View Single Post
Old 07-24-2019, 01:28 PM   #5
Bunker

Default Re: Advice Pls - Producer Wants to Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post

what should i be prepared for? anxiety is kicking in, you know. don't want to blow an opportunity because i'm inexperienced, you know?
Congrats on getting interest! No matter what comes of this, that's great news.

First of all, relax. It's never good to approach this career from a place of fear. You're not going to blow your opportunity. If it works out, great. If not, whatever.

Many promising writing careers are derailed by the writer being too eager to please. They say "yes" to everything, and then they lose years worth of writing-time performing free rewrites that go nowhere. I'm not saying that's what's going to happen here, but just remember that "It's been great talking with you, but I think I need to go in a different direction" is an option that you have.

With that said, if someone wants to talk, ALWAYS take the call. Why not? As others stated, you don't have to agree to anything immediately. The conversation will most likely be the producer giving you a few thoughts/ notes on the project. They might be small, they might be big. Have an open mind. Be prepared to discuss, brainstorm, and get them to elaborate on their thoughts.

It should be fun. It's always great to talk with someone who's interested in your writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
i am a little worried about not having it as a sample.
I wouldn't worry too much about that. I can't really give you advice on if this producer is the best thing for your career. But I will reiterate that you can't make all your decisions from a place of "what if" fear. If you do decide to give this producer exclusivity, then the best thing you can do (and should be doing anyway) is write newer, better samples. You should always believe that your best script is ahead of you.
Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote