Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No contract signed but producer posted my screenplay on IMDB

Hey everyone, I've been coming to this site on and off for the past several years now. Never posted but always appreciated the great wealth of info and help on here.

So I sent an agent/producer my script and he loved it. He stated he wanted to get it out there asap during our initial convo.

This producer has several imdb credits to his name, but a vast majority are listed in "preproduction or script" status.

So long story short, we had a conference call with the director and we talked about where to shoot it, potential budget, etc.

But to this point, no contract has been discussed. While researching the director on imdb the other day, I see that now my script is listed on his credits in "script" status. I'm also now listed as the writer. There's also some actors that are listed for the cast now.

Now this is strange to me, because honestly without me actually signing off on anything, I can still send my script out to other producers and agents without a written agreement in place. Is this a normal process? And at what point should I discuss the contract or should I wait a little longer until he has a full package in place with who's attached to the project and funds are confirmed?
    Last edited by ga8080; 07-31-2019, 03:37 PM.

Re: No contract signed but already posting my screenplay/credits on IMDB

Guy is just excited which seems like good sign to me. IMDB is not legal contract. I'm listed in projects I didn't do and some I did and wish I didn't. It's more like Wikipedia. I wouldn't worry about that.

Comment

Ok thanks Bono!

Comment

Re: No contract signed but producer/agent already posting

I disagree with Bono.

For a start, what is an agent/producer? Big red flag.

Then, it's far too easy to put things up on IMDb and notoriously hard to get them corrected. This is entitled and push behavior for someone who has offered no deal. Another red flag. He's staking out territory that doesn't belong to him and any other producer you sent it to will be put off if they see it. Tell him that now that he's done it, he clearly wants to make a deal and you expect an offer by end of week.

Comment

Good point about agent and producer. I guess I just assumed OP meant manager/producer.

But he said the director they spoke with put the project on IMDB -- I was simply saying that it's not going to stop OP from controlling the rights to his script or still have the ability to send it out. AS for things being hard to take down from IMDB, you may be very right about that.

For the record, I'm skeptical of every one of these interactions. I"m even skeptical when I talk to 100% legit people in Hollywood because it's just 100% blowing smoke up your ass.

Just saying. I was just trying to focus on that one single aspect of IMDB credits.

Comment

Understood. Reading again, I see that it's unclear who listed it on IMDB - OP found it on the director page but it's also on the OP/writer page and he/she did not put it up. I would bet on the producer.

Comment

North bank,

Yeah I found it a little presumptuous on his part. To clarify, He’s a producer but apparently reps actors, etc. as well. I believe he put it on the directors IMDb page as well as mine, but we’ve never discussed terms, offers, etc. so nothing was made official

Comment

So those producing credits (the vast majority unmade) that attracted you in the first place... now your script is one of them so assume the rest of his "credits" are just as flimsy.

Is he an agent (in which case this is all illegal) or a manager of actors?

The whole things screams red flag and run away as fast as you can but not before removing the credit,

Comment

No contract signed but producer/agent already posting my screenplay/credits on IMDB

Yeah, I'm a little confused on this one as well. "Reps" as in an agent or manager?

Their company doesn't start with a "3" does it? If so, that's a manager. But I can't imagine that company would do this.

Agent/Producer threw me. Huh?

The rushing it onto IMDb also throws me. I was close (very close) to having a show going and no one gave a fukk if it was on IMDb, no trades nothing (side note: no one ever asked me if it was registered. I'm done registering sh!t. Pointless. It's registered by the first email submission. Waste of money!).

Sooooo... that's my question: Why's this dude give a fukk if it's on IMDb if he's legit? That would be my first question "Why you putting my sh!t on IMDb without my knowledge?" Whole thing sounds super sketch to me.
                  Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

No contract signed but producer/agent already posting my screenplay/credits on IMDB

It's bullshit. Me? I ask why it's listed on IMDb without A. a contract in place and B. your permission as the rights holder. The answers from him will tell you everything. Me? I say, "No contract, no listing." and explain that you'll continue to shop the script until there is one and start the process for de-listing it. Posting it was an attempt to restrain you from getting any traction from it from other producers after they see the listing, which they will when they look you up.

Stand up for yourself. No one else will.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I just spoke with him and he stated listing it was an effort to promote it and get it packaged for investors. I advised him without a contract/offer in place I don't want it listed or attached with them until I see something in writing because at this point there is no official agreement on anything yet they have already attached themselves to it. He seemed a little defensive (stating at one point that I'm "pressuring- him and said that he will need to conference in the director to talk about it since he's involved. He also said he can also write up a "memorandum- if I prefer. He's supposed to give me a call back with the director..

Bottom line is I told him I need to see a contract in writing before I feel comfortable with them doing all of this

Comment

Re: No contract signed but producer/agent

Originally posted by ga8080 View Post
                        Thanks for the info guys. I just spoke with him and he stated listing it was an effort to promote it and get it packaged for investors. I advised him without a contract/offer in place I don't want it listed or attached with them until I see something in writing because at this point there is no official agreement on anything yet they have already attached themselves to it. He seemed a little defensive (stating at one point that I'm "pressuring- him and said that he will need to conference in the director to talk about it since he's involved. He also said he can also write up a "memorandum- if I prefer. He's supposed to give me a call back with the director..

Bottom line is I told him I need to see a contract in writing before I feel comfortable with them doing all of this
                        He's scum. You don't have to wait for him to take it down, do it yourself. Have the whole thing removed as you are the sole rights holder.

Comment

I hear both sides... what I wonder if how real do you think this producer is? I've had real producers get mad at me for lesser ****. Everyone is super sensitive in Hollywood (what did you say about me????).

So I'm saying maybe he's not scum and he thought he was doing something good... or he's an amateur who won't do **** for your movie...

I still don't see the harm in a credit on IMDB.

I care 100% more about what the producer and director have done. Are they series about making a movie?

I'm saying, it feels that even the 100% legit deals in Hollywood are sketchy. It's like every interaction you have in Hollywood is a drug deal.

Comment

Too Long

Also let's all make shorter thread titles because this is annoying as hell when I try to respond to this thread and a few recent ones...

The title that you have entered is too long (87 characters). Please shorten it to 85 characters long.

Comment

My thing is he didn’t ask he just put it on there. He doesn’t have one completed film yet just a bunch in the works. If you’re gonna attach yourself as a producer then I would thing the logical step is to have some sort of written agreement in place with my consent.

Comment

Working...
                              X