Thread: Fatal Flaw?
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 09:14 PM   #40
asjah8

Default Re: Fatal Flaw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenlocks View Post
Frodo does actually evolve. He comes under the ring's influence and starts to turn darker, so that's one type of evolution triggered by something external. But he also arcs simply because of everything he goes through during the story. When he gets back to the Shire at the end, he realizes he doesn't really belong there anymore. Of course, he has to take care of that little Saruman problem - and he can. He's not the hobbit he was when he left.

I can't remember how it played out in the movies, though. Maybe he was more static in them.
i never thought about it that way; good point raven. i tend to think of an arc as more internal and character-altering. frodo isn't really conflicted about what he has to do, although he's afraid; and he recognizes evil for what it is. all through the story he tells others the darkness is his cross to bear. the only point i really hesitated, was golum. frodo didn't recognize golum's deeper evil because sympathy blinded him.

well, this blows my fabulous theory all to hell. in a good way though, so i appreciate the insight.
asjah8 is offline   Reply With Quote