X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Nicholl judge speaks....

Check it:

http://coreymandell.net/blog/screenw...etition-judge/
    "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Re: A Nicholl judge speaks....

Bravo! There's a simple set of (implied) "rules" that even Craig Mazin would embrace, I think. If we can master those common characteristics of the 10 excellent scripts, and avoid the pitfall of the also-ran's, we will have great scripts that have a real chance in the market. Period. How we got there -- whether from guru books or film school courses or reading many fantastic scripts -- doesn't matter. And nothing works for everybody. All that matters is the result.
    Thanks for posting this.

Comment

good advice... original, had to write it, astoundingly creative...

Comment

Amazing eye-opener.

To think that for all those years I tried to write non-compelling stories with bland characters.

Comment

Cool read. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Figured since we all have Nicholl on the brain these days some insight into the judging process might help pass the time till the QFs are announced.
            "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Great article. Thanks for posting the link JoJo.

Comment

http://coreymandell.net/blog/screenw...-scripts-fail/

Comment

Originally posted by goldmund View Post
                  Amazing eye-opener.

To think that for all those years I tried to write non-compelling stories with bland characters.

Comment

Originally posted by goldmund View Post
                    Amazing eye-opener.

I'm eating a bowl of Cheerios for breakfast right now and just spit milk out my nose. Crap that's funny.

Yes, amazing eye-opener indeed.

Comment

Interesting. Thanks for this.

Comment

Originally posted by spinner View Post
                        Interesting. Thanks for this.
                        Welcome to DD, Spinner!

Comment

the problem i find with these comps, and why i don't submit, is the page limit,

nicholl max's out at 120, same with the rest. i say just option, option, option, till perhaps one hits the mark some day.

Comment

Originally posted by hhh2 View Post
                            the problem i find with these comps, and why i don't submit, is the page limit,

nicholl max's out at 120, same with the rest. i say just option, option, option, till perhaps one hits the mark some day.

Q: I noticed that entry scripts should be "approximately 90-120 pages." Does that mean that an 85- or 125-page script will be disqualified?

A: No. We include the word "approximately" in the competition rules to allow some leeway on script length. The shortest script to earn its writer a Nicholl Fellowship was 85 pages long; the longest was 153 pages.
                            Be aware, however, that short and long scripts could prejudice a reader. This applies especially to long scripts, which readers tend to approach with some resistance.

Comment

Originally posted by hhh2 View Post
                              the problem i find with these comps, and why i don't submit, is the page limit, nicholl max's out at 120, same with the rest. i say just option, option, option, till perhaps one hits the mark some day.
                              What do you mean by this? Obviously optioning a script is preferable to entering a contest, but that's not really the choice most people here are confronted with.

Nicholl does not have a hard page limit of 120, as CR has aptly pointed out. I would argue that 120 isn't a bad limit to impose on yourself, in any event; but that's been debated at length, and others believe differently.

Comment

Working...
                              X