No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blacklist Experience #1239932

Originally posted by Ryan Rodriguez View Post
    I'm a little confused by the "never will be- comment but maybe that's based on an assumption about my attitude. If a person think's they're already at a certain level, it's hard to improve. Trust me. I think I have a lot to improve upon. A ton.
    'The never will be' comment was meant to be taken as perspective. The truth is that most of us 'never will be' good enough to be top tier at anything - comedy, sport, music etc - and writing is no different.

I am just trying to make it clear just how tough it is - and if you understand that then, hopefully, you won't take the BL scoring to heart so much. The chances of you being good enough to write professionally are as next-to-impossible as the chances of a football-loving kid playing for Manchester United. It takes more than being 'really good' compared to your friends, or your writing group, you need to be really good by pro-standards. Ie: English Premier League, NFL, NBA.

So right now you're either not good enough and never will be or you're just not good enough at the moment - and there is no shame in either because, as I said, 99.999% are not good enough to ever make it. (Hence only an absolute moron would think I attacked you). Whether you're only not good enough right now remains to be seen but the only way you'll get to where you want to go is if you stop blaming the Black List, stop blaming the readers and stop permutating as to how your script was erroneously misunderstood/overlooked. Instead, take ownership and take stock of just how good you actually have to be to make it.

As for the bitterness, I'll reflect on that. I don't think I have a fantastic script. I don't think the readers didn't "get it-. I just know that based on the coverage you get, it's hard to tell what exactly the readers thought of it. The coverage is cursory. And I even had a hard time agreeing with some of the strengths. So it was a confusing experience for me.
    I hope you do reflect on that as that was my only aim. That way you'll have a chance of seeing what I did - the excuses, the bemoaning, the 'not my fault'ery. There's a ton of threads whining about TBL giving them low scores but a conspicuous lack of acceptance despite the apparent acknowledgement that only 0.001% are good enough writers. As Americans like to say: 'do the math'. Only 99.999% are good enough yet 99.999% insist it means everyone else.

As has been said many times in many BL threads, ignore the coverage. All that matters is the score. They may fluff things up to let you down gently or writers misinterpret their comments for positives - eg: 'original' doesn't necessarily mean 'good' and 'funny' doesn't mean everything else about your script and writing is great - so just focus on the score.

Having said that, your feedback was clear: undeveloped, one-dimensional and voice-less characters, lack of connectivity between characters and plot, on-the-nose dialogue, heavy-handed exposition and weak structure. I mean, these are the Prime List of cardinal sins.

But before you slit your wrists, you scored 6/7 which tells us you can write to a fair degree and you also got feedback that backs this up by saying the foundations are there to be a strong sample (however I would take that with a pinch of salt, just to be on the safe side. in case it's the final slice of bread in a shit sandwich). And this is why I came back off-grid to spend an hour writing to you. Do you want to be a nearly-man, good but not good enough, looking elsewhere except inside himself or do you want the Simon Cowell bluntness that stings like hell but forces you to be honest with yourself and which gives you the best chance of pushing yourself to the requisite level? Do you want to be 'a good writer' in the amateur sense - like what your Aunty Mavis would say about you to her friends at the bridge club, but not in the professional sense, or do you want to be 'a good writer' - like when Ridley Scott is having lunch with the execs at Fox?

I agree that my attitude about the scoring system is poor. I never paid for a competition and the only thing I put stock in was the lowest possible number I could get that would garner attention. I read a lot of reviews by people who scored lower and they said the script just sat there. I can't really afford that. So my goal was 8.
    I am glad you see your attitude was poor. You will only improve by believing this to be so. Yes, most people's scripts just sit there - but that goes for those who get 8s and 9s as well. Most scripts aren't bought and most signed-up writers don't get anywhere, either. That's just the reality of the business: it's all-but impossible to be good enough to make it and even if you are, it's all-but impossible to make a sale let alone a career. We're talking lottery-style odds. Even so, give me a read and hosting for a month rather than the one-shot of a competition.

I think the overall message of your reply is that I should always be looking to self-improve and make no excuses for my failures, especially at the cost of others.
    Exactly.

Again, thanks for taking the time to read what I wrote, offer the criticism, and inspire me to be honest with myself.
    You're welcome. I guarantee you will come out of it for the better: either quitting because you can't write any better or can't cope with the lottery-style odds - or by raising your game and getting that 8.
    M.A.G.A.

Comment

Sorry, but every set of comments I've seen posted from The Black List are basically bullsh*t. It's pablum, designed to make it sound like you might kind-of, just about, sort of, maybe make it, with a polish, another month's fee to host it and another paid review. Who knows, you might make that "6" a "7", or even an "8" this time! Wouldn't that be dandy? Doesn't this make more sense than spending a dollar for the $120 million lottery?

In the meantime you read tortured comments like: "Could be made into a successful small budget picture if the right person with a keen interest in vulture vomit, at a specialized production company, went to bat for it."

And no, I'm not a bitter former customer with an ax to grind. This has the stench of scam and hopelessness from miles away, so I've never gone near it.

Studios and production companies have carefully erected barriers to stop the barbarians at their gates. Why would they want to go sifting through a site that lists scripts by these same barbarians, just because the barbarians paid to be listed?
      "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

You say you're not bitter but you've never tried TBL and clearly haven't done even basic research yet you're insisting it's a seedy scam, even going so far as to put words in their mouths to fit the snake-oil salesman narrative you wish to believe. Dangling the seductive carrot of 'maybe make it with a polish and another review' is totally at odds with the majority who's experience is being slaughtered - hence all the bruised egos carping in various BL threads. If what you say was true then they'd be hanging on to those rays of hope instead of the reality which is: 'the reader said it was fun/original/unique yet they gave me a 5, WTF?' (as per the OP). They've also never said it's better than the lottery.

What they have said - countless times - and stated it on their website - is that if you're not getting the results you want then stop paying in. But hey, that flies in the face of TBL being hucksters so, yeah, let's conveniently forget that. And whilst we're at it we'll forget the successes that have come through TBL, too - some of which are DDP'ers. True, those successes are a fraction of overall submissions but that's the same as competitions or soliciting agents and prodcos.
        Last edited by SundownInRetreat; 06-25-2017, 10:46 AM.
        M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
          You say you're not bitter but you've never tried TBL and clearly haven't done even basic research yet you're insisting it's a seedy scam, even going so far as to put words in their mouths to fit the snake-oil salesman narrative you wish to believe. Dangling the seductive carrot of 'maybe make it with a polish and another review' is totally at odds with the majority who's experience is being slaughtered - hence all the bruised egos carping in various BL threads. If what you say was true then they'd be hanging on to those rays of hope instead of the reality which is: 'the reader said it was fun/original/unique yet they gave me a 5, WTF?' (as per the OP). They've also never said it's better than the lottery.

What they have said - countless times - and stated it on their website - is that if you're not getting the results you want then stop paying in. But hey, that flies in the face of TBL being hucksters so, yeah, let's conveniently forget that. And whilst we're at it we'll forget the successes that have come through TBL, too - some of which are DDP'ers. True, those successes are a fraction of overall submissions but that's the same as competitions or soliciting agents and prodcos.
          Okay, so you've done some research ... can you give me some sample stories of successes using Blacklist? If this was the way to go there should be quite a few success stories by now. As for the reviews ... I've seen some of them (posted here) and Storywriter pretty much has it right on. Vague, nothing reviews that are just about useless, except to encourage you to keep coming back. And wasn't it Blacklist that was hiring reviewers via Craigslist? (Or was that a rumor? I can't remember anymore.)

Personally, my main issue with Blacklist is that they monopolize this forum, which used to be one of my favorites before they showed up. Why don't they invest in their own forum so their own users can ramble on endlessly about making "sixes into sevens or sevens or eights" ... or whatever -- none of which seems to be selling any scripts.

As for me I would be more than happy to "unbitter" myself about Blacklist if they could just move on out of here and into their own digs.
          STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

In my own bitter way, I really don't like the way Blacklist conflates what was the real Blacklist, with the huckster "pay for play" site. They are same thing in the sense that a man-eating lion, is the same thing as a stray, tabby kitten, because, as you know, they're both cats.

There's no shortcuts. You sell on talent, hard work, persistence and a hell of a lot of luck. (Did I mention talent?)

Blacklist: At least two months listing (recommended) -- At least two paid evaluations (also recommended) -- $200.

For $100, send me a hard copy of your script. I'll read it twice, say you got an "8", write some happy, happy horsh##, about how it could sell to "somebody" and throw it away for you.

Both options get the same results. One is half the price.

Comment

Originally posted by StoryWriter View Post
              For $100, send me a hard copy of your script. I'll read it twice, say you got an "8", write some happy, happy horsh##, about how it could sell to "somebody" and throw it away for you.

Really? Because my 8's have gotten me a dozen phone calls with agents, managers, producers and directors in NY and LA. And I didn't have to query a single one of them, which means my time is spent writing.

Can you do that for me? Because I'll send you the $100 right now.

I've been resisting the urge to post in this thread, because the complaints have the stink of bitter, failed writer all over them and therefore are immune to reasoning, but for anyone else following along at home, this is a long game and there never have been and never will be any quick results.

Also, there is absolutely no shame in spending a little bit of money to promote your work, IF you have the money to spare, and IF you are getting some kind of return on it within a reasonable period of time.

Could you imagine how absurd it would be to hear entrepreneurs sitting around complaining that the public relations and advertising industries were 'scams' that prey on small businesses owners?

Comment

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
                Really? Because my 8's have gotten me a dozen phone calls with agents, managers, producers and directors in NY and LA. And I didn't have to query a single one of them, which means my time is spent writing.

I've been resisting the urge to post in this thread, because the complaints have the stink of bitter, failed writer all over them and therefore are immune to reasoning, but for anyone else following along at home, this is a long game and there never have been and never will be any quick results.

Also, there is absolutely no shame in spending a little bit of money to promote your work, IF you have the money to spare, and IF you are getting some kind of return on it within a reasonable period of time.

Could you imagine how absurd it would be to hear entrepreneurs sitting around complaining that the public relations and advertising industries were 'scams' that prey on small businesses owners?
                Since you're experienced with the Blacklist, I was wondering if you could point out how you could get the most benefit from it. So, you upload a script and then buy 2 evaluations....then, if it scores high, it gets read by whoever downloads the script? I read the FAQ, but wasn't quite sure how it all works. I am more familiar with the annual list, but haven't really checked out the pay site, even though I see a lot of threads about the pay site. For those who have not used the site, we're not as familiar with all the ins and outs of it. How do you get read on the site? If you get anything less than an 8, do you just pull your script?

Comment

Blacklist is not "doing it for you" either. I'm pretty sure you've been writing and marketing your scripts long before the "pay-for-play" Blacklist ever existed. (Correct me, if I'm wrong.) You've been learning through the years. Blacklist didn't give you that education.

For every one of "you" on Blacklist, there's probably at least 500 Joe "Boom Boom" Whizbangs getting fleeced.

Joe went to Obscure Communtity College, where Professor Bob taught Creative Writing and looked at Joe's stuff and said: "Wow -- you is good!" So now Joe thinks he can write. Hell -- why not do a screenplay and make the big bucks?

He writes one and judges it splendid. But for some reason, the ten spelling mistakes and grammatical errors, on the first page, are kind of a turn off to anyone he can rope into reading it. Not to worry -- Blacklist to the rescue.

For the low price of not eating for a week, he can list his gem and have a "pro" evaluate it for him. Such a bargain. He doesn't get a very high rating, but does get some mighty encouraging cooing from the "pro". "Wow, maybe if I can correct three or four of those glaring spelling mistakes, I can get a higher number, when I re-up for a month and get another "pro" to read it", he thinks. (He even thinks with run-on sentences.) So he does and "ka-ching" Blacklist makes some more money off of Joe "Boom Boom" (Sucker) Whizbang.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Blacklist is a money-making business, right? I only ask because some people, here, seem to think it's the freakin' "Benevolent Aid Society", that only decided to help screenwriters after there weren't any more hungry children to feed or stray kittens to rescue.

Good luck with your writing, however you sell it.

But my half-price offer still stands for anyone interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
                    So, you upload a script and then buy 2 evaluations....then, if it scores high, it gets read by whoever downloads the script? I read the FAQ, but wasn't quite sure how it all works. I am more familiar with the annual list, but haven't really checked out the pay site, even though I see a lot of threads about the pay site. For those who have not used the site, we're not as familiar with all the ins and outs of it. How do you get read on the site? If you get anything less than an 8, do you just pull your script?
                    I uploaded the script and bought ONE evaluation. It got an 8, which entitled me to 2 months free hosting and 2 free evaluations, which I took advantage of.

One of the free evaluations came back as an 8, which entitled me to another 2 months hosting and 2 more free evaluations.

I just got off the phone with someone 5 minutes ago who downloaded the script last December and finally got around to reading it. Things take time.

This is my third script I've uploaded to the BL. For the first two, I uploaded them and purchased 2 evaluations (this was back when they were $50).

Both scripts got 7's and almost no interest from anyone and I pulled them down after a month or two. There is no sense spending money when you're not getting results.

It's easy to fall into the mental trap of thinking that this is all a crap shoot. The truth is, it's just really really really hard to execute fresh ideas.

When people ask "Where are all the Black List success stories?", you have to remember that there are only 3-4 new writers breaking in via spec in the entire world every year.

It's easier to just ask where are ANY success stories.

Comment

all interesting. i've never used the blacklist and know very little about it. so i probably shouldn't comment but of course will anyway.

i've spent money/invested in my writing career. i've paid for feedback a few times (hi bart!) and i found all useful and a good learning experience. i had to wait months and spent a fairly large sum of money for feedback once. was worth every penny. unlike me, he knew the hell what he was talking about and became my mentor and a good friend. starting out, i also paid money once for supposed hollywood access, that was not helpful in any way except i grew up a bit. spending money on pens, pencils, paper, a computer and printer, etc., always a good investment. so is a free library card. invaluable! i guess some things works for some and don't work for others. i do try to steer away from toll roads and shortcuts. i love dirt roads. i just try to keep my old truck running and pointed in the right direction, hopefully. what works, works. sounds like this service works for some and for some it doesn't. very understandable.
                      Last edited by AnconRanger; 06-28-2017, 09:23 AM.

Comment

I uploaded the script and bought ONE evaluation. It got an 8, which entitled me to 2 months free hosting and 2 free evaluations, which I took advantage of.

One of the free evaluations came back as an 8, which entitled me to another 2 months hosting and 2 more free evaluations.

I just got off the phone with someone 5 minutes ago who downloaded the script last December and finally got around to reading it. Things take time.

This is my third script I've uploaded to the BL. For the first two, I uploaded them and purchased 2 evaluations (this was back when they were $50).

Both scripts got 7's and almost no interest from anyone and I pulled them down after a month or two. There is no sense spending money when you're not getting results.

It's easy to fall into the mental trap of thinking that this is all a crap shoot. The truth is, it's just really really really hard to execute fresh ideas.

When people ask "Where are all the Black List success stories?", you have to remember that there are only 3-4 new writers breaking in via spec in the entire world every year.

It's easier to just ask where are ANY success stories.
                        Thanks for giving the birdseye view of how things are done. For a lot of people who have not used the service, reading threads and the FAQ is like watching people talk about baseball when you've never watched baseball.... a lot of talk about hosting and evaluations. So thanks for simplifying it and telling how it all works. Do you think it harms a script if it's put up there and it turns out to get a 7 or less?

I think if you're deciding to pursue this, you're going to have to look at it like trying to crack the NBA. It's not like picking up a basketball is somehow not worth while, you learn something every step along the way. There's only very few that ever get in, but doesn't mean that some don't inch closer with every step. Blacklist is just another avenue to research if it's worthwhile... I would prefer to keep all options on the table. Some here aren't really newbies...they might actually have already had options, managers, and just didn't like how it went so are looking for new representatives...there's a lot of false starts, dead ends and start overs.

Comment

Originally posted by Centos View Post
                          Okay, so you've done some research ... can you give me some sample stories of successes using Blacklist?
                          I did. Not my fault if you're not reading properly. You've also been around for a few years - you should know them too.

If this was the way to go there should be quite a few success stories by now.
                          There are and I named a few And, as also said before, in the same proportion to those who succeed by other avenues - in other words: only 0.001% are good enough writers to make it and write something people want to make. The quality of script writers doesn't go up just because it's the Black List. You still get the same old dreamers and time wasters as every other avenue - which is why the system is a closed shop in the first place.

As for the reviews ... I've seen some of them (posted here) and Storywriter pretty much has it right on. Vague, nothing reviews that are just about useless, except to encourage you to keep coming back.
                          If you're gonna quote me and reply then at least don't mention issues I've already dealt with and dismissed. Notes are useless. And if you keep seeing notes encouraging users to try again then open your eyes and see the overwhelming feedback from crying writers who've just been ripped apart (hint: they're the ones whining that their script wasn't read properly or that the reader didn't get it or didn't like the genre).

Personally, my main issue with Blacklist is that they monopolize this forum, which used to be one of my favorites before they showed up.
                          So your main issue has nothing to do with whether their quality or ability to open doors. Okay.

Why don't they invest in their own forum so their own users can ramble on endlessly about making "sixes into sevens or sevens or eights" ... or whatever -- none of which seems to be selling any scripts.
                          Because their whole point is not to provide notes or a community but to a) expose quality scripts to industry players, allow industry players to scour for scripts ranked by a source they trust, and to provide you with the cache of scoring highly on this highly-rated source.

It's an upgraded version of the old-style pass/consider/recommend system. Except instead of pass - you get to know how close you are, instead of going into a black hole - whether you pass or recommend - you have exposure and searchability, and you also get to market yourself on the back of that rating as well.
                          M.A.G.A.

Comment

In my own bitter way, I really don't like the way Blacklist conflates what was the real Blacklist, with the huckster "pay for play" site. They are same thing in the sense that a man-eating lion, is the same thing as a stray, tabby kitten, because, as you know, they're both cats.
                            You see what you wanna see. No one can help you but you.

There's no shortcuts. You sell on talent, hard work, persistence and a hell of a lot of luck. (Did I mention talent?)
                            And no one said otherwise. You're an idiot if you think they did. This is why so few get the good scores and why so few make it (though they do make it). You can't have it both ways. One cry is that TBL is a scam because newly signed-up writers aren't streaming out of its doors every week and yet the other cry is that there's no shortcuts and that it takes talent.

The Black List never promises to make anyone a star - only to rank your script, host it, and give it exposure if it's deemed good enough. What s so hard for you to understand? If you weren't so busy cynically looking for the smoke and mirrors you'd see it does exactly what it says it will do and that it delivers.

My talent didn't get better via the Black List, my script didn't get better because of it either, but avenues did open up because of it. Because they gave me exposure and publicity. Even self-marketing on the back of my Black List score improved - overnight.

Blacklist: At least two months listing (recommended) -- At least two paid evaluations (also recommended) -- $200.
                            You have zero point. You pay to attend pitchfests. Besides, you don't have to do anything other than what you want to do. I hosted for one month - got the 8, got the exposure, got the interest, got the manager, got the meetings.

You make me laugh. If they didn't put up any recommendations then they'd be in the wrong for giving no clarity and hoping users host for months on end. If they recommended one month and one read then they'd be in the wrong for making it sound too easy. And when they recommend what they have - they're money-grabbing leeches.

And whilst we're at it, it's their fault that no-hopers throw their money at them and keep on doing so time and time again.

And all this just proves you're cluelessly talking shit.
                            It's not about just reading and giving notes. It never has. And one fo the thingsthey're said - ad nauseum to the whining hordes who missed that 8 - is that they're not a note-providing service.

So you can get me some BS notes, eh? Can you get publicise me to key players in the industry? Can you get me meetings with producers for The Terminator franchise, Lucifer and the BBC? Can you suddenly get the top agencies to respond to my mails and to offer me open-door policies? Can you get me management? Because all this happened to me off the back of my Back List results.

Do some ****ing research instead of gobbing off and embarrassing yourself. That way you'll realise it's not 'the same results' at all.
                            M.A.G.A.

Comment

BOOM! HEADSHOT!
                              M.A.G.A.

Comment

Blacklist is not "doing it for you" either.
                                Yes, it is. Score high enough and you get trumpeted from the rooftops to the people that count. The hungry vultures waiting for the call of 'we've got a great feast for you here'.

I'm pretty sure you've been writing and marketing your scripts long before the "pay-for-play" Blacklist ever existed. (Correct me, if I'm wrong.) You've been learning through the years. Blacklist didn't give you that education.
                                But Black List gave you the exposure to the people that count, who just happen to be listening because they trust the Black List. It doesn't matter if you're the next Frank Scott - if you cant get people who count to read your work then you're not getting a career. If you're just another cold query, another manuscript in a pile of manuscripts you're getting nowhere fast except for sheer luck.

TBL puts you on another level. Even whe just querying on your own - because the cache of TBL is greater than any cold call or QF any contest bar the top 3.

For every one of "you" on Blacklist, there's probably at least 500 Joe "Boom Boom" Whizbangs getting fleeced.
                                1) No one fleeces anyone. People pay money. Blame them, no one else.
                                2) The Joe Booms also pay for pitchfests virtualfests, script notes, competitions, how-to-write-a-killer-script instruction books. All of which entice people with the prospect of making it big - even the no-hopers - yet I don't see you bashing them. It's all the same - a fraction of people who have what it takes and an overwhelming majority who don't. And they all utilise these services. Again, blame the person throwing the money, no one else.

[]He writes one and judges it splendid. But for some reason, the ten spelling mistakes and grammatical errors, on the first page, are kind of a turn off to anyone he can rope into reading it. Not to worry -- Blacklist to the rescue.[/quote]
                                Except the Black List routinely carves a new arsehole out of writers who thought they were really good because they placed highly in school or some mid-tier competition. And then they come running to the forums crying their eyes out at how TBL is mean and nasty and their readers are useless because their script was torn apart.

For the low price of not eating for a week, he can list his gem and have a "pro" evaluate it for him. Such a bargain.
                                And for that low cost Joe gets to have his script viewable for an entire month and marketed if it's rated 'pro quality'. He also gets the score and notes and the score alone is worth the entrance fee because it opens doors that were previously locked.

I say it again, I got management, meetings with well-known Hollywood producers, and open-door policies with various agencies. On top of having my script hosted for an entire month. That's easily, easily, worth the low price of not eating for a week.

He doesn't get a very high rating, but does get some mighty encouraging cooing from the "pro".
                                Except this doesn't happen. This is just your own make-believe to spin a narrative of your choosing. A not-high rating is a hard pass. Hard. Pass. Don't believe me? Scour the plethora of BL bitch threads here at DDP.

"Wow, maybe if I can correct three or four of those glaring spelling mistakes, I can get a higher number, when I re-up for a month and get another "pro" to read it", he thinks. (He even thinks with run-on sentences.) So he does and "ka-ching" Blacklist makes some more money off of Joe "Boom Boom" (Sucker) Whizbang.
                                Then Joe is a fucking idiot and you can't legislate for idiots. If you think you can then wave goodbye to chainsaws, cars, knives and household electricity because they can all be fatal in the hands of a fucking idiot.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Blacklist is a money-making business, right? I only ask because some people, here, seem to think it's the freakin' "Benevolent Aid Society", that only decided to help screenwriters after there weren't any more hungry children to feed or stray kittens to rescue.[/quote]
                                No one.
                                I repeat: no one.
                                Has ever thought they were the BS you've just spouted.

Good luck with your writing, however you sell it.
                                Good luck with your bitterness at TBL rejection.

But my half-price offer still stands for anyone interested.
                                1) Why would anyone be interested in the feedback from a TBL reject?
                                2) Who would want to pay for feedback that opens ZERO doors?
                                M.A.G.A.

Comment

Working...
                                X