Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inhumanoids

The whole thing reminds me very much of one of my favourite Saturday-morning cartoon shows from childhood: The Inhumanoids, except in that case, the monsters came from deep within the earth, not deep within the sea.

The Pacific Rim trailer shows a ship carrying a giant skeletal monster carcase, then shows an unleashed monster attacking a bridge.

The first episode of The Inhumanoids showed a giant skeletal monster carcase being carted out, and then showed... an unleashed monster attacking a bridge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVspxocvr4k

In that series, just like in this film, humans garbed up in tech suits to battle the monsters -- the biggest difference being that their suits were man-size.

(Haven't read the script. Just going by the trailer.)
    Last edited by karsten; 12-16-2012, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Pacific Rim 2

Not sure anyone mentioned this, but Pacific Rim 2 is already in the works. Beacham to scribe.

Nothing wrong with a big summer blockbuster. Nothing wrong with writing them either.

I'll be going to this one and the sequel.
      FA4
      Last edited by finalact4; 12-18-2012, 05:27 PM.
      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Re: Pacific Rim

Movie might be good but the trailer wasn't. Reminded me of Battleship.

Comment

I wonder if this is going to slam the brakes on the HAWKEN adaptation.

Comment

Hmm, I changed my mind, I'm on Emily's side, we should support this film.

If it's a success, studios might take more risks with scripts, instead of chasing contained mini budget scripts.

If it flops...go back to that 3 characters one location script you were working on.

Comment

I think big summer tentpole movies have big summer tentpole scripts. That's not really new, and doesn't depend on Pacific Rim succeeding or failing. They're pretty much always going to be huge. Just because something like White House Down didn't have giant robots didn't mean it wasn't over the top and ridiculous, and it's the same class of summer movie.

Every time a romantic comedy comes out, I don't think "I really hope that doesn't do well, because my scripts aren't romantic comedies".
              @ZOlkewicz - Don't follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post
                Hmm, I changed my mind, I'm on Emily's side, we should support this film.

If it's a success, studios might take more risks with scripts, instead of chasing contained mini budget scripts.

If it flops...go back to that 3 characters one location script you were working on.
                I don't understand this logic. Is there something wrong with a 3 character, one location spec? Not everyone aspires to write $200M tentpoles.

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
                I have no problem saying I don't want to see this movie. There was nothing in the trailer that compels me to see this movie. But that's me.

If others want to see it, I don't care. I also don't think it's the death throes of a dying industry. People want to see spectacle so more power to 'em for making this flick.

It just doesn't interest me, and the only reason I'm even saying this is because I resent the fact that writers on here are suggesting other writers support something the writer may not believe in.

I, personally, don't have an obligation to see this movie unless it interests me.

HH
                You're making too much sense here.
                "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by 8bit Llama View Post
                  I think big summer tentpole movies have big summer tentpole scripts. That's not really new, and doesn't depend on Pacific Rim succeeding or failing. They're pretty much always going to be huge. Just because something like White House Down didn't have giant robots didn't mean it wasn't over the top and ridiculous, and it's the same class of summer movie.

Every time a romantic comedy comes out, I don't think "I really hope that doesn't do well, because my scripts aren't romantic comedies".
                  Yeah, but this is a spec while most of the other summer movies are based on franchises.

Comment

Originally posted by Furious Anjel View Post
                    I don't understand this logic. Is there something wrong with a 3 character, one location spec? Not everyone aspires to write $200M tentpoles.
                    Exactly.

That's also why Foxhound's argument makes little sense. WHITE HOUSE DOWN is a big summer movie. Mostly contained as well (within the sense that it basically takes place entirely in the White House). And there's not a robot or alien in site.

There's many different ways to do spectacle.
                    @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post
                      Yeah, but this is a spec while most of the other summer movies are based on franchises.
                      So we should be excited, not upset.
                      @ZOlkewicz - Don't follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by 8bit Llama View Post
                        So we should be excited, not upset.
                        Yes.

Originally posted by Furious Anjel View Post

Nothing wrong with it, but if these kind of movies make a lot of money it will give writers more creative freedom to write them.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
                          Actually I'm from Sydney. Again, nice try.

I'm sorry, but your argument still makes no sense. So you're saying that if all tentpole movies need CGI spectacle to get green lit by a studio, and yours doesn't have that, then you won't get a green light?

I can't believe I'm even arguing about this.
                          I'm not saying ALL, I'm saying the majority. Obviously there will be some exceptions. And I'm saying it hurts a rational blockbuster script's chances.

I can't believe I'm even arguing about this. Just a few years ago Indiana Jones was inside a fridge cartwheeling through the sky riding a shock front from a nuclear bomb blast. And you're telling me blockbusters don't require outlandish CGI spectacles? It's the current Hollywood norm. Wake up!

In the past it wasn't like this. Rememebr a film called Jaws? The only way a big-budget film like this would be greenlit now is if the shark was a radioactively mutated 3000-foot-long ship-eating Great White.
                          I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by TBEagle View Post
                            I see what this is now, someone said your script sucked and made a off hand comment. Scripts readers are subjective but maybe just maybe your script wasn't good enough to them to hold their attention.
                            You're logic is gravely flawed and the thousands of movie released since transformers shows how stupid this argument is.
                            I'm talking about your blockbuster-type film. They've gotten increasingly absurd and full of outlandish CGI spectacle ever since the mid-nineties.

Just compare T2 to T4. We've gone from blowing up a 5-story Cyberdine office building, eluding the LAPD, to blowing up a mile-wide Skynet war facility using a nuclear bomb while trying to elude a CGI Arnold.
                            I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Giant Robots fighting Godzilla like monsters? Sounds like a fun summer escapism film to me. And looks like a lot of fun.

Best,

MB
                              twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

If this type of thing ain't your bag - no worries. Different strokes. All good. I just wish people wouldn't claim the film is gonna suck, based off one trailer, like that's some kind of fact. No one here has seen it. The film isn't even out yet.

Personally I thought the trailer was awesome. I've read two drafts of the script, and it's all there. There's a love story, there's huge stakes, emotion, great characters, and plenty of insane monster fights.
                                @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Working...
                                X