This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

Just wanted to share my most recent Black List experience.

I have a pilot at a major production house and things are looking really good so far. About a month or so before it landed there I put it on the BL for evaluation and due to the demand on their readers, just got it back today.

Long story short, the evaluation was extremely professional and on point. The notes I was given almost mirrored the notes the prodco gave me (they're waiting for the rewrite now).

It was definitely easier to take the good because the bad was so true (yes, you read that right. I'm only interested in criticism!). Again, the positive mirrored the prodco's (ie who they think will buy it, comps, etc). Having the show described by this person was extremely helpful -- luckily the description was on point -- something I struggled with myself.

I actually showed it to the execs I'm working with and I could tell they were pleased to have their own opinions reinforced by an obviously intelligent reader. They were impressed by the evaluation as well.

Just wanted to share that.

Comment

Love hearing stories like this.

Comment

Can you tell us about the last success story?

I googled and I did not find anything recent.

Comment

Originally posted by murgvaela View Post

Honestly at this point, writers getting signed or optioning their scripts via the Black List happens so often that it's not particularly newsworthy when it does. Folks don't even bother to tell us, and we often find out through the grapevine.

That said, here are two recent very high profile successes:

http://deadline.com/2014/10/i-am-leg...-smith-844507/

http://www.thewrap.com/disney-extend...iters-program/

Comment

Originally posted by murgvaela View Post

Not sure if I'm exactly a success story, as I haven't yet sold anything, but I did get representation as a result of the Black List. So I would definitely recommend it as a way in.
            Last edited by sallain; 11-13-2014, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodi View Post
              Regarding the "end-of-year" Black List proper: does anyone know when voting actually occurs? I assume it must begin soon if the list comes out in early December.
              I'm curious about this, too.

Comment

Originally posted by sallain View Post
                I'm curious about this, too.
                Actually, since my post I searched the forums and discovered Franklin has refused to provide this information in the past, presumably so writers and reps don't try to game the system by putting pressure on voters during the voting period. Fair enough too.

It's easy enough to work out the general window given the list typically comes out mid-December.

Comment

Actually, since my post I searched the forums and discovered Franklin has refused to provide this information in the past, presumably so writers and reps don't try to game the system by putting pressure on voters during the voting period. Fair enough too.

It's easy enough to work out the general window given the list typically comes out mid-December.
                  Ok, thanks for the info.

Comment

This is correct. We never say when Black List voting is and move it quite a bit (and shorten and elongate the voting window) in order to reduce the likelihood of gaming the system.

It's no secret however when the list comes out: last working Monday of the film industry year. This year, the morning of December 15.

Comment

While you're here, Franklin, what happened with the Warner Bros Blind deal? I thought it was going to be awarded bi-annually but I haven't seen the announcement.

Comment

I have a script that's "awaiting assignment." To my chagrin, I noticed a couple typos in the pdf. Nothing major, but I was wondering if I could fix them and upload a new version, or if I have to wait until it's been reviewed.

Comment

You can just swap it out. You'll get a notice when they download it. At that point, it's probably too late.

I am a critic first and a writer second.

I have a background in development and currently provide low-cost coverage.

More info here: www.FourStarNotes.com

Comment

Question:

I've had my script listed for two months now and I've only gotten four views, only one of which was a professional view, and not one single download.

So is this the entire Black List experience? Or is my case some sort of rarity? Because to this point, this site has seemed like a total waste of money...

Comment

Originally posted by Hush92 View Post
                              Question:

I've had my script listed for two months now and I've only gotten four views, only one of which was a professional view, and not one single download.

So is this the entire Black List experience? Or is my case some sort of rarity? Because to this point, this site has seemed like a total waste of money...
                              If you don't have at least one rating of 8 or higher, I'd say paying to leave it up is a waste of money.

Comment

Originally posted by Hush92 View Post
                                Question:

You don't pay the Black List for results. You pay the Black List for the opportunity to get results.

Comment

Working...
                                X