_FIN; 06-08-2020, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                          The few that leap to mind are guys who won or were finalists in the Nicholl, and used that heat to set up their scripts and/or get assignments.
                          For lots of out-of-towners, this is probably the best advice. Personally, I've long given up on these things as being as much crap shoots as blindly flinging email around town and crossing one's fingers, and a lot more expensive. As well, there have been too many threads on the fate of our submissions in the hands of "them contest readers", a few of these threads started by you, sir, I believe!

Contests, VirtualPitchFest (I've had some success), etc. all have their place though you're not doing anything exclusive to out-of-towners. The in-towners (of course) will do the contests, too.

For this thread, I was hoping to draw out some strategies that are uniquely for out-of-towners not because the in-towners can't do them, but because the latter don't have to or maybe don't want to.

I'm not even sure if there are any.

Comment

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Last edited by AJ_FIN; 06-08-2020, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by catcon View Post
                              !
                              Well... nice of you but I don't consider myself a pro. Not even close. I wouldn't even say I was a pro if I sold one spec. It's what happens after that which would determine pro status.

Originally posted by catcon View Post

Absolutely. The RSS Feed was great up until the point the writer started going on about his meetings, as if his 2 week trip to L.A. could ever really substitute for being a resident.
                              Well... perhaps the saying. "There's no business like show business," is wholly true.

However, in my experience working with businesses and corporations, there's a direct correlation between those with top execs/decision-makers having endless, fruitless meetings where the only decision made is to have another meeting. I've found this is a bad sign. It hints that the corporate structure is top heavy with bloated salaries of those who set up lots of meetings to disguise the fact they don't have much to do and they're terrified of making a decision (so they pass the buck.) I swear I've been able to accurately predict a business headed for financial trouble just based on the "meetings" habits of their execs.

But - then again - there's no business like show business so .... who knows.

Comment

Working...
                              X