Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Draft 8 Crashes Again

This is ridiculous. It crashes around three times a day if not more. I have to save every line I type cause I have to prepare for the next crash and it wastes time. Yeah, I'm posting this cause it just crashed again.

Re: Final Draft 8 Crashes Again

To state the obvious ...

Are you using the most up-to-date version of 8? For the Windows OS that is 8.0.1, build #89.

Windows or Mac?

Have you checked the Final Draft website for its list of known problems or issues?

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

^^^ Yup! Installed on a freshly-imaged, Windows 7 Laptop. FD 8 just locks up and/or bombs. I at least am smart enough to have auto-save on so I need only back track a few lines. And of course the Qwest online backup vault!

Comment

I have a Windows 7 laptop, and mine (which I bought new in December) crashes. It happens for me about one out of every three times I use it. Luckily, I'm a frequent saver by habit. When I edit, I save after every change.

If you do find a solution, let me know!

Comment

Well, I tried using Google and the FD Knowledge Base to find out something about this, but I did not get anywhere.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

I've got FD8.0.1 Build 89 on my Toshiba laptop (vista) and netbook (7 starter) Not a single problem to date, although I don't use any features but just straight "scripting". McAfee for protection on laptop. Nothing on netbook (cuz I don't connect to the 'net with it). Have you tried turning off stuff (using task manager as well as checking startup programs), cleaning your registries, checking your available memory and paging? If so, no wonder you're frustrated! Nothing worse than unexplainable crashes...

Comment

im also on a windows 7 laptop with the most up to date final draft 8. there seems to be a pattern here.

Comment

My suspicion ... It's the 64-bit thing.

Will Windows 7 let you run a program in XP (or some other 32-bit) mode? If so, try that.

Comment

As per Comic's note/suggestion, right click on the FD icon. Select PROPERTIES. Click on the COMPATIBILITY tab. Check the box next to RUN THIS PROGRAM IN... and select something like WINDOWS XP to see if that helps. If it doesn't change back, but it might provide some stability.

I'm using FD 8 on Windows 7 and have no issues. I'm using 32 Bit though. Laptop vs. Desktop shouldn't be an issue.
                  Will
                  Done Deal Pro
                  www.donedealpro.com

Comment

I'm using FD8, latest build, on Windows 7 64-bit without any problems. But I probably just jinxed myself.

Comment

Please contact Final Draft through one of the options offered at:

http://support.finaldraft.com/

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by FinalDraft View Post
                        Please contact Final Draft through one of the options offered at:

http://support.finaldraft.com/

Thanks!
                        Yep, a 64 bit thing - I had a problem with pdf not saving on 7 so updated; now I'm here looking for the text fix link someone posted as 8 comes with a buggered font!

FinalDraft, how about you people BUG TEST your program before releasing it?
                        Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Final draft has caused me so many heartaches. I had six and it drove me almost to insanity.
                          "A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."
                          AYN RAND

Comment

Grandmaster, I am assuming you are using Windows.

Are you sure you really have the *Courier Final Draft* font on your machine?

In Windows XP the font is in C:\Windows\Fonts. I do not know where it is in Vista or Windows 7. But look and make sure that you have it.

If you have the font installed, then Final Draft should be using it, unless you have set the program to use another font.

As for PDF ... Do the following:

Open the PDF.
                            FILE | Document Properties
                            Click *Fonts*

You will see a list of fonts used in the PDF.
                            You should see something like:
                            *Courier Final Draft (embedded subset)*

If you do not see *embedded subset*, then it means that the font did not get embedded (you want it to be embedded).

If it is not embedded, then anyone who looks at that PDF and does not have Courier Final Draft on his computer will NOT see Courier Final Draft. Instead, that person will see a substituted sans-serif font (something that resembles Arial).

Comment

Final draft has caused me so many heartaches. I had (version) six and it drove me almost to insanity.
                              These stories are really strange. I have used every version of Final Draft (as well as some other scriptwriting programs) back to version 4.*. Every version has worked well after the bugs were worked out. Version 6, in particular, seemed very smooth.

Version 7 was an awful release in the beginning. It was so bad that I did not install it onto my machine for a year or two, even though I had a copy of it. I waited for a stable update of the program. And 7 is very stable now.

Version 8 seems to use a lot of computer resources. If I use it, my laptop (plenty of memory and power) complains. The fan goes crazy as it works to cool the innards of the computer. I have heard the same complaint here on the board. Consequently, I do not use it except for final formatting. It does a better job than past versions at various text-handling tasks. That is why people often say that their scripts are shorter than they were before. Version 8 is smarter than earlier versions. It knows not to waste a line at the top of a page when a new Scene Heading starts there.

By the way, none of this is an endorsement of Final Draft. I also use Movie Magic Screenwriter.

Comment

Working...
                              X