No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "New" Mummy

Hi everyone,
    Wanted to post something about this film and see if anyone else here has seen it.

First, I didn't think it was all bad like many reviews have said. But maybe it's because I went in with low expectations.

I do think they should have went full R rating though and gone much darker and scarier.

The acting was ok. Tom was Tom, the mummy girl was a little lackluster, the main blond girl acted like she really didn't know where she was, and Russell Crowe sure did get big.

Spoilers:

I think the mummy girl "bitch-slapping" Tom around at the end was kinda stupid. I mean literal reach up and slap him about 3 or 4 times during a "fight". Kind of silly.

Russell Crowe's Mr. Hyde was terrible. Just wrong. They dropped the ball on that one. His Dr. Jekyll was ok.

About 90% of the cgi was unnecessary and could have been done with prosthetic makeup and would have looked much better. Tom's dead friend's lazy eyelid was cgi and just looked terrible.

I did like the homages like the book of the dead from the Brenden Fraser Mummy film, the american werewolf in london homage with the dead friend who guides the main character (meatloaf jack), as well as the creature from the black lagoon's hand in a jar in Russel Crowe's lab, Dracula's skull in the same lab, and a wolfman skull there too.

The story itself was missing something, but overall it was a firm 7 out of 10 for me. A decent summer film to get away from life for about 2 hrs and not take too seriously.

Re: The "New" Mummy

No I have better things to do then to watch Mr Scientology. Tom when is that ship gonna arrive?
    I will not fall into despair! I will keep myself hearty, till freedom is opportune!

Comment

I really like Sofia Boutella, so I was thinking of seeing it just to see her Mummy. Maybe I'll wait until it's out of the theaters and catch it on a smaller screen.

Was it fun, at least?

Comment

Originally posted by omjs View Post
        I really like Sofia Boutella, so I was thinking of seeing it just to see her Mummy. Maybe I'll wait until it's out of the theaters and catch it on a smaller screen.

Was it fun, at least?
        Yes it was a fun film. Even though it's not the greatest I would recommend seeing it in the theaters because I fear the cgi would look awful on the smaller screen.

It is actiony too so the large screen is good for that as well.

I do hope it does well because universal is trying to do all the classic monsters again and Dracula didn't do as well as they had hoped and if this one doesn't do well either they may scrap the whole monster universe. I love the classic monsters of universal old and I am interested in what they will do with the creature from the black lagoon. (he's my personal fav of the classic monsters and I hope they don't ruin him by making him cgi. Give me an actor in a rubber suit any day)

I have heard they are thinking about a bride of frankenstein with angelina jolie as the bride. What is everyone's thoughts on that?

Comment

I think they have to decide if they want to go scary or campy (or maybe some of each). Bride of Frankenstein could be tons of fun if they go for a self-aware spoofy vibe, or just campy and fun. But as a serious horror/action film, I really can't see it.

Then again, Angelina Jolie was a pretty sweet Maleficent and I didn't see that working either.

Comment

It wasn’t the first film that I’ve ever seen, but I’d hoped for more. Have to agree regarding the previous comments on Crowe's portrayal of Mr. Hyde, especially.

Got to admit, I’m more in tune with the older Universal monster movies at the end of the day. Be interesting to see how Depp pulls of The Invisible Man, though.
            An adventuress, rabblerouser, and all-around snarky bon viveur. The editor-in-chief for Film Daily, http://filmdaily.co/

Comment

Originally posted by KatyCole View Post
              Be interesting to see how Depp pulls of The Invisible Man, though.
              I am hoping invisible man gets made. Not sure if it or any more will get made with the low numbers universal is getting with each "kick off" of the original monsters. They first tried it with Benicio Del Toro as the wolfman, then again with Luke Evans as Dracula.

So with mummy not doing as well as they hoped I am not sure what else from the originals will get made now.

I am still hoping for the creature from the black lagoon and I hope they don't just do a cgi creature. Give me a rubber suit monster any day!!

Comment

Working...
              X