Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Artist

I'm so sorry this wasn't a Hollywood film. Can you imagine pitching it?

Re: The Artist

This might be my #2 most excited to see film of this year. It just looks like a blast.

I can't see it making more than $3M, even with a Weinstein Oscar push, so I know I can go opening weekend without sharing an armrest.

Comment

Just pure magic -- can't wait to see it again. Joy from the first frame.

Comment

Originally posted by mlongton View Post

only woody allen would pitch something like this... but he could just look in his bathroom mirror to pitch it. yes, i can see that.

Comment

It's so refreshingly different and charming. I was lucky to go to a screening where the male and female French leads and John Goodman spoke afterwards. The French actors were so excited about all the American attention they are receiving. People in the audience were pushing to pose for pictures with Jean duJardin. My favorite thing he said was about his remarkable dog sidekick in the film: "I had many sausages in my pocket."

Comment

Originally posted by mlongton View Post

It's not a Hollywood film. It was an acquisition that The Weinstein Company picked up at Cannes this year:

http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/firs...lm-the-artist/

No pitching involved.

Comment

This actually looks good. I'll be seeing it as soon as I possibly can.
              INT. DR. GONZO'S HOTEL ROOM - NIGHT

A glass of BOURBON in one hand and a COMPUTER MOUSE in the other,
              Dr. Gonzo contemplates getting off the message board and back to his script.

Comment

A very cute and stylish trailer - the classic musicals and silent era Hollywood as seen through jaundiced modern eyes. Very interesting stuff.
                What I have crossed out, I didn't like. What I haven't crossed out, I am dissatisfied with.
                (Cecil B. DeMille's notes to an unknown screenwriter)

Comment

saw it tonight. fantastic. would not be surprised (and would be happy) if it wins best picture, actor, score, and cinematography

even if it wasn't a "silent" movie, it would still be a great story, simply told. but the lack of dialogue makes the reliance on powerful, memorable imagery even more critical.

from the screenwriter's perspective, it's a clinic on using the "shot" to tell your story and just reinforces Mamet's belief that the perfect movie has no dialogue. if there is real drama on the page -- and there is here -- it will show up on the screen.
                  Last edited by JoeBanks; 11-27-2011, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Seeing it this week - can't wait!!!
                    ScriptGal
                    Screenplay Consultation & Analysis
                    Fifteen Years Development Experience
                    http://www.scriptgal.com/

Discount for DD Members!

Comment

The director/actor combo's OSS 117 relaunch movies have a wonderful sense of time and place too.
                      @MacBullitt

Comment

As I bought my ticket for another movie, I asked the guy about The Artist. He said "I heard that it is the greatest story committed on film." "That's a bold statement." I said. While I was watching SHAME, I thought about watching The Artist afterwards, make it a double feature night. But I didn't. And now that I've read people here are giving the thumbs up... I want to see it. Sh!t. I got to drive another 23 miles. One way.

Comment

This looks awesome.

And being that it is not a H-wood production, it most likely will end up actually being awesome.

Comment

Saw this today in theaters...and it was awesome!

Wow is all I can say. I enjoyed every second of it. Extremely creative. The directing is perfect. The acting is so much more than what you would expect. Just a brilliant film.

Comment

We need to find some way to frame the above - Bio *liked* a movie!

- Bill
                              Free Script Tips:
                              http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Working...
                              X