Man Of Steel: The Blue Boy Scout Grows Up...And Kicks Ass (spoilers)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Man Of Steel: The Blue Boy Scout Grows Up...And Kicks Ass (spoilers)

Maybe the six year olds are the ones giving it the good reviews?
    www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
    http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

Originally posted by stainjm View Post
      Maybe the six year olds are the ones giving it the good reviews?
      Genuine laugh out loud. And spat my tea all over the screen.
      M.A.G.A.

Comment

I'm surprised they let you take the kid in, was pretty intense in places, though I guess they're not the censors.

I think this film could be overly intense for some young children and leave them unsettled, but that may be part of the experience.

I don't know how kids see the screen behind the person in front of them, I'm often contending with the back of someone's head and I'm not short at all.

Btw, the scene at the end, fantastic.

Znyder's a great director, I hope this sets the tone for the other justice league character movies.

I hope they reboot green lantern rather than continue with Reynold's version, which seems like it wanted to be a Marvel movie.

Maybe best to just focus on a few of the JL characters and leave him out of it until a possible next one and then reboot.
        It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

I cleared a few posts out of this thread that drifted into rather uncivil discussion. If people want to talk about the film itself and the story, then great. But if you feel the need to argue back and forth about who should or shouldn't do this or question how people run their private lives, then please go elsewhere for that. I'm sure there are plenty of "great" forums & sites out there for bashing one another about subjects like that along with discussions of religion and politics.

While you're here though, please be supportive, helpful, patient, civil and understanding with each other, even though I know it's not always that easy. But please try.
          Will
          Done Deal Pro
          www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Originally posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
            I cleared a few posts of this thread that drifted into rather uncivil discussion. If people want to talk about the film itself and the story, then great. But if you feel the need to argue back and forth about who should or shouldn't do this or question how people run their private lives, then please go elsewhere for that. I'm sure there are plenty of "great" forums & sites out there for bashing one another about subjects like that along with discussions of religion and politics.

While you're here though, please be supportive, helpful, patient, civil and understanding with each other, even though I know it's not always that easy. But please try.
            Fair enough.
            "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post
              Btw, the scene at the end, fantastic.

Znyder's a great director, I hope this sets the tone for the other justice league character movies.

I hope they reboot green lantern rather than continue with Reynold's version, which seems like it wanted to be a Marvel movie.

Maybe best to just focus on a few of the JL characters and leave him out of it until a possible next one and then reboot.
              Agreed about the fine final scene. I don't like everything Snyder does -- 300 was excellent, Watchmen extremely uneven -- but MOS, I think, was a good film.

The Reynolds GL was definitely more in the Marvel vein.

I think a Hal Jordan Green Lantern is a must in a Justice League movie, as much as a Barry Allen Flash. All that would need to be done would be to cast a different actor and to write the character in a tone more in keeping with the Dark Knight/MOS precedent. That could then be the springboard for a GL movie down the road.

Comment

I enjoyed it.

The film is visually awesome, and Snyder is a great director for this kind of material.

Actors are all good. Cavill is a terrific choice for Superman, although the film doesn't fully utilize his dramatic talent. I liked Shannon's Zod, and the fact that he had somewhat noble motivations. But on the other hand, after seeing Shannon play the lead villain in two action movies, I don't think he's a particularly charismatic or threatening bad guy.

The plot has some really big holes, if you think too much of it. Especially once Zod enters Earth. Better not to think too much. At least the main mechanics of the plot are clear and streamlined.

Action and SFX are highly impressive, but the film's biggest downfall is that there is just too much action. Starting from the Smallville set-piece, the film pretty much becomes a series of massive action scenes, with barely any breathing space in between. It's like a 60-minute action scene, and it does become redundant. And even the starting Smallville segment is HUGE, so the film struggles to really up the ante afterwards.

The film would have been much better, if it had given Clark's childhood, teenage years and early adulthood a good 20-30 minutes more, and told them in chronological order. That's where the most dramatically interesting material of the film was. And it was something that we haven't seen before in any of the Superman movies. I haven't watched the Smallville TV-series, but I'm guessing even that had a very different angle to the Superman background.

They could have cut out that 20-30 minutes from the 2nd half of the film, where it turns into a repetitive action overkill.

I was most intrigued by the Superman who got scared of his X-ray visions and super-hearing as a child. The Superman who is considered a freak by his classmates. The Superman who can't hit an a$$hole trucker in public, and then in anger secretly throws the trucker's truck into a tree. The Superman who tries to fly for the first time, stumbles it, and and then gets exhilarated once he finally manages to do it.

Expanding on that material and spending a little less time on endless explosions would have given the film more heart, more emotion, and more entertainment value. The pay-offs of the dramatic arc, like Superman finding his own place, and then being accepted by humanity, would have had a greater punch.

Now the film is a little bit cold and detached.

And they could have made 450 million domestically, instead of just 300 million. Audiences like heart.
                Last edited by tuukka; 07-09-2013, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X