Man Of Steel: The Blue Boy Scout Grows Up...And Kicks Ass (spoilers)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Man Of Steel: The Blue Boy Scout Grows Up...And Kicks Ass (spoilers)

Originally posted by MoonHill View Post
    I thought Jeepers Creepers had some moments, but I don't think it's great cinema. I hate Transformers 3 so much that I've never been able to sit all the way through it.

And I really enjoyed Man of Steel.

WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
    Well that's just insanity.
    www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
    http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

At least Transformers 3 was fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
        I never thought I'd see the day...
        M.A.G.A.

Comment

I love how this film has split so many people into clear love/hate. I loved it. I think the reason most hate it is because it's not the Superman they grew up with (in the comics or in film)...and that's why I loved it. That Superman bored that shizfit out of me. Now I don't hate Superman anymore.
          "All of us trying to be the camera behind the camera behind the camera. The last story in line. The Truth" Chuck Palahniuk - Haunted

Comment

Like getting hit in the head with a brick, sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Kermet Key View Post
              I love how this film has split so many people into clear love/hate. I loved it. I think the reason most hate it is because it's not the Superman they grew up with (in the comics or in film)...and that's why I loved it. That Superman bored that shizfit out of me. Now I don't hate Superman anymore.
              I'd disagree with that idea, actually, because one of the reactions that I had was that it was finally a Superman movie that reminded me of the Superman in the comics that I grew up with.

In the comics, Superman punches things. His major super-power is punching things. In the movies thus-far, Superman lifts things. He lifts this, he lifts that, all of his fights are lifting-based (with the occasional cellophane-S toss). It was nice to have a Superman movie, finally, where Superman had to punch things.

Similarly, in the comics, the whole interaction between Krypton and Earth, Jor-El and Jonathan Kent, and Clark and Kal-El, has always been complex, even when it was flat-out goofy. I've never gotten any conflict between cultures/philosophies/heritages in any of the movies (aside from the Supe-vs-Clark fight in III, which had its problems and kinda gave up on it at the end). It's one of the places where Smallville really worked (though, honestly, I didn't watch Smallville all that much, because Superboy has always bored me)

If we'd gotten another movie that was about Superman combatting real-estate fraud with the super-power of emotional drop-squat lifting... well, let's just say I doubt it would be inspiring such emotion.

Comment

Originally posted by Deion22 View Post
                What the hell is wrong with these critics? This is the best Superman movie. The casting was incredible. Who didn't want Kevin Costner (Pa Kent) as their dad after waTching this?

SPOILERS

When Costner got killed, there were sniffles everywhere. they pulled the reverse Spiderman. Peter Parker got his Uncle Ben killed. Here you have the most powerful man on the planet watching his dad die, because his dad taught him the world wasn't ready for a guy like him, so he couldn't use his powers to save the guy he loved most. How could that not affect you?

They could've made a whole movie on krypton with Russel Crowe and I would've watched that movie. Michael Shannon was outstanding. HBO better open their wallets and pay whatever it takes to keep him on Boardwalk Empire.

The girl who played Faora might've been the most badass and menacing character in the movie. Some studio needs to put her in a movie kicking ass ASAP. I loved Diane Lane. This movie blew me away. It wasn't as good as THE DARK KNIGHT, but one of the best superhero movies for sure. i enjoyed it way more then The Avengers.

And this comes from a person who hated SUPERMAN growing up. I always thought he was corny, with his squeaky clean image. And his invincibility. They made this Superman relateable.
                Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way...
                "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Like getting hit in the head with a brick, sure.
                  Man of Steel is no more intelligently designed. And they both (along with The Avengers) have basically the same third-act set piece.

Stupidity that treats itself with Terrence Malick profundity is still stupidity. I'd rather the film own up to it instead of trying to hoodwink the audience from behind a mask of overblown forced emotion less subtle than a construction crew jackhammering at a death metal concert.

Both movies are dumb. One is just honest about it.
                  Last edited by Biohazard; 06-19-2013, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Man of Steel is no more intelligently designed. And they both (along with The Avengers) have basically the same third-act set piece.

Stupidity that treats itself with Terrence Malick profundity is still stupidity. I'd rather the film own up to it instead of trying to hoodwink the audience from behind a mask of overblown forced emotion less subtle than a construction crew jackhammering at a death metal concert.

If that's true, the Dark Knight trilogy shouldn't have been taken seriously by the critics, let alone done seriously by Nolan.
                    Last edited by Madbandit; 06-21-2013, 04:22 AM.
                    "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

[SPOILERS BELOW]

I saw it yesterday, having disciplined myself into avoiding all reviews, all TV commercials, and even all forum discussions until I could view it for myself.

I loved it. In fact, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it, given that I've disliked almost every recent comic-book movie, with the exception of Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy (which I consider to be very well done) and, to a lesser degree, Thor.

At the risk of repeating things that others have said in this thread (I haven't read all of the responses), here are a few thoughts:

-I relished the serious tone. In fact, I can't accept anything else in this genre. It's just a personality thing. I despise camp, cheesiness, and a tongue-in-cheek tone, so I was glad that the film avoided those approaches. Also, I usually find humor in comic-book movies to be painfully forced, so for me, having a film in this genre take itself seriously (given that the premise defies credibility in the first place) is a necessary first step.

-I enjoyed the fact that the film allowed Lois Lane (a character whom I've often disliked in Superman movies) to be softer and gentler than in past incarnations. Well written, well cast. Apart from her early trash-talk with the soldiers, she was very retro. The film didn't cower away from making her a bona fide damsel in distress who needs saving, which was refreshing.

-I actually let out a little cheer at the scene in the Roman Catholic church, where Kal-El has his dialogue with the priest, with the stained-glass window of Christ prominently included with him in the shot. (I'd wager that that scene earned the film a fair share of negative reviews all on its own.) It was such a brazenly counter-cultural scene that while I myself am an atheist, I enjoyed it for basically sticking a thumb in the eye of the modern world.

-I very much appreciated the fact the film made Zod a believable character with a compelling and understandable motivation, and that he was even allowed to plead his case. I find Snidley-Whiplash-type two-dimensional villains to be insufferable, let alone "insane" antagonists, so Zod was a welcome alternative. The protagonist of his own movie, absolutely. There was a sense of tragedy about his execution, for all that it was necessary.

-Kevin Costner's performance was very sincere and quite moving, indeed the best in the film. "You are my son" -- legitimately a touching line. He was as perfect a choice for this character as was John Schneider on Smallville -- both actors recognizably embodying a kind of Midwestern Americana that is part of Superman's character.

-Very wise move to keep Superman at something of a distance from the U.S. government, thus avoiding making the film a transparent apology for interventionism. I except that audiences around the world outside the U.S. (and perhaps even some in America) will greatly appreciate the final scene, where Superman trashes a drone.

-the film zipped by at a good clip; I wasn't at all aware of the over-two-hour length. If anything, I wish that some of the early scenes, e.g. with Lana Lang, had played out longer.

-as in Batman Begins, I greatly enjoyed the use of flashbacks to fracture the narrative a little.

-the CGI in the Earth sequences was quite convincing. Krypton was perhaps a little less authentic-looking than Earth, but the shot of the Thundarr-the-Barbarian-like, broken moon the background was a nice touch

-the Kryptonian pin-art technology was a novel visual, and the use of the Jor-El flash drive to overcome Zod's ship was a clever idea.

-Superman drowning in a sea of skulls -- compelling visual. Indeed, the skull motif came up several times (the Kryptonian genome, the first Kal-El X-Ray view of his teacher and classmates) -- a definite memento mori.

-lovely shot when Superman carries Lois down to earth in his arms and does several rotations in mid-air, almost as if they were doing a levitating slow dance.

-these were the first superhero battles in a live-action film that seemed convincing, with the kind of speed and destruction that such conflicts would reasonably exhibit, and generally avoiding slow-mo cheating. Until now, I've only seen superhero battles with this kind of speed and scale in animated shows.

I'll look back through the thread and see what others have said, but for me, I'd give it an 8/10, easy. (By comparison, e.g., I'd give Avengers 3/10, Captain America 2/10, Thor 6/10 (Thor script 7/10).)
                      Last edited by karsten; 06-21-2013, 05:07 PM.

Comment

The flaws of TF3 go way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way beyond what it chooses to do or not do in its 3rd act.

Comment

The flaws of TF3 go way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way beyond what it chooses to do or not do in its 3rd act.

Yeah, and those flying men...? Yuck...

Comment

Any movie that has men casually flying around is ridiculous, obviously.

Women, on the other hand...

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
                              If that's true, the Dark Knight trilogy should have taken seriously by the critics, let alone done seriously by Nolan.
                              ...what?

Those movies are as dumb as a sack of broken hammers. Not my fault most people respond more positively to style rather than substance.

Clarify that point, please.

Anyone can make outrageous claims. This is the time where you put your money where your mouth is and move from talking the talk to walking the walk.

Comment

I think critics do go a little hard on MOS though, I mean sheesh Iron Man 2 has 73% on rt and I fell asleep during that. Seems like MOS is the sort of film audiences dig but critics use as an opportunity to take a pot shot.

Comment

Working...
                                X