Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Questions

what's a police officer who works the front lobby desk called?

Re: Police Questions

You could use DESK SERGEANT or ADMIN OFFICER, I guess it depends on which country your story is set.

Comment

Desk Sergeant or Desk Lieutenant in the U.S. On the show "Third Watch" that character you're describing was a Desk Lieutenant, but I think you hear Desk Sergeant more often.

Comment

i'm sure either will work. it just depends on the rank of that particular officer.

Comment

Depends on the size of the department. Many smaller departments have the dispatcher in the lobby (behind the nice bullet-proof glass).

Comment

I don't know of a 'front lobby desk' police position. The OIC is the Officer in Charge of the shift, usually a Lieutenant but can be a Sargent; the OIC desk is out back, not in the lobby. When citizens come into the police department they usually are greeted by a Records Clerk whose office has a glass partition from the public. The Records Clerk writes up the complaints, accident reports, theft reports, and may issue bicycle and animal registration tags. etc. If there is a problem with the complaint or accident being reported, the Records Clerk (Civil Service clerical position) will inform the OIC or Desk Sargent. A police officer could be assigned to work in the Records Department, to write up reports and complaints when it is busy, when the officer is unable to do patrol duties, or as discipline or demotion. The only complaint the trained Records Clerk does not write up is a complaint filed against a police officer. A Desk Sargent would be in charge of police officers on the shift, the officer to whom reports are made. 911 dispatchers usually are located in a separate and enclosed room, but near the OIC desk.

Comment

Working...
            X