• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Times at the El Royale

Has anyone seen this one yet?

Re: Bad Times at the El Royale

Originally posted by Darthclaw13 View Post
    Has anyone seen this one yet?
    I saw a screening a few weeks ago. I enjoyed it at the time, although I found the ending a bit of a letdown -- but if you were to ask me right now to tell you what was wrong with the ending or to go into any real details about it, I'd have to be honest and tell you that I pretty much have forgotten virtually everything about it.

The African American woman who is one of the leads is quite good. Jeff Bridges is good -- there are a lot of neat twists and turns but, some of which I sort of remember but -- but -- it's pretty much faded away.

So I guess that has to stand as my review. I didn't hate it but -- it obviously didn't make much of an impression.

My screening reviews overall --

Skyscraper -- horrible -- worthless.

The new Mission Impossible -- amazing incredible breathless super fun action.

Bohemian Rhapsody -- Totally by the numbers but I didn't care. I was completely swept away by Rami Malek and the sheer brilliance of the execution which was amazing.

So -- there you go.

Comment

Revisiting an older thread.

I saw this not long after it came out and like another poster, I thought it was good at the time but soon forgot about it.

Honestly, from the trailers I went in thinking a totally different plot, and was kinda disappointed when I realized it wasn't what I thought. (hey I made a rhyme!!)

I thought, from seeing the trailers, that the hotel was purgatory and each side represented heaven and hell. And that the character played by Chris Hemsworth was the devil and that he was there to entice the "guests" to go to the hell side and that the bellhop guy, who I realized later was Bill Pullman's son, was an angel trying to get the "guests" to choose heaven.

I think I would have rather seen that film than what was actually shown.

Although I will say that all the actors in El Royale did a great job, I just felt hornswoggled by the trailer.

Did anyone else feel this way?

Comment

Originally posted by Darthclaw13 View Post
        Although I will say that all the actors in El Royale did a great job, I just felt hornswoggled by the trailer.
        Are you certain that you were hornswoggled? Might you have been bamboozled, buffaloed, hoodwinked, snookered, or suckered?

A good trailer doesn’t give away the plot or the movie’s ending, but I take it you felt that this trailer used the movie’s footage to describe a different story altogether. Is that correct? Sounds like a good music soundtrack anyway.
        Last edited by Clint Hill; 01-01-2019, 10:40 PM.
        “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
          A good trailer doesn't give away the plot or the movie's ending, but I take it you felt that this trailer used the movie's footage to describe a different story altogether. Is that correct?
          yes, exactly. From the trailer it looked as if the film was something quite different than what it really was. Personally, I prefer a trailer that doesn't show me the whole film (case in point-the trailer for A Dog's Way Home- I don't even need to see that film because the trailer shows everything including the end and I hate when trailers do that), but I do like to at least think I know what an upcoming film is about.

El Royale seemed to be one thing and ended up being another. Kind of like when Shyamalan's The Village came out. Everyone thought it was a horror flick because the trailers skewed it that way and then it turned out to really be a drama/love story and not scary at all. (I am probably one of the few who actually liked the village, even though it was marketed wrong.)

Not putting down El Royale because I did like it when I watched it, I just think it could've been better. And besides, wouldn't it have been cool to see Hemsworth as the devil?

Comment

The trailer for another dog movie, A Dog’s Purpose, also almost gave away the show, too, but not quite. So, what is it about dog movies that their trailers must divulge the plot, or nearly so? Who knows? ‾\_(•L•)_/‾

Perhaps the marketing of a dog movie is ‘rough, rough,’ or the marketers want their target audience to know that if they pay to see the film that they won’t be barking up the wrong tree.

As for this : “. . . wouldn't it have been cool to see Hemsworth as the devil?” The jury is still out on that question, but Hemsworth may very well be the devil. After all, he is from the land down under.
            “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Perhaps the marketing of a dog movie is 'rough, rough,' or the marketers want their target audience to know that if they pay to see the film that they won't be barking up the wrong tree.
              lol, you should join the pun slingers group on facebook

As for this : ". . . wouldn't it have been cool to see Hemsworth as the devil?- The jury is still out on that question, but Hemsworth may very well be the devil. After all, he is from the land down under.
              Ah, Men at Work...fond childhood memories of this band. And the vegemite sandwich!! I personally like it, except I use Marmite. mmmmmm

Comment

Working...
              X