Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a screenwriting career coach?

I'm curious about those who have worked with Lee Jessup and other screenwriting CAREER coaches (as distinct from writing coaches).

Who did you hire?

How much did it cost and for what services?

What specifically did they do for you?

Did you learn anything you couldn't have found in a book or online?

Did you think it was worth the money you spent?

What tangible results (meetings, reps, sales, etc.) did you get, if any?

Who would you recommend? Who would you warn against?
    "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Re: Using a screenwriting career coach?

I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just naturally good at it.

I didn't even know this was a profession.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post

I didn't even know this was a profession.
      Neither did I, until about a week ago.

That's why I'm asking.

Comment

I think do what the rest of us do

1. Go to a therapist
        2. Talk to other writers about your career on places like this

I don't think whatever this is -- could be of any help because my instinct is it's not someone that has made it teaching your how to make it, but instead someone that dreamed of making it, failed and now is teaching others how to fail too!

I was watching a random Hell's Kitchen clip and some women made a terrible dish and she was a culinary teacher -- charged 300 bucks an hour to teach others how to cook. And she was a bad cook. Fun!

Comment

Coaching in general is kind of a fools journey.

They charge thousands... for what? Basically you're paying for affirmations. I'm a d!ck as well, thus I've never needed nor believed in affirmations. Bunch bullsh!t blown up my ass.

Just get a manager. Same thing. And will actually send your work out. LOL

Maybe join a writer's group.

ps... No one would ever hire me as a coach because I'd be like "Dude... this is gonna be hell... this is bootcamp and it's gonna be fukkin brutal... are you ready to want to kill yourself? Yes? Cool, you're my type of client. For our first class we will write for 72 hours straight. You get piss breaks. And coffee. Nothing else. We will write the entire script in 72 hours. No sleep. Grab your laptop, class begins right fukking now!" Ha!
          Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post

Just get a manager.
            If I had a decent manager I wouldn't be asking the question.

Not looking for a coach for affirmation. Considering whether one could do anything for me I can't do for myself.

I've been making money as a screenwriter for more than 10 years (without a rep), but trying to step up a level.

Comment

I used to work with Lee back in the day at Studio System. She's very nice and is genuinely interested in helping writers.

But like Gucci said, the entire industry is a crock, intentions be damned.

Comment

I don't know Lee Jesup, so I have no experience with her nor bad words about her.

Just, yeah, if you've already been doing this for 10 years I don't see what a coach could add of value that you don't already know. It's basically "Work your ass off and see what happens."

I feel like whomever the coach is is still charging money up front, which is always a red flag to me. I'm not convinced they'd add value unless one was absolutely clueless about how the industry works. Then again, one can learn how it works for FREE right here at DDP. Or books. Or YouTube. etc.

I'd target managers. They're good at hand holding (often/sometimes/depends) and can send your stuff out at zero cost to you. They're basically coaches working on commission. I like that arrangement better. ;-)
                Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Working...
                X