X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
    Evaluation turnaround will always depend on the relationship between our capacity to provide them and the demand for them from writers. We increased our capacity dramatically with the increase in price and consequent increase in reader pay, and demand has stayed roughly the same.

So right now, turnaround is faster than it was, say, three months ago. If demand spikes, it will again slow. We still provide you a free month of hosting if it extends longer than 3 weeks.
    Thank you, Franklin.

Comment

Originally posted by CColoredClown View Post
      Is the quick turnaround for evaluations still going on?
      Wait time for my two evaluations was one week. Got second one Tuesday.

For what it's worth...

Comment

Originally posted by ClintW3 View Post
        Wait time for my two evaluations was one week. Got second one Tuesday.

For what it's worth...
        Thank you!

Comment

For what it's worth my most recent script on the BL site has an average rating of 7.3 (4,7,9,9) with a 7 by the reader evaluation. From that I got a direct email from one of the top 5 literary management companies in the business with a request for another sample of my writing. I also used that evalaluation as part of my querying and I noticed an "industry download" for every 5 queries that I sent out. My imdb rating spiked to all time highs for two weeks. It's the biggest dent I've made thus far. Now I got my toe in the door for my next screebplay and you can bet your ass I am going to go through the BL again.

Btw - any news on the Symbolic Exchange Smart Scares submissions shortlist?
          "All of us trying to be the camera behind the camera behind the camera. The last story in line. The Truth" Chuck Palahniuk - Haunted

Comment

Originally posted by Kermet Key View Post

Btw - any news on the Symbolic Exchange Smart Scares submissions shortlist?
            I just found out that I made the short list.

Info about the program here:

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/ja...ie-1201765988/
            "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
              I just found out that I made the short list.

Info about the program here:

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/ja...ie-1201765988/
              Good luck, Lauri, I've been secretly rooting for you to win a blind deal!
              "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                Good luck, Lauri, I've been secretly rooting for you to win a blind deal!
                Thanks!

This is about the 4th time I've made a BL short list, so I'm hoping to finally progress from "bridesmaid" to "bride" this time.

Comment

What's this? Do I hear wedding bells pealing in the distance? Congrats!
                  “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Congrats, Lauri.

Unfortunately even though my script has been listed as one of the top unrepresented horror scripts on the site since I had it evaluated I have not received any notice regarding the shortlist.
                    "All of us trying to be the camera behind the camera behind the camera. The last story in line. The Truth" Chuck Palahniuk - Haunted

Comment

Just made the short list for the feature lab too!

Comment

My Non-unique DLs count keeps going up... every two days this number increases. The reader & pro downloads are fixed, and I haven't ordered an evaluation in over 3 weeks.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any idea what it means (if it means anything)?

Comment

Non unique downloads are when a reader/pro who originally downloaded your script downloads again on to phone/ipad or any other device. I once had a reader download my script three times, which gave me one reader download, and three non unique.

Comment

Originally posted by liverbird View Post
                            Non unique downloads are when a reader/pro who originally downloaded your script downloads again on to phone/ipad or any other device. I once had a reader download my script three times, which gave me one reader download, and three non unique.

Sure, that's what I thought. I've had a handful of pro downloads, but someone has downloaded it more than 13 times. That's why I'm puzzled.

Comment

Originally posted by lbs101 View Post
                              Sure, that's what I thought. I've had a handful of pro downloads, but someone has downloaded it more than 13 times. That's why I'm puzzled.
                              This actually happened to me, too, though only 9 times BUT I got to ask the reader who did so (an assistant at a management firm) why he did so and he said he'd read a couple of pages, get interrupted, go back to it, go to lunch, go back to it, get interrupted again, go back to it, get gas on the way somewhere and while waiting for a fill-up, read a few pages -- repeat. There went my fantasy of a reader being so enthralled he/she couldn't put it down. But that's more the reality of a busy assistant -- a few pages snatched here and there. He told me the fact that he kept going back to it was the key -- most of the time he said he never got past the first ten pages of a script before tossing it back and looking at something else. He said he never reads anything straight through unless he's asked for development notes by his boss.

So, I think you should take the non-unique downloads as a good sign!

Comment

Originally posted by Kermet Key View Post
                                Congrats, Lauri.

Unfortunately even though my script has been listed as one of the top unrepresented horror scripts on the site since I had it evaluated I have not received any notice regarding the shortlist.
                                It's not based on whether you're on the top list. The selection process for the most part is based on the ratings you receive. In most cases Black List creates and submits the short list to the organization hosting the opportunity. You'd have to look at each one's submission policy individually, because it can be worded a little differently.

Also, keep in mind that you're not just up against other unrepresented writers, you're up against all writers who qualify-- that means represented writers, too.

If you look that the top list for the year, there is a writer with 101 ratings-- crazy right? The Time Traveler's La Ronde has 9 ratings, but three of them look to be 10s. And one of those 10s is from a Black List paid reader. That's pretty impressive. The same script received a 4 as a rating, too.

I have three scripts on the top lists, too. But if people don't rate them, or download them, I'm not sure what the overall chances really are, you know? I wish you good luck Kermet Key.

And congrats again, Lauri.
                                "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Working...
                                X