View Single Post
Old 02-24-2020, 05:51 PM   #21
Satriales
Regular

Default Re: Anybody Know Any Agents or Managers Open to Acquiring New Clients?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocodilestreet View Post
I think you might be right. I just did some due diligence on VPF, and here is what I came up with. I looked at the first 100 entries they list on their site (Just a simple search on Google and IMDB) (out of approximately 450).
“production companies” listed on the site. A good portion of the “Production Firms” have a sole citation is on VPF, or have solely produced one short film, or haven’t produced anything in 15 years which leads me to one of two possible conclusions: A. The site bloats the list with false listings to give legitimacy to what is essentially a hoax. or B: The site is only populated with “companies” who would not have the capacity to bring a project to market. Neither of which makes the site a useful resource.

Some examples from the top of the list:
  • Juan Aguirre Productions - Someone who seems to hve worked in set construction.
  • Medball - a production company which is nonetheless not cited on any of the movies they cite on VPF.
  • Leaving Normal - a production company which cites “Adulthood” a series that seems to have been made in 2017, but was never picked up anywhere… and whose trailer seems to have disappeared from the net.
  • Galaxy… a Hong Kong based hotel firm
  • Nathaniel Howe Studios - a marketing firm which has made nothing but ID clips for branding projects.

I am sharing the link to the Google document with my research if anyone wants to peek at it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15kz...ew?usp=sharing

There may be errors since I'm lacking context and did this pretty darn rapidly in one day.

My favorite entry was personally for one Stephen Dollinger, who directed one episode of Airwolf in 1984. Now, although I did love the show very much, I’m not sure he’s the right partner for bringing a film to market.

Again, in advance, please excuse any errors. But it seems mighty shady. I wouldn't pay for it.
The only thing I will push back on here is the point on the Galaxy Studio. They appear to be a legitimate distributor that distributes in Vietnam. Big stuff. But, how the hell is that going to help a writer?

However, many of the China/Hong Kong based financiers are in fact part of large hotel conglomerates or whatever. So while I think your conclusion was 100% write (and you had the wrong company) I wouldn’t dismiss these big offshore companies with money to burn out of hand.

As with all of these pay-to-play offerings, a healthy dose of IMDBPro, Google, and LinkedIn goes a long way.
Satriales is offline   Reply With Quote