Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Agent ASAP

It looks like I'll be penning a deal in the next week with a production company for my script and the director's seat. It's my first feature film and was going to simply use an entertainment lawyer but I'd really prefer an agent.
    • I've got to quickly find an agent that would like to walk into a no sweat deal
    • I'm an American and would prefer to build a relationship with an agent in LA even though this is a UK project

Most agents require months to get to writing samples etc, but I need someone asap. I'm going through the hay stack but was wondering if any of you had some helpful tips or suggestions.

Re: Done Deal

Originally posted by iDV8 View Post
    It looks like I'll be penning a deal in the next week with a production company for my script and the director's seat. It's my first feature film and was going to simply use an entertainment lawyer but I'd really prefer an agent.
    • I've got to quickly find an agent that would like to walk into a no sweat deal
    • I'm an American and would prefer to build a relationship with an agent in LA even though this is a UK project

Most agents require months to get to writing samples etc, but I need someone asap. I'm going through the hay stack but was wondering if any of you had some helpful tips or suggestions.
    "Penning a deal". You've already seen the numbers and terms? Your lawyer, too? I'm very interested in this thread. I'm in the same boat -- not yet a deal, but a lawyer all ready to go when something comes up. I assumed that'd be enough but you've concluded differently (want agent on-board).

Good luck, and I hope you get some good advice here.

Comment

Re: Done Deal

An early thread by Chuck Hustmyre discussed a similar predicament. It may be informative/helpful for both of you.

http://207.5.19.9/boards/showthread.php?t=59452

Comment

Re: Need Agent ASAP

Lotsa luck! Love the thread title, though.
        "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Contact both CAA London and William Morris Endeavor London -- post haste. One of them will fix you up quickly. Been there, done that.

Ernie

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie Santamaria View Post
            Contact both CAA London and William Morris Endeavor London -- post haste. One of them will fix you up quickly. Been there, done that.
            Thanks Ernie, I've called CAA but they only do music and sports in London, so I need to contact them in LA. I'm just waiting for LA to wake up and I'll start making calls.

And thanks madyellowduck, I did read that thread. If it was just about the screenplay I wouldn't be sweating it, but my goal is to direct so I don't want to blow anything and I would like to have the agent relationship in place for future projects.

And catcon, I'm waiting for the numbers and terms to be presented. That's why I want some representation to make sure the "standard contract" is truly standard.

I've gone through the thread with the list of agents and will call as many as it takes.

Comment

Have you done any querying in the past? If so, there must have been an agent or two who passed, but left the door open for future submissions. Try them.

Comment

Made several inquiries but their policies are that they only entertain new prospective clients with industry referrals only. So I'll make some more calls and see what I can pull together.

Comment

That is a big problem with agents (the industry referral business) Many managers have agenting backgrounds and handle the contracts of their agent-less clients, so that is something else you might consider, they are usually easier to get in contact with.

Comment

If you have an entertainment lawyer on the hook to do the deal for you, have them refer you to agents.

If you don't have an entertainment lawyer, you need one anyway, so start there.

Comment

Good tips, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Hilario113 View Post
                        That is a big problem with agents (the industry referral business) Many managers have agenting backgrounds and handle the contracts of their agent-less clients, so that is something else you might consider, they are usually easier to get in contact with.
                        Managers cannot legally negotiate contracts. You still need an entertainment attorney.

Comment

Not saying Todd Karate is wrong... But... I believe the OP is talking about a UK based production etc... etc...

And Todd is referring to the Talent Agencies Act which is a California state law requiring negotiations be performed by a licensed agent or lawyer -- thus preventing managers from doing such.

Who knows how they do it in merry ol'... Maybe someone who's familiar with how things go down in England can chime in.

But I would definitely echo Todd's advice re: getting a lawyer -- that's all you need to do the deal... That's probably the best thing for you right now. You can make it a one of deal or you can retain them -- but you'll have much better luck finding someone expediently who's capable.

I know the OP is looking for an agent to help establish a "career" but finding one on the quick and signing with the first person who steps up to claim 10% of a deal you basically acquired on your own, isn't the best way to find an agent who's really gonna be with you for the long haul.

So think about that before you jump onto anybody's roster in a rushed panic.

Comment

If someone's funding your movie, they have contacts with managers and agents. Ask them for referrals.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Karate View Post
                              Managers cannot legally negotiate contracts. You still need an entertainment attorney.
                              Managers also can't legally seek out employment for their clients. Guess how many still do?

Comment

Working...
                              X