Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 2 cents on the DRESS CODE topic.

It is the general ideal that working writers in the business wear jeans and flannel shirts , messy hair and stuff like that.

Well yeah i guess if you are an established writer making the big bucks then you can dress however you want.

BUT dude,If you're pitch to the BIG WIGS at the studios you better not walk in there looking like a bum!

Personally i think a nice suit well dry cleaned is appropriate
    not jeans not flannel and not a baseball cap.

If i were an Exec and some guy walked in looking like Forest Gump i would not take him serious and i would probably laugh.
    this is a business and you have to treat it as such!
    you are what you wear.
    ====================================

And for the LADIES:
    You guys should dress sexy as you can, it doesn't matter if its a dress ,skirt or pants.
    jeans are ok as long as their nice and clean.
    stay away from silly designs.
    wear jewelry and make up.
    Laugh at all their jokes even if its not funny and lie about your age! I'm just being honest
    It would help too if you could write a great script.

"You better not go in there looking like a bum."

- Why not? It's one of the few perks of being a writer, don't take that away from us.

Comment

I can count on one hand the number of people I've seen in a suit on a studio lot.

Example---watch The Matrix Revisited. There are interviews with Lorenzo DiBonaventura, who is the head of Warner Brothers Studio. He's the big cheese. What is he wearing in his office in the interview? Jeans and a shirt and a tie.

Comment

Yes, but cut back to when he just started out and wasn't in that lush office...do you think he was as casual as he is now? Fact of the matter is simple:We all have our styles. I personally follow Coppola and Hitchcock and will (as a Director) wear a suit or at least along those lines. Look, we know not to over dress when first starting out, but as many said, once your in, your in. I met A.C. Lyles a few times, and he mentioned trends in the business. Said that the old days of Hollywood are gone, but not for good. He said, he personally likes it when "young men" wear suits, etc. So wear what you want, but as it has been stated, don't over do it. Come on, your meaning to tell me that if you walked into Brian Grazers office, with the next Academy Award winning script, but had a suit on, he'd 86 ya? No way!

Comment

There's nothing to do but let them learn the hard way.

Comment

...watch what happens when they walk onto the lot. other writers will think they're agents and will be pitching them projects.

Comment

These people who have never been into a pitch meeting, never been on a studio lot, are trying to tell others how to dress? Please.

2 cents, indeed.

Comment

Look, as a writer, you can wear whatever you decide. But if you walk into a pitch meeting wearing a suit and tie, and the execs there are wearing jeans or shorts or are barefoot, they are going to be focused FIRST on how out of place you look. When you are Coppola, or Hitchcock, or Sonnenfeld, then they won't care. Until then, why stand out in an obvious and odd way?

Comment

Is this the kind of thing you could ask your agent?

"Yo, dclary, some guyz down at the WB wants to look at yer script"

(I don't know, my fictional agent's a chicago gangster?)

"OK, Guido. What should I wear?"

"I think a polo and some dockerz'll do ya good, kid. Don' wanna scarez 'em wit da zoot suit, yaknowaddamean??"

"Um, yeah, Guido. Thanks."

Seeing as my personal hygiene idol is Peter Jackson, I'll probably have to dress up (from my normal writing attire) anyway!

Comment

SCREENWRITERS DO NOT WEAR SUITS TO MEETINGS EVER EVER EVER EVER!!!! ( Unless they want to look like pretentious a**holes and have studio execs laugh at them after they leave). What do I wear to meetings? Whatever the hell I happened to put on when I got up in the morning: Jeans, a shirt of some kind and clogs or sneakers.

Comment

Where the f*** was this rule posted? Did I miss a memo? My argument is dress code, period. Like I've stated, I'll wear casual to a pitch, but I will not wear jeans and a flannel (I'd never wear that anyway, I'm not stuck in the past). All I am arguing is, wear what you want to wear. F*** those that say otherwise, and there's no point in arguing I guess, because everyone thinks they are right and others are wrong. Thus, I will be the one in my bath robe and Twinkie PJ's from Target, not to forget my Van's with palm trees on them!

FYI - I have been to a studio before, and I have seen all kind of variations of dress. Then again, theres no love for me, so I could tell you I have been to the moon and saw Elvis making out with Tootie Fields.

Comment

For me, the last thing I'm worried about is what to wear to a meeting. My primary worry is creating a script that'll get me a meeting. I deal with hypotheticals in my writing and reality as it happens. Best of luck to all whether in jeans, flannel, silk suits, or polyester.

P.S. Elvis and that chick from Facts of Life, whoa.

Comment

2 Cents

I have sat in on hundreds of pitch meetings and I've seen many writers' dressed in suits or nice casual. Many of these folks were well known, highly paid writers. But in general, most come in dressed in jeans, nike's and a t-shirt. I have personally written two assignments for different studios and been on close to a hundred meet-and-greets, and I have usually worn a suit or gone nice casual. No one had ever complained to my former manager about my dress code. Writers rarely have a sense of style or flair, and I refuse to be one of those jerky louts who looks like he can't get a date. Perhaps many of those who protest don't understand the dynamic involved in sales. There's something very powerful about someone who walks into a room for the first time who looks, acts and behaves like they're well-paid, successful individuals with status and taste. And if you think otherwise, perhaps you should brush up on a few book by Charles Darwin.

Comment

Re: 2 Cents

Not Tootie from the Facts of Life, the comedian from the 60s/70s!

Amen to the comment about worrying more about the script then the suit!

Comment

Re: 2 Cents

If a suit makes you feel successful and comfortable, go get em.

Comment

Working...
                              X