Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Formerly Repped

If I query a new script to manager who requests it that formerly liked some of my past work -- do I mention that ONLY after I hear back on current work? I don't want to cloud a read... and it's been so long I don't think I can use it to get a read... but I have dealt with a lot of managers in some capacity, so part of you wants to say "I'm not a newbie..." yet you want to be fresh...

It's so weird being in this position. I just looked at old emails and some are from 2008 and me asking '"DID YOU RECEIVE MY SCRIPT? because I sent it in the god damn mail!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
      If I query a new script to manager who requests it that formerly liked some of my past work -- do I mention that ONLY after I hear back on current work? I don't want to cloud a read... and it's been so long I don't think I can use it to get a read... but I have dealt with a lot of managers in some capacity, so part of you wants to say "I'm not a newbie..." yet you want to be fresh...

It's so weird being in this position. I just looked at old emails and some are from 2008 and me asking '"DID YOU RECEIVE MY SCRIPT? because I sent it in the god damn mail!!!!
      Ahhh... man... tough-ish question.

But, as tempting as it is: I wouldn't mention it if they've already requested it. Pretend you're new, mention it later.

Here's why I believe this: Because it's an old script they read and liked. Very good odds they feel like "What I liked back then is WAY different, my tastes have refined since. So it's kinda irrelevant now. And by the why, WHY HAVEN'T YOU MADE IT YET IF YOU'RE WORTH MY TIME?"

Which is bullsh!t... but they could think that.

I'd wait to tell them if they love it and bring you in for a meeting. Then, when you mention it, they'll likely be like "Oh... cool, I guess... anyway..."
      Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Question...and this is not directed at your situation Bono... Just asking a question that I had recently. A lot of writers have situations where it doesn't work out with a rep or a writing assignment. Does it affect you when you try to go to a new situation? Just curious how much the tastemakers compare notes with each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
          Question...and this is not directed at your situation Bono... Just asking a question that I had recently. A lot of writers have situations where it doesn't work out with a rep or a writing assignment. Does it affect you when you try to go to a new situation? Just curious how much the tastemakers compare notes with each other.
          Really depends on how far along you get with the project (SPEC). Often, even with a huge person (producer), they're trying to keep the project under wraps initially. So, if it dies, no one's gonna know (agents that aren't your own don't generally get to know you failed).

However, if you crash and burn with a studio on an assignment that's a different story. Other agencies will use that as leverage to try to NOT get you hired on a OWA if you're up against their client. Agencies collect that studio info like little fukking rats. And they will DEFINITELY use it against you.

Comment

Not only would I politely mention that they (claimed to have) liked a past script, I wouldn't be shy about mentioning past reps at all. I have landed multiple reps over the years via cold query and I never hesitated to include in my queries that I was previously repped by established managers because it signaled that maybe, just possibly, the script wasn't garbage since I had already been around the block, unlike the bulk of writers querying.

I will say that querying right at this moment with the WGA/ATA feud is bound to be particularly difficult, but reps are ALWAYS on the hunt for great new material, no matter what. And given your track record with some big names repping you, I would absolutely trade on that whenever possible.

Comment

I totally did mention old reps last time looking for manager and past achievements. This time I got a new email on gmail with a more professional less goofing email (a tv reference) and queried a few people to get the juices flowing again.

My issues was I wrote a lot of stuff with ex-writing partner -- so it's mine, but not all mine. Not that I hate my ex writing partner and we still talk and get along fine. But I was trying to sell myself.

But yeah I have LEAD with (formerly repped in emails) but some person just requested my tv pilot and I found old emails where he read a script twice to see if he wanted to rep us and praised the writing, wrote to us when we signed with new mangers and when it went out. All unsolicited. So he was cool like that.

So 2 days ago he requested script and I assume he'll read it this wkd (or already did). I didn't know if I should just let it be (first instinct) or mentioned ''yeah I can do other stuff -- like that script you 90% loved, but couldn't get there." I actually respected how open he was. I mean I was frustrated too at the time thinking, help me take it over the goalline, but it shows he has taste and not throwing sh%t at a wall.

Anyway -- I don't know what my question is anymore.

So he has the script. Same name, but my name isn't very unique so doubt he made that connection because it's not same email either... I don't know.

Somehow I'm giving out advice as a pro and also asking newbie question. I think this is the state of most writers. WE are so broken.

Comment

Same... I give advice and yet, I don't know what the fukk I'm talking about. I freely admit that.

Just saying... on THIS script, he already has it, already reading it. No reason to remind him that he's essentially passed on you before. Why raise that red flag? Mention it later if you must (like after he signs you). My advice on this is SPECIFIC to this particular situation.

GENERALLY: On new queries, yeah, maybe mentioning "previously repped" might help, hard to say. There's exactly 1 billion ways to peel this onion.

Comment

That's what I thought, he already has it, maybe he read it and passed. But part of me thinks, well I mention "Not a newbie, had a career for a second" and maybe that influences the read 10%. Wait someone else liked you?

Because he passed lightly on a script that got me signed later by big agency, so part of him MAY feel regret... Like if a rep passes and then sees same work out with another reP they have to think DAMN!

I'm being too needy.

Comment

That's what I thought, he already has it, maybe he read it and passed. But part of me thinks, well I mention "Not a newbie, had a career for a second" and maybe that influences the read 10%. Wait someone else liked you?

Because he passed lightly on a script that got me signed later by big agency, so part of him MAY feel regret... Like if a rep passes and then sees same work out with another reP they have to think DAMN!

I'm being too needy.
                    HA!

But, no, I don't believe reps think that often. Not unless it results in a huge sale. Then yeah, that fukkin stings them. But that's rare.

Merely seeing you repped and out with someone else, meh, I don't think they give a fukk. In fact, I bet the rep who passed on you is like "Okay... let's see if they sell this, I bet not. I bet I'm right."

Comment

I just believe on THIS ONE there's no good reason for you to bring it up right now.

The other reason is: People in this town love to pretend they didn't see something. "Why didn't I get to read ____?" Dude, you fukkin read it, quit playing dumb, you passed, and now it's a huge hit. FUKK YOU!

He may already remember you but pretending he dosen't, is my point. So, why embarrass him with "Remember how you passed on me?" What can he say to that?

Comment

either way I don't except to hear back. that's just the way it is. the silent pass.

Comment

All I know for sure is writers in general are too scared to take chances. We will all be dead soon. Sometimes you will piss people off, but if you just sit there and wait for life to happen -- well it doesn't.

If our climate tells us anything the loudest A$$hole usually wins the fight. I wish it wasn't that way, but it is.

Got to be your own best rep. Market yourself.

Comment

We seem like we're in somewhat similar places, Bono.

I'm trying to utilize some wins/placements (Nicholl semis got me repped in the past, so maybe I can use it to jump to a new lily pad), but I'm so in my head about who to reach out to and when. I had a phoner with a manager who is killing it right now. He said he loved it, wanted to sign me, but then I haven't heard from him in a bit. Do I reach out? Do I coast, play it cool? I've gotten different pieces of advice on this.

Hollywood ain't the best for neurotics (not calling you one, just me).

Comment

No offense taking. I'm Jewish. Anxiety and over thinking is our brand. That happens when most people in the world blame you for everything and want to kill you, and the industry you run won't let you play ball with them! How can I not be insane???

If you had a phone call with a rep -- not sure where you left that -- but I'd follow up. Was their something he or she told you to do.

PM if you want to talk dirty in private.

Comment

I had one manager for years. We got along great. He called me as much as I called him. I wrote, he sent out. He never had notes, which I never wanted from him. He got me OWAs... Then.... he got the producer bug. And everything changed. When I forbid him attaching to any of my project unless he brought money, which he didn't, it went downhill further... and we parted ways. Instigated by me. It was sad. We once had an amazing relationship.

I got another manager right away and it was a complete mismatch from the get go. I never mentioned the old manager or anything that happened. Let my writing speak for me. I don't think looking back, except for talking about successes, does you any good.

The new manager lasted a couple of months until he read my latest spec and said, "Great script. Too low budget. I can't make enough money from it." Fired the next day.

Decided to take a break from reps while I endured surgery and chemotherapy (in remission now, thank You God) and then.... my old manager called with a OWA he thought I was perfect for and by osmosis we were back. I got the job. He hasn't said a word about producing and he's getting my stuff out and me back in rooms. Like the break up never happened.

Finding the right rep is so hard. Keeping a good one is difficult. I thought I had done my homework on the second one and nope, completely wrong. I do know that a recommendation from a producer or director helps a lot. Is there any way you can go back to producers who have optioned in the past and see if they can help?

I got both those managers and my now fired agent from referrals. I got the referrals because I called people I knew, and some not that well, asked for them. Never hurts to ask. Beats the hell out of querying.
                                Last edited by EdFury; 08-24-2019, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X