No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Saga Continues........

Hi guys,

Hope everyone here is well and thriving.

Re my previous post about the producers who want to make my film, asking me to find a director:

I submitted a list as they asked. After a week, they've responded that they don't have time for development, and want ME to contact the directors and copy them on the emails. If I garner interested, they will produce the screenplay.

As nuts as this sounds, I'm going to do it, as I'm very good at making connections, and pretty fearless when it comes to contacting these people.

That said, I don't have the slightest idea of what I'm supposed to tell these directors. If you could help me with the following, I'd really, really appreciate it as I'm floundering, to say the least.

If the producers want to be copied -- do I point out in the email that there is serious producer interest or is that self-explanatory as I've copied them?

How the hell do I articulate: "Look, if you show some interest in this project, the producers are all in?"

Do I mention the coverage? ("Strong Consider") Which was on the producers' tab, by the way. I'm not that green. No one's asked me for a dime.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

(Has anyone else had this experience, or am I the only idjit?)

Re: The Saga Continues........

This doesn't sound substantively different from the old "find the funding and then we'll be happy to produce your film," except in this case they want you to attach bankable talent which makes funding it much easier for them. Basically they want you to do their job for them at this early stage. And by copying them on email you create a situation that makes it very difficult for you to break from these producers if you do manage to attach a director and then decide to take your game elsewhere, because you should be entitled to since you will have done all the work.

I won't go so far as to give advice whether you should do this or not (sounds like you are up for it), but it just sounds sucky to me.

Comment

Originally posted by muckraker View Post
      And by copying them on email you create a situation that makes it very difficult for you to break from these producers
      Yep. This is the risk you're running. They might actually end up adding baggage to the project instead of value. People are loathe to pick up projects that have deadbeat producers attached. And, sure, they may not be officially attached, but it's still going to take some lawyer fees to get them untangled.

Only you can decide if the risk is worth it. It really depends on how many doors you feel this producer's name can open.

Comment

These people are not producing your screenplay. I would move on.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
          I agree. They're not producing it. They're asking YOU to produce it. Hence -- as I mentioned in your previous thread/post on this topic, they are not legit. producers. The Hollywood producing community is like 99% fakes, scam artists and desperate novices, and 1% legit. Hard to get through to the legit. ones, but if/when you do, those are really the relationships you need to find a way to nurture.

Comment

What Jeff and the others said. If you were to somehow find a marketable director on your own, these producers would be rendered useless. They add nothing of value.
            https://actbreakdown.com

Comment

It's one thing to ask who you like.
              Doing THEIR job is a totally different thing. They're not serious. They probably have 5-10 other screenwriters also doing this for them. If one actually does succeed, they'll drop everyone else.

Be like Jeff...

Comment

Originally posted by MargoChanning View Post

the producers who want to make my film

don't have time for development
                ERROR - DOES NOT COMPUTE
                Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
                "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                  Absolutely this. And to be honest, this was probably a pass. Smells like one. They left themselves wiggle room if you managed to interest a bankable director, which they know is close impossible without funding in the bank. In fact, you'd have a hard time getting past their reps who routinely reject offers with no money attached multiple times daily.

Just keep trying and don't give up. All it takes is one person to say yes. Wish you the best.

Comment

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
                    Absolutely this. And to be honest, this was probably a pass. Smells like one. They left themselves wiggle room if you managed to interest a bankable director, which they know is close impossible without funding in the bank. In fact, you'd have a hard time getting past their reps who routinely reject offers with no money attached multiple times daily.

Just keep trying and don't give up. All it takes is one person to say yes. Wish you the best.
                    Thanks, Ed and everyone else. I've already decided this is bogus crap and am not going to take part. Fvcked over, again.

Now, I'm just trying to figure out if I should tell them, or just let it ride. It's probably best just to walk away. Silently. Best for my sanity, anyway.

Comment

Thanks, Ed and everyone else. I've already decided this is bogus crap and am not going to take part. Fvcked over, again.

Now, I'm just trying to figure out if I should tell them, or just let it ride. It's probably best just to walk away. Silently. Best for my sanity, anyway.
                      You owe them nothing. Just walk away.

Comment

I already have. Thanks so much, Ed.

Comment

I doubt you'll ever hear from these guys again. BUT the legal side of my brain says that it wouldn't hurt to have a written record that you've rejected their "producer hip-pocket" deal and severed the relationship before anything started.

Just a simple and polite email, "Thank you for your interest. I've considered your proposal, but I've decided to go with someone else. Best of luck with all your projects!"

Necessary? Probably not. But it's good manners and it covers your ass in case you do happen to get one of those directors from your list attached.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunker View Post
                            I doubt you'll ever hear from these guys again. BUT the legal side of my brain says that it wouldn't hurt to have a written record that you've rejected their "producer hip-pocket" deal and severed the relationship before anything started.

Just a simple and polite email, "Thank you for your interest. I've considered your proposal, but I've decided to go with someone else. Best of luck with all your projects!"

Necessary? Probably not. But it's good manners and it covers your ass in case you do happen to get one of those directors from your list attached.
                            Thank you for that sage advice. If I DO decide to respond (and I'm leaning toward F-it, as Ed suggested), part of me wants to let them know I'm aware that what they're proposing is anything but Kosher. But in a veiled way, you know?

You guys are tops. Thank you.

Comment

You said you had an attorney. Please give him/her a call. An experienced attorney knows that clear communication now will avoid most future problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X