Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug

Don't know if anyone here posted about it yet, but I saw this film and wanted to know what everyone else thought about it. I thought it was a big improvement over the last film, especially in the story department, but the action sequences were more thrilling as well.

There have been some criticisms over the story being stretched to fit three films, but I honestly didn't see too much fluff here, except in the third act where Bilbo was chatting with Smaug for like three repetitive scenes! Apparently, readers of the book tell me that Smaug was conveying crucial information.

Either way, not a bad way to spend a few hours on Saturday if you were thinking about skipping it because of the first installment.
    The Screenwriter's Toolbox: Learn the 15 essential techniques every writer must know before beginning their screenplay
    http://amzn.to/16oqehn

Re: The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug

thought it was rather mediocre. there were no suspense whatsoever. the action was repetative and, frankly, boring. nothing at stake and the same cliche "i am so great, fear me" speak from all villains, yet we never see them back it up. "you will all burn". really? it reminded me of star trek into darkness, where the villain was some blowhard who was supposed to be this super strong, super intelligent man, yet nothing he said or did was intelligent. i've just had it with those kind of villains.

the 48fps is horrible to watch, any movement of the camera made me uncomfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bananos View Post
      nothing at stake and the same cliche "i am so great, fear me" speak from all villains, yet we never see them back it up. "you will all burn". really? it reminded me of star trek into darkness, where the villain was some blowhard who was supposed to be this super strong, super intelligent man, yet nothing he said or did was intelligent.
      Haha, it's the same actor!

Comment

I was so bored through this movie. I got up to use the Men's room and took my time coming back.

Seriously, they added another Orc bad guy and then didn't resolve him either?

My hope is that after all three movies are out, some dedicated fan will edit them down to a 4 hour quality film.

Comment

Originally posted by JOrmond View Post
          Either way, not a bad way to spend a few hours on Saturday if you were thinking about skipping it because of the first installment.
          I was thinking of skipping it (and, in fact, will be doing so) because the tone is all wrong. The Hobbit isn't supposed to be a mini-LOTR. It's supposed to be its own, lighter thing.

But I'm probably in the minority in believing Peter Jackson was the wrong director for any of the Tolkien adaptations. Totally subjective here, but what he did with LOTR didn't really work for me either. I'll stick with the books.
          "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
          ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by Ravenlocks View Post
            I was thinking of skipping it (and, in fact, will be doing so) because the tone is all wrong. The Hobbit isn't supposed to be a mini-LOTR. It's supposed to be its own, lighter thing.

But I'm probably in the minority in believing Peter Jackson was the wrong director for any of the Tolkien adaptations. Totally subjective here, but what he did with LOTR didn't really work for me either. I'll stick with the books.
            Agree with all of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravenlocks View Post
              But I'm probably in the minority in believing Peter Jackson was the wrong director for any of the Tolkien adaptations. Totally subjective here, but what he did with LOTR didn't really work for me either.
              Originally posted by mgwriter View Post
              Agree with all of this.
              Ditto!

I learned my lesson with LOTR, the grating disappointment of having to wait for the next part to be released -- twice. (And only to find the damn movie was incomplete.) I'm waiting for all 3 parts of The Hobbit to come out on DVD and will watch them consecutively then.

Comment

Pretty much on par with the first film. I enjoyed it a lot.

The main attraction is of course the visuals. Despite all the CGI trickery, the world feels real and lived-on. The vistas are breathtaking.

Also the final battle with Smaug is great, epic action sequence. In general, all the action is well done. And the charismatic actors are appropriately scenery-chewing.

Sure, the story lacks a beginning and and end, and there isn't really enough plot to cover a 3 hour movie.

But the whole point to me is to get lost in the imaginary world created by Tolkien and Jackson. Allowing all the visual spectacle to wash over you. To be captured by the magic.

As such, it's a great trip.

Comment

I had read reviews here before seeing it when it came out and remembered seeing so many people disappointed that I almost skipped it altogether. When I saw it I actually liked it and watched it again a week later. I don't know, guess I'm the odd man out.
                  One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Working...
                  X