Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breadwinner Mgmt Info?

Does anybody have any info on the credibility of the management firm, "Breadwinner Management," in Las Vegas or it's principles (Beatriz Aguayo, Cal Maefield, or Mike Madsen)? Has anybody has any dealings with them yet? Are they legit?

Re: Breadwinner Mgmt Info?

Strike One - Their name is Breadwinner, worst name ever

Strike Two - They're in Vegas, the business is in LA

Strike Three - first hit from a google search is their Myspace page.

Whoever they are, whatever they do, you don't want them representing you.

Comment

http://breadwinnermgt.com

Comment

from the website:

"Breadwinner has signed a collaboration agreement with Diverse Artistic Initiatives a WGA Agency located in Woodbridge, New Jersey. Cal Maefield, Manager of Breadwinner has stated that "this is a matrimony made in heaven to be working with Mrs. Cheryl Andrews, President and CEO of DAI. She brings a lot of experience to our boutique size management company and a wide range of contacts stretching from the east coast to the west coast that will benefit both our companies and clients." "

Comment

Why do managers and agents who run their businesses from mail pickup drops in Las Vegas always list their address as a 'suite'?

Dude - you aren't fooling anyone. It's a mail drop. It isn't a 'Suite'. So why pretend ?

The experience he so proudly quotes is with the Donna Wauhob Agency. She died in 2008 (so I won't dwell on her experience) ... but here's the experience of the 'Mike Madsen' who you asked about :

CHAR: Craig, you signed with an agency for Tequila Sheila and
          I understand this was not a very good experience.
          Will you share a little about that and what you learned
          we can and should look for, watch out for, when seeking an agent?
          Any questions we should ask, contract points we should be aware
          and cautious of?

CRAIG: Now there’s a sore subject LOL! Wow, what a deal.

The first agency I get and it turns out to be nothing but trouble.
          Bumper and I were the "co-authors" of the script. He had been
          talking with The Donna Wauhob Agency for some time, in
          particular with said agent Mike Madsen.
          Mike sent off photocopies of the script to Universal, Miramax and
          Lifetime television. Great right? He sent them in a non-Hollywood format.
          Just plain old copies, not 3 hole punched with brass binders and a cover
          page. Basically they saw the script and tossed it without even reading a
          line. So we had suddenly lost those 3 places for un-professionalism.

He also wanted me to send money for postage and phone cards so he could call
          companies!!! I was in total disagreement, because no up front
          money fees were ever discussed upon the signing of the contract.
          I rebelled. Mike just kept complaining he had no money to do
          anything.
          The sad thing is that the bits I cut out just make it worse. There are other gems like "..if we wanted it done, to make a copy of the script for every place we wanted it submitted to, send it to her, send her postage to have it sent to the companies and I also had to find out the contact numbers for people at studios we wanted it submitted to. "

Run. Run. Run.

Mac
          (Ref: http://home.earthlink.net/~clyons555/id3.html )

(PPS: I cut out a lot of stuff that was even worse)
          Last edited by Mac H.; 01-17-2011, 04:24 AM.
          New blogposts:
          *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
          *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
          *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
          *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

Nice work, Mac.

Comment

The Donna Wauhob Agency was mainly for actors and convention work in Vegas. She attempted to dabble with writers, but it never quite made it off the ground due to inexperience. Her office was a room her Church donated to her because she couldn't afford the rent at her last place.

She was a kind lady though!

Comment

Thanks Jimjimgrande. You confirmed my concerns were. They asked for my script, but I think I'll pass.

Comment

Great info Mac H. Much appreciated. You would think Mike M. may have learned how to do business by now, but I don't think I'll trust putting my screenplay into his hands!

Comment

First of all, I have no problem with the research effort that some of you have started which led to this forum. And let’s be clear, my aim is not to change your opinion but to simply put the facts on the table.

I believe someone wrote that I have three strikes against me. The number one strike is the name of my company. I find that one very debatable when you have all types of names people use including their names, nick names, and etc. in this arena. The second strike is true, I do reside in Las Vegas and the business is in California and New York. I wished you would talk to a few of my writers I rep because that will be the first thing that comes out of my mouth when I speak with them is that I am not in LA. However, I am a hungry manager and I will work my ass off to get your material in the right hands.

Now regarding my experience, I have no shame working for Donna Wauhob Agency and like one of my good friends on here wrote she was a kind person and she had great relationships with a number of industry players who did quite well last year.

Someone wrote on here I have a drop off box and not an office. I wish that was true then I would not have to worry about an overhead I am paying when it comes to this business. I wish I could be like some of the big time managers whose only office is their CELL PHONE! However, I am working on getting that big.

Finally, someone put in the research about Mike Madsen sending material out to production companies that were not in industry format. That is so hard to believe because Mike is very anal about format. Mike is a good friend of mine and this is unfair to say this about him when two sides of the story needs to be explored. What this person dug up, I have already done my research and found that same link before I even asked Mike to come onboard with me. I worked with Mike for a year at Donna’s before I decided to step away from the business and the only thing he is guilty of is sending out his own scripts to production companies. Even though, Donna represented him. He was so kind to those particular writers (in the link) and he used to go overboard with helping other writers develop their scripts when he didn’t have to do that. I hired Mike because Mike is truthful. He is not going to give you the “nice-nice” version when he signs someone where you go to someone else and you find yourself not even getting the representation you thought you would get. Mike is a good person and I trust his judgment. However, Mike is no longer with us because he decided he wants to pursue his writing career. I wish him the best. And I would hire Mike in a minute again.

Guys, if you have any questions please feel free to contact me at [email protected].

thanks
                    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 02-11-2011, 05:12 PM. Reason: Fixed formatting

Comment

Here are a few facts you could provide that will be of interest to the writers here --

1) How many of your client's scripts have you sold?

2) How many assignments have you landed for your clients?

3) How many spec scripts have you gone out with and have you been successful at setting up a lot of meetings for your clients as a result?

Comment

Thank you for your response Cal. It's certainly a tough business, particularly for very small boutique companies as yours. It is often difficult to differentiate among facts, half truths and opinions. I have no reason to doubt the statements made by the various responders. On the other hand, I'm sure you have valid reasons for disputing some of those statements. I understand completely. It is important to hear different sides of a story. Defending your company and folks you have worked with shows character. I appreciate all responses to my original inquiry on this forum. The more information I have, the better I can sort things out to make the best decision for myself.

Comment

Working...
                        X