No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first Blacklist review - 8

!
    Last edited by Bainbridge; 04-05-2016, 07:54 AM.

Re: My first Blacklist review - 8

Flattering but still only 2 pro DLs. We'll see.

Comment

Well we can all see you've got the gift of brevity.

Good work man. 8 has to feel good. An 8, while still only one reader's opinion, is still a legitimate verification that you moved and impressed someone in an art form as rigorous as screenwriting. Relish that feeling.

Then, if you still don't have a manager/agent, I would be querying like mad and mention the BL score in the subject line.

GL to you, sir.

Comment

Post the review.
        I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by Bainbridge View Post
          Flattering but still only 2 pro DLs. We'll see.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Screenwriti...rst_scriptnow/

Got an 8 on the BlackList for my first script...now what?

I'm in college on the East Coast. I wasn't expecting this at all. What happens now besides the email? I also asked for the two free evaluations they gave me. I'm kind of freaking out and could use the advice.

--------------------
          AndySipherBullTerrence,

Exciting times! The next step in the process is getting a 6 followed by a 7 on your next two evaluations. After that comes an angry follow-up post gravely questioning the blacklist's usefulness and assuring everyone that you're done with it. Next, Franklin Leonard will comment on your post reminding everyone that the blacklist exists only to help people produce more marketable scripts. And finally, everyone will forget this ever happened.

Comment

Margot Robbie comes to your dorm and takes you to dinner

Comment

It literally means nothing. I got an 8 and praise, and... Nuthin. It's still just a crap shoot. You most likely will get a lot more looks and downloads. You're better off cold querying. Good luck, hope something happens for you.

Comment

If you only got your script looked at by a BL reader, then an 8 doesn't necessarily mean anything. Something like 90% + of 8's lead nowhere. Has any other professional reader or writer looked at it? If different (non-biased)people say it's professionally written or a great read, then you may have a solid script in your hands.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                  If you only got your script looked at by a BL reader, then an 8 doesn't necessarily mean anything. Something like 90% + of 8's lead nowhere. Has any other professional reader or writer looked at it? If different (non-biased)people say it's professionally written or a great read, then you may have a solid script in your hands.
                  I just have to jump in here and ask how you came up with that 90% number. We've certainly never run any analysis on anything remotely similar, and I certainly haven't seen anyone else back into it.

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
                    I just have to jump in here and ask how you came up with that 90% number. We've certainly never run any analysis on anything remotely similar, and I certainly haven't seen anyone else back into it.
                    Actually, I think it was closer to 95%. Lauri did an analysis 2 years ago. It was number of 8's that resulted in manager/agent/producer interest. You then pointed that it didn't include success stories that weren't reported.

Maybe it's changed. Can you calculate that percentage now?

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                      Post the review.
                      Still awaiting my second review. It was ordered 51 days ago, so evidently demand is FAR outweighing supply still, at least in my genre. Here's my first review though. Composite scores were 7,7, 8, 8, and 9. Overall 8.

Menu
                      Era:
                      Present Day / 2000s

Locations:
                      New Orleans, LA

Genre:
                      Comedy Thriller, Dark Comedy, Drama, Crime Drama, Crime Thriller

Logline:
                      A self-taught chef struggling to stay atop the culinary world hires an apprentice to help develop new recipes, but the young trainee soon discovers the chef's secret ingredient... human.

Strengths:
                      CARNE is shockingly delightful; a series that will have you coming back for seconds and thirds. The dark tone and unexpected plot twists are expertly crafted, complementing the well-developed characters and strong dialogue. This pilot incorporates the culinary world and the setting of New Orleans in a way that also pairs nicely with the plot. LEVI is such a peculiar character, but it's hard not to root for him. If Frank Underwood was a chef, his name would be LEVI CHEVAL. The subplot of him having conversations with dead bodies is an interesting example of how this script turns the perverse into the provocative. DEV is the perfect foil for LEVI because of his open naivety, which contrasts well with LEVI's personality. The pilot thoroughly sets up the dynamic between LEVI, TERRY, and KAREN to be a future source of conflict that narrative can be driven from. The use of diagrams and animations to explain the anatomy of various animals is visually engaging and adds to the humor. Regardless of the viability of this concept in the marketplace, industry readers should recommend this writer because of the realness brought to the table with disturbingly entertaining ideas executed to perfection.

Weaknesses:
                      The unconventional premise may be unpalatable to most networks, so any ways to brighten the possibilities of the script with innocence, romance, and playfulness would help its marketability. In terms of plot, LEVI's motivations for hiring DEV feel understated. Is he doing it because he doesn't trust anyone else who works for him? What about his waning success has made him hire an inexperienced apprentice? All of the characters are connected with clear purpose, which mostly holds up (feels slightly convenient) until the reveal that LEVI is sleeping with LACEY. Then it starts to get a little soap opera. Going forward, expanding outside of LEVI's inner circle to see other characters' story lines will go a long way in maintaining audience appetite. The script was devoid of flaws, except for a misspelling of LACEY as "Lacy" on p.27.

TV series potential:
                      CARNE offers a very original story set in an attractive world, but the dark elements make it a tough sell to most broadcast networks. Basic or premium cable might be the preferred outlet to best preserve the dark tone and possibilities. If you baked DEXTER and HANNIBAL into BURNT, you'd be served with a delicious concoction called, CARNE.

Pages:

« Go back

Comment

That first eval didn't produce anything of value for me. Maybe if I get on the top quarterly list after my second eval, that will change, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I did have a successful query with a junior associate at a very good management firm who read and liked my script. He asked me to contact him after staffing season settles down. That was the result of a good logline, good script, and persistent but respectful follow up. I'm much more excited about this than my BL 8.

Comment

Originally posted by Bainbridge View Post
                          That first eval didn't produce anything of value for me. Maybe if I get on the top quarterly list after my second eval, that will change, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I did have a successful query with a junior associate at a very good management firm who read and liked my script. He asked me to contact him after staffing season settles down. That was the result of a good logline, good script, and persistent but respectful follow up. I'm much more excited about this than my BL 8.
                          That's the right attitude to have. And it is a really good logline, actually. You could have even dropped "human" and left it as a kind of cliffhanger. But that's a good concept. The moral of the story, before you send out a script be sure it's good and can be sold by a logline.

I did get more traffic once my script was put on the quarterly list. But alas... I'd rather have direct contact with the people and get some feedback why they passed (that would be a value of the service if Franklin is still reading).

Good luck with it!

Comment

I'm a proponent of the Blacklist but the magic 8s really haven't done a thing for me on the site. One pilot that received an 8 resulted in one pro view. The other feature was on the email list this week and has one pro view and one download...which occurred before the email went out. I'm probably being impatient on the latter, but given my experience with the first one, definitely not holding my breath. (especially given that both are period) I had way more traction making the top list by rolling straight 7s - I received emails from managers and assistants.

I have had success querying and getting reads but my hit rate on responses when mentioning an 8 versus not is about the same - 1/10 or so, which seems respectable.

Comment

Originally posted by Zed's_Dead View Post
                              That's the right attitude to have. And it is a really good logline, actually. You could have even dropped "human" and left it as a kind of cliffhanger. But that's a good concept. The moral of the story, before you send out a script be sure it's good and can be sold by a logline.

I did get more traffic once my script was put on the quarterly list. But alas... I'd rather have direct contact with the people and get some feedback why they passed (that would be a value of the service if Franklin is still reading).

Good luck with it!
                              Thanks. That was actually a logline that the reader decided to translate himself. My logline, and the one that resulted in a succesful query was:

Carne: A rising culinary star struggles to attain his ultimate goal while hiding his secret, which happens to be his secret ingredient - human flesh.

Comment

Working...
                              X