No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scriptshadow

Originally posted by snwrist View Post
    Scriptshadow is one of the best possible resources for screenwriters...period.
    I don't like to slag on SS because hey, he's a guy just like everyone else trying to carve out a little corner of the world for himself, but this statement? This statement is entirely wrong.

SS is many things, but great resource for writers isn't one of them. He's a good guy and he means well and his output is... impressive, but he's all quantity. He approaches scripts from the most basic possible standpoint and his critiques are thin at best and mostly unreasoned and underconsidered. All his discussions are gut - they never ascend higher than "I dunno, I just didn't like it." You'd be better served seeking out other blogs. gointothestory.com is an especially good one. wordplayer.com is equally fantastic.

Comment

This ultimately leads into a relapse of warmongering...

Well considering your first post within this thread, I can see why. But I am personally dead set against locking any threads or shutting people up.

If the admins decide for whatever reason to shut a thread down, then so be it. That is their decision to do so, as this website is their private property. Just no general members should ask for threads to be closed down or in anyway try to stop peoples voices being heard.

I hate that.

Anyway though, thanks for the heads up on the situation.

However forgetting 'Scriptshadow' specifically, the question still stands. And I would love more opinions (on top of the good ones I got already) about whether any exposure of a spec can be damaging to it, and possibly stop it from getting sold.

Scriptshadow is one of the best possible resources for screenwriters...period. Would I send him one of my scripts for an Amateur review? Absolutely not.

Please please please explain this then. Your answer it a total tease. A trampy, slutty tease. I need to know.

Comment

Originally posted by fanatic_about_film View Post
        the question still stands... about whether any exposure of a spec can be damaging to it, and possibly stop it from getting sold.
        This is the question that was at the heart of the tremendous debate on DD to which others have referred. Really, it's probably better for you to do a search and read the lengthy thread and the various opinions expressed. There were many of them, and few will have changed.
        "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

Originally posted by DavidK View Post
          This is the question that was at the heart of the tremendous debate on DD to which others have referred. Really, it's probably better for you to do a search and read the lengthy thread and the various opinions expressed. There were many of them, and few will have changed.
          Agreed. All your questions will be answered - including some you didn't ask - if you search for "Scriptshadow".
          sigpic

Website
          Tweets
          Book

Comment

Here's a turd to get this puppy going...

I think SS is a big part of why poor PJ is getting scorched by Fox.

Comment

that is a turd.

and no you don't.

and don't get all perturbed in a "you don't know what I'm thinking" kind of way...

because I do.

and I don't even know you.

heh.

Comment

To my favourite sea mammal: Not helping.
                sigpic

Website
                Tweets
                Book

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
                  Here's a turd to get this puppy going...

I think SS is a big part of why poor PJ is getting scorched by Fox.
                  Absolutely.

It's also a big reason people are showing up here and saying they can't find produced scripts to learn from.

Comment

So, they're not Fox lawyers trying to entrap people?
                    "Only nothing is impossible."
                    - Grant Morrison

Comment

Originally posted by jimjimgrande View Post
                      that is a turd.

and no you don't.

and don't get all perturbed in a "you don't know what I'm thinking" kind of way...

because I do.

and I don't even know you.

heh.
                      Seriously.

SS pissed off the kind of people who sit in rooms with studio heads. He pissed off a LOT of them. Now big guns at the studio don't have time to filter who has cool sites and who doesn't, they just press a button and legal takes over: "Find someone who has our scripts up and send a message."

Do you think it's 100% coincidence shortly after SS pissed off dozens of A-Listers that this happened?

Comment

Jesus. Did you just suggest that Fox went after script traders because writers told them to?

I'll be way the fuck away from you, if you need me. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post

Do you think it's 100% coincidence shortly after SS pissed off dozens of A-Listers that this happened?
                          It was roughly a full year after the ScriptShadow/John August* dust-up that PJ was slapped with the Fox lawsuit. So I don't see a direct connection. The suit appears to have been triggered by one unproduced/in-dev script, leaked in mid-October 2010, PJ was sued late November 2010.

EDITED TO CLARIFY:

To be crystal clear -- and hopefully ward off a bloodbath -- what I'm saying is: I don't think there's a direct link between John August calling out Scriptshadow in 2009 and Fox thinking -- "Oh, look -- a pro writer is pissed of at this guy, Scriptshadow. Let's go after PJ McIlvaine's script library," a full year later.

*When talking with PJ about the lawsuit I asked if she had read about the SS/August debate. She hadn't. She'd just started a new job and missed the controversy entirely.
                          Last edited by sc111; 01-18-2011, 08:59 AM. Reason: Wishful thinking
                          Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
                            It was roughly a full year after the ScriptShadow/John August* dust-up that PJ was slapped with the Fox lawsuit. So I don't see a direct connection. The suit appears to have been triggered by one unproduced/in-dev script, leaked in mid-October 2010, PJ was sued late November 2010.

EDITED TO CLARIFY:

To be crystal clear -- and hopefully ward off a bloodbath -- what I'm saying is: I don't think there's a direct link between John August calling out Scriptshadow in 2009 and Fox thinking -- "Oh, look -- a pro writer is pissed of at this guy, Scriptshadow. Let's go after PJ McIlvaine's script library," a full year later.

*When talking with PJ about the lawsuit I asked if she had read about the SS/August debate. She hadn't. She'd just started a new job and missed the controversy entirely.
                            I think you're probably right and I was probably wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
                              How many times does this need to be said... if you're trying to help PJ, don't come to a public forum and repeat ANYTHING that she told you that is even tangentially related to this case. Period. No matter how innocuous it may seem. There's simply no margin in it for her side.

Comment

I took a few posts out of here to try to get all back on topic of the thread. If you really need to discuss word use & meaning as it relates to racism then please take it into the One on One forum.

That would be much appreciated.
                                Will
                                Done Deal Pro
                                www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Working...
                                X