Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Following on Fox

Ive been watching the trailers and promos for this show. Personally I just don't feel that a tv show in primetime (or anytime for that matter) about glorifying a serial killer who gets a "following", has any place on television now a days. Call me old fashioned, but really..I mean, It's just too much in this day and age. I didn't write this to start a "does tv and media make people kill" either. I just think there are more wholesome, or LESS violent things people can fill their brain with other than this garbage!!

what do you all think about it?
    • Go and do likewise gents..

Re: The Following on Fox

I think there are other things to worry about.

HH

Comment

Originally posted by ChristopherCurtis View Post
      Ive been watching the trailers and promos for this show. Personally I just don't feel that a tv show in primetime (or anytime for that matter) about glorifying a serial killer who gets a "following", has any place on television now a days. Call me old fashioned, but really..I mean, It's just too much in this day and age. I didn't write this to start a "does tv and media make people kill" either. I just think there are more wholesome, or LESS violent things people can fill their brain with other than this garbage!!

Where did you get this from? It's about an FBI agent trying to stop a serial killer and his minions -- very black and white, good guy vs. bad guy, message of "serial killers are bad".

Comment

the serial killer develops a "following", meaning "fans", that is a main part of the show, that he lures them into his sick world, teaching them how to be serial killers. That's real awesome, uplifting,positive and wholesome. great family entertainment, lemme tell ya. Of course kevin bacon tries to find and stop him, but from the trailers and promos i've seen, it's all about him luring his "followers" into his world and turning them into serial killers. anyway you try to slice it (no pun intended), it's just gross, and I bet it doesn't last....

Comment

I guess you won't be watching "Cult" either. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJnIGUmzZTw
          "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

There is definitely a "following" for dark drama on TV. Breaking Bad, The Killing, Dexter...

I mean, come the fvck on, no one is forcing anyone to watch these shows. People enjoy unique stories/characters, whether dark or not. Serial killer stories are hardly gross. They're tried and proven.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post
              There is definitely a "following" for dark drama on TV. Breaking Bad, The Killing, Dexter...

I mean, come the fvck on, no one is forcing anyone to watch these shows. People enjoy unique stories/characters, whether dark or not. Serial killer stories are hardly gross. They're tried and proven.
              oh im not disputing the fact that the appetite for this kind of drama exists..those shows you mentioned are on paid cable channels though...this is FOX. I'm certainly not Mr. push my personal beliefs and morals on others guy...but it just seems a little much right now for network television in my personal opinion. I watch BB, GOT, and used to watch Dexter when it started, but it's just too much FOR ME, others..not so much, they love it. I just don't like serial killer things, creeps me out, it exists, and well, its scary.

SO, we shall see what Middle America thinks, not the CABLE world, but Network TV, if a serial killer series (not 1 episode of CSI or Law and order), but a full series will work or not....guess we check back in a few weeks after it debuts. They have been really ramping up the marketing and promo, usually a sign to me that they are nervous about it and it's success.

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
                I guess you won't be watching "Cult" either. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJnIGUmzZTw
                yea, you are right about that, not only because of the subject matter, but because it's on the CW. lol.

Comment

1) Is the writing any good?

2) See #1.

Comment

I think I won't know if it's garbage or glorifies serial killers until I see it. Not the promotion, the actual show. Have you seen it?

This day and age isn't really all that different from past days and ages. Violence as entertainment is an ancient concept. Human beings cope with their deepest fears by vicariously experiencing them through others. Fortunately "in this day and age" it's mostly through fictional characters rather than gladiators, bear-baiting, and public torture.

I understand not liking crime shows. I like most of them, but will skip any episode involving child victims. That's not entertaining to me, it's deeply distressing. But I don't assume that because those subjects disturb me in particular, they are garbage and unwholesome.

"Wholesome" is a subjective term anyway. One could argue that a Christmas movie about elves is unwholesome, as the Santa myth only encourages parents to lie to their children, promotes rampant consumerism, and further "takes the Christ out of Christmas." That doesn't mean your script is garbage, does it? Or that it shouldn't be broadcast? It just means not everyone will like it.

I think there is a valid discussion to be had about the fetishization of violence against women. I get tired of seeing half-naked nubile young women chased around by serial killers. And I think it's a sad commentary on our feelings about sex and violence that if a woman gets her breast sliced off in a film, that's an R but if her breast is kissed, it's an NC-17.

But these aren't the kinds of discussions I can have about The Following until I've actually seen it.

Comment

My prediction is The Following will be too dark for network TV watchers and too light for cable TV watchers.

Comment

They have been really ramping up the marketing and promo, usually a sign to me that they are nervous about it and it's success.
                        Exactly backwards.

Comment

I agree with atb, based on the many different lengthy trailers and 'special' on after football last night, that's what the gist of my post was. That it may be to light for the usef to cable shows, and for the mainstream non cable audience not used to that kind of thing, it might be too much. Also someone said here that he won't watch anything with children victims, I agree and that's my point, like who does and would watch such a thing. I'm watching the Brady bunch right now on hallmark, followed by happy days. No matter what anyone says I refuse to buy that violence had been a part of popular mainstream culture forever, cause it hasn't been. It's been around since the beginning of time, but not mainstream, which is why I thi k the following will meet an untimely death, pun intended. Also, santa and elves are just a tad bit different than serial killers hacking up victims and the like. In think most could agree with that. Ps. How did u know about hh?

Comment

Dude, slow down.

Use the return key.

Proofread.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                              Dude, slow down.

Use the return key.

Proofread.