View Single Post
Old 05-27-2017, 07:39 AM   #9
Ryan Rodriguez
User

Default Re: Blacklist Experience #1239932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfress View Post
Notes on setting usually mean you did not make you case effectively as to why this story should be set in this location. You have to make a case for you setting in your story, if you don't then it's just 'there' and has no significance to the story.

Or it means the dramatic setting of the story needs amplification. The dramatic setting is that 'thing' you are analyzing in your script.

In Liar, Liar the dramatic setting is a Lawyer who cannot lie. Within that oxymoron are situations ripe for conflict. Did you really take advantage of the dramatic setting of your script.

The Dramatic Setting of Silence Of The Lambs is a rookie FBI agent must do psychological battle with a cunning, sarcastic, deranged cannibalistic serial killer. Within that dramatic setting are many opportunities for conflict and thematic undertones.

This certainly could be the case. Often times I won't include thematic niceties because I don't want to confuse anyone or take the push of the story out of the sails with some symbolic - a dewdrop on a rose falls to the sand from a lonely cactus in an ocean of desert - type thing and I can never tell when I'm doing it well or, well, just doing it.

Maybe the 6 is a reward for my lack of risk.
Ryan Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote