Cause for concern or just lawyer mumbo jumbo?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cause for concern or just lawyer mumbo jumbo?

Some Studios have in their terms of agreement on their website, that by sending any unsolicited material you give the studios all rights to use your work this without any compensation.

Seems like a deterrent, even if its just a log line.

Re: Cause for concern or just lawyer mumbo jumbo?

By sending them a query, then, you're agreeing to these terms!

Well, if it became a billion-dollar hit, in their wee dark hearts they know they might have a problem: You and your lawyer might come calling, even if you have to wait a decade for the result. No one knows what'll happen when the courts get involved. And even if a settlement is just one percent coming your way, if it covers any more than your lawyers' fees it's still a win.

Personally, I leave ones like this alone. There are a million places to pitch, so why bother?

After all, the glass isn't half empty... it's half full! That is, by not accepting my pitch, it's their loss!

Comment

Originally posted by catcon View Post
      By sending them a query, then, you're agreeing to these terms!

Well, if it became a billion-dollar hit, in their wee dark hearts they know they might have a problem: You and your lawyer might come calling, even if you have to wait a decade for the result. No one knows what'll happen when the courts get involved. And even if a settlement is just one percent coming your way, if it covers any more than your lawyers' fees it's still a win.

Personally, I leave ones like this alone. There are a million places to pitch, so why bother?

After all, the glass isn't half empty... it's half full! That is, by not accepting my pitch, it's their loss!
      Good point.

Is actually Terms of Use section on website.

One problem is these stupid Terms are often buried in the website under some minuscule link.

Comment

Are you talking about studios like universal? Of course they have that language otherwise we all can send ideas in and then sue them when they steal our idea. Big company legal mojo.

You never send studios things. Did you mean production companies??

Comment

They are protecting themselves. They also don't want ANYONE sending them unsolicited scripts. It's their business model. Without a manager (agents are out right now) or a trusted industry professional referring it, scripts don't get looked at and are unwanted by studios and large production companies with "no unsolicited scripts" policies.

So you know what you do? You don't try and send them a script they don't want. You find smaller producers who do and query them. Every successful writer who has gone on to bigger and better films got there by having a smaller successful film that got them notice. That's what you concentrate on.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
            Are you talking about studios like universal? Of course they have that language otherwise we all can send ideas in and then sue them when they steal our idea. Big company legal mojo.

You never send studios things. Did you mean production companies??
            I meant studios. I was going off a screenwriting publication that threw prodcos and studios in one big listing.

Comment

Working...
            X