Jerry Maguire -- and what has happened to Cruise?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jerry Maguire -- and what has happened to Cruise?

Originally posted by peasblossom View Post
    I think this thread proves how subjective the art of acting is. One person's Oscar caliber performance is another persons dreck. It's actually fascinating, probably a rorschar (msp?) blot of a personality test for those involved.
    good observation psb. btw, i wasn't directing my thoughts as an attack on your post. this whole internet thing and who follows who; it gets quite muddled at times... anyway, thought i should clarify to be fair.

rorschach test, yes, that's a good analogy. i agree; personal likes and dislikes are quite involved with whether an audience member likes an actor, a role, or a film. one man's bacon is another man's steak sort of thing. hmmm, food. need breakfast...
    life happens
    despite a few cracked pots-
    and random sunlight

Comment

Originally posted by peasblossom View Post
      I think this thread proves how subjective the art of acting is. One person's Oscar caliber performance is another persons dreck. It's actually fascinating, probably a rorschar (msp?) blot of a personality test for those involved.

As I said before, I really liked his performance in Ridley Scott's film where he played an elf - and I really liked some of his performance in Far and Away. Otherwise, I cringe when I see him on screen - his acting just doesn't work for me. But, I'm fine with other's liking his work.
      Like I think I've mentioned before, his casting in Legend as the mouth-breathing fratboy elf is what put him on my radar... and made me resent his career. He's too quintessentially 20th century American dude for a lot of the roles they've shoehorned him into. Sure, he's fine in stuff that fits him (like Top Gun), but casting out of his narrow range has ruined many a project I otherwise might have really enjoyed.

But then, I'm not the ideal demographic, so mileage definitely varies.
      "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
        Like I think I've mentioned before, his casting in Legend as the mouth-breathing fratboy elf is what put him on my radar... and made me resent his career. He's too quintessentially 20th century American dude for a lot of the roles they've shoehorned him into. Sure, he's fine in stuff that fits him (like Top Gun), but casting out of his narrow range has ruined many a project I otherwise might have really enjoyed.

But then, I'm not the ideal demographic, so mileage definitely varies.
        LEGEND came out in 1985. Let it go, already!

Comment

I really liked the role he played in Collateral. I am still shocked at how believable he was in that movie.

Comment

Originally posted by asjah8 View Post
            good observation psb. btw, i wasn't directing my thoughts as an attack on your post. this whole internet thing and who follows who; it gets quite muddled at times... anyway, thought i should clarify to be fair.

rorschach test, yes, that's a good analogy. i agree; personal likes and dislikes are quite involved with whether an audience member likes an actor, a role, or a film. one man's bacon is another man's steak sort of thing. hmmm, food. need breakfast...
            Very true, and no hard feeling here. And food, yes, that sounds good!
            sigpic http://blip.fm/Peasblossom

Comment

Originally posted by ihavebiglips View Post
              LEGEND came out in 1985. Let it go, already!
              But... but... then I might have to re-evaluate Reagan!
              "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Well one things's for certain... he shouldn't do a rom-com with Jennifer Aniston.
                "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
                -Maya Angelou

Comment

Originally posted by WriteByNight View Post
                  Well one things's for certain... he shouldn't do a rom-com with Jennifer Aniston.
                  i just threw up a little in my mouth.
                  bad coffee! bad coffee!

Comment

Scientology happened to Cruise. Nuff said.

Comment

Working...
                    X