Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austin Film Festival 2011

Anyone heard back yet about the 1st/2nd round cut?

Re: Austin Film Festival 2011

I think the last email said that they'd be sending letters out no later than August 31st. So there's still some time left to gnaw the fingernails down.

HH

Comment

Originally posted by scaggnetti View Post
      Anyone heard back yet about the 1st/2nd round cut?
      You will probably get better responses to this in the "Contest" section of the message board.

Comment

unless their notification procedures have changed from last year, my experience as a second-rounder in the drama teleplay were: (1) you don't want a letter; (2) you do want a phone call.

i think they all usually hit around labor day

Comment

I think I recall reading on their website that notifications will go out late August.

Comment

Oh, for Christ's sakes...

Here you go. Straight from the email I received on Aug 5:

"We will be announcing advancements soon. Notification letters will go out to First Round and Second Round entrants by August 31st. Semifinalists will also be notified by this date. Reader's notes will be provided soon after for all entrants who advance to the Second Round and above. Finalists will be announced by September 22, and the winners will be announced on Saturday, October 22, 2011 at the Austin Film Festival's Awards Luncheon held at the historic Austin Club."

HH

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
              Oh, for Christ's sakes...

Here you go. Straight from the email I received on Aug 5:

"We will be announcing advancements soon. Notification letters will go out to First Round and Second Round entrants by August 31st. Semifinalists will also be notified by this date. Reader's notes will be provided soon after for all entrants who advance to the Second Round and above. Finalists will be announced by September 22, and the winners will be announced on Saturday, October 22, 2011 at the Austin Film Festival's Awards Luncheon held at the historic Austin Club."

HH
              Are you going to come down? I'm going to presume it depends on how well you do, but still, Austin could use your musical Hamlet.
              The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost

Comment

Originally posted by zenplato View Post
                Are you going to come down? I'm going to presume it depends on how well you do, but still, Austin could use your musical Hamlet.
                I'm seriously thinking about it, but, yeah, it will depend on how well I do. If I do come down, I'm going to steal some money (maybe get a pizza delivery guy to do the dirty work) and stay at one of the hotels. That way I just have to stay sober enough to stumble to a room as opposed to looking in a map book and trying to give the cab driver directions to get back to the house I was staying at.

HH

Comment

At the risk of sounding like a total cheerleader/cheesefest, I have to say if you can swing the costs of getting there and getting a badge/hotel etc. it's totally worth it. The conference is in a GORGEOUS, (haunted), 1886 hotel - the panels are amazing (so many great things I've lost count-- heavy on the Pixar, heavy on comedy writers, heavy on Shane Black and Terry Rossio panels. Last year Michael Arndt totally got and deserved a standing ovation for his "insanely great endings.") People are really really really really nice. Also you're 2 feet away from 6th street which is full of "marcha" -- lots of music and activity and people and such. And the brunch is the best brunch I've ever had in my life-- biscuits, eggs with nopalitos (cactus), really crispy bacon and FREE MIMOSAS. YUM. Also if you're from some place where you might be in sweatshirt season in late October, you'll love how nice and warm it is in Austin in October.

Comment

Update from Austin FB page:

"We will be sending letter notifications to all First Round and Second Round entrants by the 31st. Semifinalists will receive a phone call around that time as well. Second Rounders and Semifinalists will also receive an e-mail with information about attending the Conference. The results will be posted on our website next week. Stay tuned and good luck!"

Comment

I haven't seen this info posted anywhere else, but according to its e-newsletter, Austin received "over 5800 submissions" to the Screenplay Competition this year, which is way up from last year (4400), and an all-time record.

Comment

Until the economy improves, more and more people will try their hand at screenwriting, thereby increasing the number of entrants at all the major competitions.

Comment

Originally posted by supereasy View Post
                          Until the economy improves, more and more people will try their hand at screenwriting, thereby increasing the number of entrants at all the major competitions.
                          more and more people need to study economics then.

Comment

anyone get the call yet?

Comment

Not me; I think it's still a bit early. Last year the letters didn't come until September 2, and (though I didn't receive one) I believe the phone calls came a day or two after that. My guess is that it will be sometime later this week, because they'll probably want to get everything out before Labor Day Weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X