Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maybe I'm Just Not Talented Enough...

Originally posted by Bono View Post
    But which one of your 1000 scripts would you pick?
    Ha! Right?

I'd actually pick the one that's like HELL OR HIGH WATER/SICARIO/NO COUNTRY. I'd have to cut the budget drastically, but I think it could be done. I think I'd have the most fun making it. It's a two hander. I think I could get good performances out of solid but not top actors. Etc. A-list stars matter less and less every day.

BTW -- I'm dead serious about getting my real estate license as a side hustle. I've already started taking classes. 100% on most of my quizzes. I just reached out to one of the fanciest brokerages of high dollar home sales and pitched them my story. They said "Haha... well then you're IN!" I'm like "Ha! Cool, well then I guess we're done here." I'm setting a meeting with them. GO BIG OR GO HOME!

Me and my lady are buying a new house. I figure, if I get my license I can do the deal myself and save a fukk ton in commission. I can flip it myself in a year or two. Then I can also angle to sell high dollar properties in the meantime. I know their language, I know how to sell those folks. Coincidentally, the STORY of the home is what they care about most in the 2-3-4 mil+ range.

Thing is: I'm curious if I'd write the same sh!t if I'm already making a lot of money in real estate. Maybe not. And maybe I'd meet people through high dollar real estate to invest in my movie sh!t and I go AROUND Hollywood. It's a long range (2-3 years?) strategy.
    Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
      All omphaloskepsis aside, GucciGhost, take the following to heart; here’s the rest of that old saying:

“A jack of all trades is a master of none, but oftentimes better than a master of one.”
      I agree.

Not everyone is THE BEST at _____. Nor needs to be in order to do what they want to do.

If you're good enough at several things to be repped in ALL of them. I think that says you have a high level of creative skill. The trick then becomes smashing these skills together into one representation of what you want to SAY creatively.

If I had been repped in none of them, yup I'd be delusional.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
        Or just be Bo Jackson. He was good at everything. Even could play an instrument.
        HA! Fo realz!

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
          HA! Fo realz!

Some players struggle to even make the practice squad. Bo just decided one day to do both and easily did it---the teams even waited on him to accommodate his schedule. I think he was good at a third sport but stuck to those 2. Bottom line is rules were made to be broken and just because one situation applies to many, it doesn't apply to everyone (especially Bo).

I don't even think you have to waste any energy worrying about the "talented enough" question. You've already reached certain milestones. I can see if it was someone who wrote for twenty years and never cracked a quarter finals....but even then, there are people like Michael Arndt who kept getting his scripts rejected by contests. You never know when the lights click on for a writer and they get on a roll. I think you just have to worry about what step to take next. Almost every writer has had to deal with this. I wish it was like being an accountant where you just take certain steps and voila you're an accountant. Show business is so unpredictable!

Comment

I've been thinking about low budget CLERKS movie since it came out. So many books. Advice is always pick one main location and few actors and make it 90 minutes. Cheap as can be.

It's 2019, so movies can be made almost for free. I know to do it right you have to spend money, but the 500K movie seems dead --- so yeah lower budget makes sense to me.

I would however recommend if you are really doing this, maybe write something new. Take stock of what you own (a home soon) and what you have access too.

You were out with that project you said Hollywood wouldn't make it about your life and history of being bi-racial -- wouldn't that interest you? Or a topic like it that was cheaper?

Maybe you can go full Andy Warhol and just jerk off for 90 minutes and just a closeup of your face? I mean why not reboot that?

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
              Some players struggle to even make the practice squad. Bo just decided one day to do both and easily did it---the teams even waited on him to accommodate his schedule. I think he was good at a third sport but stuck to those 2. Bottom line is rules were made to be broken and just because one situation applies to many, it doesn't apply to everyone (especially Bo).

I don't even think you have to waste any energy worrying about the "talented enough" question. You've already reached certain milestones. I can see if it was someone who wrote for twenty years and never cracked a quarter finals....but even then, there are people like Michael Arndt who kept getting his scripts rejected by contests. You never know when the lights click on for a writer and they get on a roll. I think you just have to worry about what step to take next. Almost every writer has had to deal with this. I wish it was like being an accountant where you just take certain steps and voila you're an accountant. Show business is so unpredictable!
              Yup... tough ass business. Strategy is 90% of it. After you nail the 101% of writing prowess.

Comment

I've been thinking about low budget CLERKS movie since it came out. So many books. Advice is always pick one main location and few actors and make it 90 minutes. Cheap as can be.

It's 2019, so movies can be made almost for free. I know to do it right you have to spend money, but the 500K movie seems dead --- so yeah lower budget makes sense to me.

I would however recommend if you are really doing this, maybe write something new. Take stock of what you own (a home soon) and what you have access too.

You were out with that project you said Hollywood wouldn't make it about your life and history of being bi-racial -- wouldn't that interest you? Or a topic like it that was cheaper?

Maybe you can go full Andy Warhol and just jerk off for 90 minutes and just a closeup of your face? I mean why not reboot that?
                LOL... SOLD! I'ma reboot that!

I was joking about the 500k movie. Realistically, I think I could do something that LOOKS like it cost 2 mil for 100k. ****'s getting super cheap.

Yup, maybe I would do that. Write something new. I'd have to be in that position to know where my head is at after I've freed myself of the Hollywood brainwashing. Ya know?

But, to be clear. We're still out with my life's story. All I currently know is 2 passes. So, it's technically not DEAD... yet. Time will tell. I just meant to say that I think Hollywood is probably scared of a project this honest about race. Seeing as they're so FAKE WOKE. So, I think it will be hard. Not impossible, but hard.

But god damn, when XXXX XXXX only gets 1 (ONE!) real offer, it makes you wonder how anything sells.

Comment

I'm chiming in late here...

Gucci, if I were your life coach (haha!) I would advise you to relax a little bit. Not -- relax and don't do the work. But more -- relax while you do work. Or maybe do some other lucrative, rewarding job so that there is not so much pressure on your writing to have "wins" - ?

I had this mentor a few years ago tell a story. I really have to find the original source of the experiment...

Okay, I just found it. This is a good one. I want to remember it for myself, so I'm typing it out for everyone. I'll put the parts I'm quoting from Wikipedia in italics. It's called -- the candle test.

The test presents the participant with the following task: how to fix and light a candle on a wall (a cork board) in a way so the candle wax won't drip onto the table below.[3] To do so, one may only use the following along with the candle. The solution is to empty the box of thumbtacks, use the thumbtacks to nail the box to the wall, put the candle into the box, and light the candle with the match.[3] The concept of functional fixedness predicts that the participant will only see the box as a device to hold the thumbtacks and not immediately perceive it as a separate and functional component available to be used in solving the task.

What they discovered is that when they tried to motivate subjects with money to come up with the solution, the more money the subjects were offered, the slower they found the solution. Which sounds paradoxical, but it's not when you know how stress affects the brain. Basically, as the stakes increase, the brain becomes more rigid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candle_problem

Their explanation: "Another way to explain the higher levels of failure during the high-drive condition is that the process of turning the task into a competition for limited resources can create mild levels of stress in the subject, which can lead to a sympathetic nervous system response known as fight-or-flight. This stress response effectively shuts down the creative thinking and problem solving areas of the brain in the prefrontal cortex."

So, the mentor told me, in order to do your best work as a writer, you have to find a way of getting into a 'zen' state with your writing. Essentially finding a way to take the "high-drive condition" off the table as you work. It may still be there, but it's best left out of the writing room. And also when you sell.

I know you're just venting, and I totally sympathize. We've all been there. At the same time, the winner in the writing game is the writer who can be in that zen place the most often. The writer who really could give a flip if it happens, or not. Take it, or leave it. The writer who stays detached while at the same time doing copious amounts of work to make it happen.

Maybe you're already there, and the person I'm really writing this out for is myself. I do the same thing you do. I've had a lot of near misses -- not as significant as your wins. But where I got the manager, the agent, the meetings -- on two projects -- and then everything felt like it stalled out in mid-flight. It was traumatizing!

Now, I can feel this tightness happen when I'm "trying to hard." Either pitching something, or rewriting -- trying to make something "perfect." I remind myself to unclench. If I smoked pot, I'd have a bong hit. (Unfortunately, it has the opposite affect on me - I get paranoid, and end up in the closet.)

The right kind of detachment is so hard to achieve. In part because you can't get too attached to non-attachment!

End of psychology lecture.

Comment

Originally posted by lostfootage View Post
                    I'm chiming in late here...

Gucci, if I were your life coach (haha!) I would advise you to relax a little bit. Not -- relax and don't do the work. But more -- relax while you do work. Or maybe do some other lucrative, rewarding job so that there is not so much pressure on your writing to have "wins" - ?

I had this mentor a few years ago tell a story. I really have to find the original source of the experiment...

Okay, I just found it. This is a good one. I want to remember it for myself, so I'm typing it out for everyone. I'll put the parts I'm quoting from Wikipedia in italics. It's called -- the candle test.

The test presents the participant with the following task: how to fix and light a candle on a wall (a cork board) in a way so the candle wax won't drip onto the table below.[3] To do so, one may only use the following along with the candle. The solution is to empty the box of thumbtacks, use the thumbtacks to nail the box to the wall, put the candle into the box, and light the candle with the match.[3] The concept of functional fixedness predicts that the participant will only see the box as a device to hold the thumbtacks and not immediately perceive it as a separate and functional component available to be used in solving the task.

What they discovered is that when they tried to motivate subjects with money to come up with the solution, the more money the subjects were offered, the slower they found the solution. Which sounds paradoxical, but it's not when you know how stress affects the brain. Basically, as the stakes increase, the brain becomes more rigid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candle_problem

Their explanation: "Another way to explain the higher levels of failure during the high-drive condition is that the process of turning the task into a competition for limited resources can create mild levels of stress in the subject, which can lead to a sympathetic nervous system response known as fight-or-flight. This stress response effectively shuts down the creative thinking and problem solving areas of the brain in the prefrontal cortex."

So, the mentor told me, in order to do your best work as a writer, you have to find a way of getting into a 'zen' state with your writing. Essentially finding a way to take the "high-drive condition" off the table as you work. It may still be there, but it's best left out of the writing room. And also when you sell.

I know you're just venting, and I totally sympathize. We've all been there. At the same time, the winner in the writing game is the writer who can be in that zen place the most often. The writer who really could give a flip if it happens, or not. Take it, or leave it. The writer who stays detached while at the same time doing copious amounts of work to make it happen.

Maybe you're already there, and the person I'm really writing this out for is myself. I do the same thing you do. I've had a lot of near misses -- not as significant as your wins. But where I got the manager, the agent, the meetings -- on two projects -- and then everything felt like it stalled out in mid-flight. It was traumatizing!

Now, I can feel this tightness happen when I'm "trying to hard." Either pitching something, or rewriting -- trying to make something "perfect." I remind myself to unclench. If I smoked pot, I'd have a bong hit. (Unfortunately, it has the opposite affect on me - I get paranoid, and end up in the closet.)

The right kind of detachment is so hard to achieve. In part because you can't get too attached to non-attachment!

End of psychology lecture.

Totally agree with this.

It's kinda like if someone has severe anxiety, the worst thing they can do is try to FIX the problems they're anxious about by hyper focusing on them. Meaning: In psychology, agreed, the solution is often not LOGIAL. In this instance (writing/creating) the solution is often to allow yourself to fail.

I'll admit that I've been through this before. Had a nervous breakdown in my 20s when I had some interest in my music from folks. I couldn't handle the pressure (Think: Dave Chappelle's melt down, only not 50 million dollar pressure).

I couldn't write music again until I said "fukk, it, it doesn't need to be perfect."

One thing is certain: Being a creative is the biggest mind fukk you can ever undertake, as art is not quantifiable. Is it art or is it trash... you be the judge.

Anyway, your thoughts are appreciated!

Comment

Man, I was nervous when I started reading this that you were gonna quit!

YOU CAN NEVER QUIT!

You are an A+ superstar! Hell man, they could just take your posts here, slap 'em in Final Draft, and have a movie that would open bigger than Star Wars! I've quit reading the newspaper in the morning, I just fire up Done Deal and inject GucciGhostXXX straight into my veins!

You're what the Aztecs used to call an Eagle Warrior! You are the bravest soldier! You take the greatest number of prisoners in battle!

Comment

ACTION STAR -- do me next!!!! do me!!!!!

Comment

Yeah, I got a contact high just being near the vicinity. Give us all a pep talk Action Star.

Comment

Originally posted by ActionStar View Post
                            Man, I was nervous when I started reading this that you were gonna quit!

YOU CAN NEVER QUIT!

You are an A+ superstar! Hell man, they could just take your posts here, slap 'em in Final Draft, and have a movie that would open bigger than Star Wars! I've quit reading the newspaper in the morning, I just fire up Done Deal and inject GucciGhostXXX straight into my veins!

You're what the Aztecs used to call an Eagle Warrior! You are the bravest soldier! You take the greatest number of prisoners in battle!
                            HA!

Just trying to keep it REAL. Too much fake bullshizzz in this town.

I'll probably get blacklisted any second. LOL. What the fukk ever...

Comment

If you get black listed and are black does that make you full white? Asking for a racist friend.

Comment

ACTION STAR -- do me next!!!! do me!!!!!
                                Bono, you want me to do U 2? LOL! I joke, but the real Bono should be carrying YOUR bags as you take a golden escalator to the top floor of HOLLYWOOD! Last stop, superstardom!

I shouldn't say this, but I used to work for the government in the XXXXX division of the XXXX agency! I'm probably going to be hunted down for saying this by the Time Soldiers, but I've seen your future, and I am BUYING!

Comment

Working...
                                X