Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music

I've got two separate scenes where a character(s) sings a song. Both are lesser-known songs, a children's hymn and an old spiritual. I've put a small blurb in the preceding action line, in each instance, describing the tone and pace of the song, and followed it up in the dialogue with the lyrics in italics. Is this still the norm/acceptable?

Additionally, I've got a third instance where music is introduced. Pasting at the bottom of this post. Not sure how to address it... Unlike the songs mentioned above, which are crucial to the character/scene and are absolutely perfect selections (and less likely to be an issue with rights), this particular scene is looking for something like MAN OF CONSTANT SORROW. Clearly that wouldn't be the selection, but something like it is just what the doctor ordered.

I understand I could "do the research" and find another song, but it's far more likely that "rights" will be an issue here, and the song itself is more of a tone-setter for what's really going on in the scene. How would you write this?

Code:
    On the front steps of the Courthouse, a bluegrass quartet PLAYS MUSIC like MAN OF CONSTANT SORROW. 

Their audience dances and sings along to the popular lyrics.

Re: Music

Originally posted by realphipps View Post

Code:
    On the front steps of the Courthouse, a bluegrass quartet PLAYS MUSIC like MAN OF CONSTANT SORROW. 

I think you're over thinking it. I'd lose the word "LIKE". Just say it IS that song. Commit to your idea... you know? Don't ask permission to write however you want to write. Just DO it! IMO.

I've added music all kinda ways. No one's ever said anything about it. In one script I had (IDK) 10-12 big songs listed as "source music". No one said a word about it.

I mean... Blonde Ambition is based on "SONGS THAT AIN'T CLEARED!!!" And that script killed for her.

Thus... Don't sweat it!
    Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Re: Music

Originally posted by realphipps View Post

Code:

In one script I just made the name of the song an off screen character and the lyrics of the song was dialogue. No one seemed to mind.
      "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

Working...
      X