No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Copyright and who to send your script to

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
    ...they don't need the number until they want to purchase it.
    You sure about that? I don't recall anyone asking me for it. Business affairs, agent, lawyer, no one.

In fact, didn't Craig say that Chernobyl is still unregistered. Couldn't have sworn he said that somewhere. The good news is, if that's true, we all get to rip off Chernobyl... WOOOOT! LOL
    Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
      You sure about that? I don't recall anyone asking me for it. Business affairs, agent, lawyer, no one.

In fact, didn't Craig say that Chernobyl is still unregistered. Couldn't have sworn he said that somewhere. The good news is, if that's true, we all get to rip off Chernobyl... WOOOOT! LOL
      it was in my option/purchase agreement. they have to clear the title and show a transfer of copyright holder. i think they still use the same copyright number and maybe the contract confirms the transfer of the copyright? i don’t know about Craig’s situation but his company was a producer on it. might be a bit different. it wasn’t a spec, right? it was with a prodco that produces $40 million movies. just going off my experience. idk, maybe he didn't "sell" it?

but if it’s already registered and you sell it, it protects the buyer from you selling it to someone else because you would not be the copyright holder anymore.

i can’t remember the specific language in the contract. otherwise I don’t know why they put it in the contract. seems to make sense that they would want to register it under their own company’s name.

does anyone else have any experience with this?

PE: oh, here, a website... https://www.marklitwak.com/copyright...ts--films.html

IF it's registered by the writer and sold to another party they transfer the registration to the company. they use the same number. they do not register it again. the contract is the legal document. and that makes sense, right? that way there's only one registration number that follows the material everywhere.
      Last edited by finalact4; 08-15-2019, 12:01 PM.
      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by Merrick View Post
        It sounds like it's pretty okay to send to whomever, just don't send to everyone. But industry people, potential investors, other writers, close friends all okay.
        No! You can send a query including the logline to anyone in the industry but never, ever just send the script without their permission. You send a query, they send a release form back (in most cases and if they reply at all), you sign it and send it along with the script.

And if you mention the page count you will get precisely zero requests. If you get a request and send a 170 page script you'll break world records for how quickly they pass without getting to page one.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
          it was in my option/purchase agreement. they have to clear the title and show a transfer of copyright holder. i think they still use the same copyright number and maybe the contract confirms the transfer of the copyright? i don't know about Craig's situation but his company was a producer on it. might be a bit different. it wasn't a spec, right? it was with a prodco that produces $40 million movies. just going off my experience. idk, maybe he didn't "sell" it?

but if it's already registered and you sell it, it protects the buyer from you selling it to someone else because you would not be the copyright holder anymore.

i can't remember the specific language in the contract. otherwise I don't know why they put it in the contract. seems to make sense that they would want to register it under their own company's name.

does anyone else have any experience with this?

PE: oh, here, a website... https://www.marklitwak.com/copyright...ts--films.html

IF it's registered by the writer and sold to another party they transfer the registration to the company. they use the same number. they do not register it again. the contract is the legal document. and that makes sense, right? that way there's only one registration number that follows the material everywhere.
          Gotcha...

Maybe I skim that part (contracts not my strong suit). All I care about is the money part. LOL

Now I'm gonna go back and look outta curiosity.
          Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

I don't register my scripts with the US government nor with the WGA. To mark my stuff I just urinate on it just before sending it. The postman has asked me a couple of times if I noticed any drunks hanging out at my mailbox and I don't get any responses accept for one guy whose name I didn't recognize. He was breathing really hard on the phone. I'd be willing to bet Mr. Mazin did the same thing with all five of the Chernobyl scripts.
            TRIAL FORUMS

​
            ​

Comment

Thank you all, great info.

Few things:

* I'm doing final or second to final run through right now. I think I can have this locked at last today or tomorrow, so I'll just register the minute it's done, as I don't intend any significant changes until there is (potential) further movement on it.

* It's down to 165 now, and by the end might be a few pages less.

* Yes, I was intending to draw up a well laid-out one-sheet with title, logline, synopsis, etc. and send that around. I have a title, logline, and tagline and have sent those to a few people, and it has jogged interest from everyone I sent it to. So, seems to be working.

* I will copyright register it but not WGA.

* Is it kosher to put other film comparisons? A cross between xx and xx? I've been sending that privately with my logline. I did read about the writer/director of Colossal getting in trouble for referencing Godzilla in his pitches. My references are not "franchises" like that - all one off films which I think help people understand the atmosphere and visual/aural tone. Is this acceptable?

Comment

Thank you all, great info.

Few things:

* I'm doing final or second to final run through right now. I think I can have this locked at last today or tomorrow, so I'll just register the minute it's done, as I don't intend any significant changes until there is (potential) further movement on it.

* It's down to 165 now, and by the end might be a few pages less.

* Yes, I was intending to draw up a well laid-out one-sheet with title, logline, synopsis, etc. and send that around. I have a title, logline, and tagline and have sent those to a few people, and it has jogged interest from everyone I sent it to. So, seems to be working.

* I will copyright register it but not WGA.

* Is it kosher to put other film comparisons? A cross between xx and xx? I've been sending that privately with my logline. I did read about the writer/director of Colossal getting in trouble for referencing Godzilla in his pitches. My references are not "franchises" like that - all one off films which I think help people understand the atmosphere and visual/aural tone. Is this acceptable?
                My longest script ever, upon first release/reads, was a whopping 145 pages. It was my African epic, and almost certainly a 2.5 hour movie. The script is now (5 years later) 118 pages. There are ALWAYS opportunities to reduce the bulk, but they often don't become clear till you've put the thing away for a while... or you let somebody else have a look at it. In other words, it will never e 'locked up'.

(Somewhere on DDPro is a thread about 'shortening your scripts', and there are a lot of cool techniques, many of which just involve formatting and getting rid of widows-orphans, etc.)

Your 'one-sheet' (one page?!) with title, logline, and synopsis"?! Good for you. A synopsis that short, of a 170 page script, is pretty awesome - if it actually tells the story and isn't just a logline. I'd expect that if you have one that has the key beats of the whole story, you'll need one that's a bit longer. Others on this board will tell you not to do one till you're asked, so I'll defer to them, but doing up one now, of 2-3 pages, might also help you find something to trim in your epic.

re: "so I'll just register the minute it's done, as I don't intend any significant changes until there is (potential) further movement on it." Just to confirm: For a copyright you'd never have to re-register it, no matter the number of changes. Why? Because you already own the copyright for the underlying material. However, the Copyright Office will be happy to take your money (again) if you wanted to register another version; it's just not necessary.

As for your q about 'this meets that', there was a long thread this year right here on DDpro about that. It's not an evil thing to ask questions that have already been asked here, but I do think taking almost every DDPro topic (Business Questions and Advice, Screenwriting, Loglines and Queries, etc.) and going through the first two pages at the top level view of of each topic (not through all the individual responses) is going to reward you with a lot of useful info. At the very least, getting the answer by looking through the archives may take less time than posting here and waiting, waiting, waiting for responses. Shows initiative, too!

Comment

Thanks! Got it all. And I think I found that thread on a search. So sounds like it's okay to do.

I can easily summarize my film, no problem. The logline is one clear sentence. A synopsis of the whole thing, I could probably do in 4-6 sentences. The length of the script doesn't mean it's all over the place. It's pretty focused.

Comment

This place is filled with the same 10 questions over and over and over again. What else are we doing here?

I've always been against the "try search button" responses in any forums. Maybe that's just the teacher in me knowing I asked the questions too years ago and someone else needs help now...

Everything is okay to do that you laid out. It's just all opinion. We all think a shorter script is better, but you're not going to do that, so it's okay.

I sent queries that said R-RATED GOONIES... Or DIE HARD meets CLERKS... whatever... not on script title page, but in emails to pitch people...

I don't know what story you're referring to, but the director didn't' get in real trouble. People do it all day long in Hollywood.

Comment

https://deadline.com/2015/10/godzill...es-1201599094/

Comment

...* It's down to 165 now, and by the end might be a few pages less. ...
                        164 now?

I know nothing about your script, but have you thought about it being two stories? Maybe at around page 80 there's a good, exciting break for story #1. Then you can pitch it as a tighter story -- and if it gets some traction maybe mention that you have a sequel, or 'a strong idea' for a sequel.

Hollywood LOVES franchises!

Comment

Oh well, geez, this was going too far:
                          Voltage’s pitch included photos of Godzilla movies and Vigalondo was quoted in an interview that he was going to make “the cheapest Godzilla movie ever.”
                          I remember on VPF a few years ago, somebody of note was asking for "giant monster stories". But to mention 'Godzilla' in anything other than a writer-to-rep/buyer or peer-to-peer pitch is asking for trouble.

PS. Upon reflection I am quite sure that the 'big monster-seeking company' was Benderspink (before they split)
                          Last edited by catcon; 08-16-2019, 09:12 AM. Reason: Added PS

Comment

Yes, I tapped out at 164. It's definitely a single-story film. I will do a full readthrough tomorrow to look for any last minute details and finalize it there.

I'll send it out to all my beta readers. I asked them all if they were interested to read the final and all said yes. And I have a list of 6-7 other friends in and around industry who've been interested to read it.

I'm sure it will take at least a few weeks for people to get to it but hopefully I hear something soon.

To be honest, I'm already satisfied that several people liked the earlier draft. And they all helped me improve it too. That's enough for me. My next goal would just be to make it (and properly).

Maybe that will never happen. But I'm happy and proud anyway and can move onto other things now.

Comment

If this is considered rude or insulting then so be it. I am trying to be cruel in order to be kind. Sending out a 164 page script marks you as a first time amateur who hasn't honed their craft and has done little to no research. Get it down to the 120s, max. Anyone on this board, pro or not, feel differently?

Comment

This was covered massively in another thread already in the software board.

I know and understand all of this already, don't worry.

Comment

Working...
                                X