Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Effect of the Coronavirus

And ANOTHER great thing about America (past, present and future) is that they have that cool "Independent" status down there. No such animal up here in Canada. (I do distinguish that from starting a separate small issue-centric political party, which is precisely how we lead to 33.1 percent PMs like we have up here.)

Anyway. What I mean is, you don't have to be either a "l"iberal or a "c"onservative in the States. Becoming a "registered independent" is the first thing I'm going to do if I ever became a citizen.

(I mean, how else do you get the libs and conservatives to really work for your vote. If you sign up with them, they actually stop trying so hard because they know they already got ya'. That's why Indies have such a strong voice down there; Canada just hasn't figured that out yet.)

Comment

Thank you, Kintnerboy, for your post on change. A major stumbling block for many of us is failing to recognize (or accept) that others live differently than we do. If we introspect so narrowly, it is difficult to forecast where the world is headed.

A friend of mine years ago, a very successful attorney, once let it slip that he wanted to put on jeans and an old shirt, slip ten dollars in his pocket and start walking down a road. And walk. He wondered if he could survive for a month on whatever came his way. He never found out, as far as I know, but he realized that others were not as blessed with material goods as he had been.

I become upset when I hear neighboring (legal) gunfire. But last year one of my neighbors killed a seventy-pound coyote that was carrying away his small dog. How could I be angry about that?

Throwing mud never changes anyone's mind.

Comment

Originally posted by jmpowell7 View Post
        I become upset when I hear neighboring (legal) gunfire. But last year one of my neighbors killed a seventy-pound coyote that was carrying away his small dog. How could I be angry about that?

Throwing mud never changes anyone's mind.
        Did this coyote have any "ACME- products on him? Your neighbor may have cut short the life of the star of an animated feature.
        “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by catcon View Post
          But what did they DO? Were they seized on the issue of COVID-19, if it were as important as this mere list of talking points suggests? Nope. They're not helpless, after all, since they were able to launch an impeachment proceeding that took up enough oxygen so the news was full of it for months.

That's moving the goal posts. Here's what you initially said:

Originally posted by catcon View Post
          Democrats were totally seized with impeachment, and their own nomination race. Nothing to worry about there!
          They weren't "totally seized with impeachment." They were sounding the alarm. Repeatedly. And I proved that.

But fine. You've moved the goalposts. Let's continue to play.

They're not helpless, after all, since they were able to launch an impeachment proceeding that took up enough oxygen so the news was full of it for months.
          Congress has the ability to impeach. They do not have the ability to order or disburse emergency spending/execution of emergency plans. That rests with the president, whose job it is to execute the functions of the government.

This is basic government 101 stuff.

Even still. They did do stuff.

Feb. 2: Democratic bill to provide $8 billion+ in coronavirus emergency aid

https://www.congress.gov/116/bills/h...6hr6074enr.pdf

Feb. 4: Kilmer, Murray Lead Bipartisan, Bicameral Letter of 48 Lawmakers from States with Confirmed Novel Coronavirus Cases Urging CDC to Distribute Rapid Diagnostic Tests to State and Local Health Officials, Prioritize States with Confirmed Cases

https://kilmer.house.gov/news/press-...onfirmed-cases

Feb. 5: Watch: US House panel holds hearing on the coronavirus outbreak

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/05/watc...-outbreak.html

Feb. 5: Some lawmakers confront Trump administration over coronavirus response

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-po...irus-response/

Feb. 20: Ayanna Pressley, 45 Democrats urge President Trump to keep coronavirus vaccine cost low

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/02...cine-cost-low/

I can do this all day.

Perhaps Canadian politics is more your area of expertise than American politics.

Comment

As a reminder to all, please stick to the topic of the "Effect of the Coronavirus" on the film & TV industry here in Los Angeles and around the world.

For years now, we've asked folks not to get into what pretty much always turnout to be (general) heated political discussions.

Thanks.
            Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 04-02-2020, 11:39 AM.
            Will
            Done Deal Pro
            www.donedealpro.com

Comment

oops, posted a witty retort, then saw that Will posted his comment, so I've deleted it.

So how about this: I've scheduled another free eBook (see it in "Announcements" later tonight) and will run from Friday to next Tuesday.

It's a "healing" type of story that I wish had been produced (Spielberg directing Tom Hanks?) for this Summer, just in time to remind Americans how great they are (partisanship excepted)
              Last edited by catcon; 04-02-2020, 11:32 AM. Reason: Will said to stop...

Comment

TigerFang, the answer is in the negative.

Comment

When do you think the curve will likely be flattened and things go back to business? I am not sure how this gets solved without a vaccine. But, I've heard different estimates. South Korea seems to have slowed down new cases.

What does this mean for writers? How will the studios, mangers/agents, showrunners, etc. get back to business? Is this going to shift their buying patterns? It was already hard for writers to get actually get paid (other than the very top tier)...not sure what it will look like.

Comment

In my social media posts I've been all over vaccine, vaccine, vaccine. We can hide in here till hell freezes over, or hope the Summer heat burns it out, though it'll come back, but until we are immune (have had a mild case and survived, or develop a vaccine), or have 100% effective therapy, a vaccine is the only permanent solution.

"Contagion" had the vaccine part right, only I do hope they decide to roll it out it differently than they did in that film (by a lottery like the draft). Authorities have to take care of the front-line (health and service) workers first, then people prone or with underlying conditions, and then the rest.

Sorry for the young and healthy, folks.

Good for the oldsters (like me).

But even if a vaccine is found quickly, we still could be talking most people's first excursion out-of-doors is to vote in November!

Anyway, as to how this affects writers, I have an IMDBpro trial going now, and am finding lots of contacts, but nobody's writing back (or connecting, via LinkedIn). I did penny up for the InkTip newsletter, which had 8 leads tonight and I sent in on 4, and one from their last newsletter. So, at least in the world of InkTip, some companies are still looking for scripts for movies that they want to make.

Remember, these guys aren't being inconsiderate to what's happening. This is a business and, given that it takes 2-3 years to bring a production to completion, you just can't take months or the better part of a year off from development.

Frankly, I'd expect that's true of everybody in the biz, and this thread discusses the pros and cons of what and when to send queries, and how and to whom.

But I'd not hold back and take too much time off to relax. If you have something burning to write, or you have something to polish up (don't we all), I'd focus on those. But keep an eye on openings, buy up some VPF pitches when he has a sale (but only then), consider InkTip, check out ScriptRevolution.com, and I know there are other such services that people swear by, but I've never used. Maybe even BlckLst.

(By the way, I asked anybody who uses BlckLst what they're saying over there, how turnarounds going, etc. No response. Crickets.)

Comment

It's actually a lot harder to do work at home. Somehow it's less efficient. A million distractions. So, I don't know how managers/producers/agents are handling things if they are spending part time working at home. At least in the office, you can kind of wall yourself from the distractions by closing the door.

I am also kind of concerned about the movie business. Theater chains like AMC, laemmle, etc. how are they going to hang on? Not sure when film productions will be able to resume. There are so many people that work on these productions and all the jobs that surround them (makeup artists, caterers, etc.). The businesses that are thriving are things like streaming services and grocery stores.

Just curious if you any of you are still grocery shopping? How are things looking at your grocery store? Are basic things still there? There seemed to be a run on toilet paper, wipes, water and canned goods. And I saw all those lines at Costco on the news, so not sure how that helps stop the spread. Governors and mayors encourage social distancing, but then have it so that people congregate in large numbers at these grocery stores.
                      Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 04-02-2020, 04:58 PM. Reason: Removed extra breaks between paragraphs

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
                        Just curious if you any of you are still grocery shopping? How are things looking at your grocery store? Are basic things still there? There seemed to be a run on toilet paper, wipes, water and canned goods. And I saw all those lines at Costco on the news, so not sure how that helps stop the spread. Governors and mayors encourage social distancing, but then have it so that people congregate in large numbers at these grocery stores.
                        Yes. I still go to the store two to three times a week here in West LA. It's actually better now/this week than it was a week or two ago. On occasion there will be a line out front -- all nicely spaced by about six feet per person. They let in around 10 people at a time. It's well paced so the store is never busy or crowded. Today, I parked and walked right into the grocery store. They have taken precautions. Quite a few people are now wearing masks and/or wearing gloves. The stores are still out of TP, paper towels and a few other things, but for the most part they had plenty. Not a problem. And if you time it out right, you can usually find some of that stuff still.

We have six grocery stores right around us. Two are super quick to drive to - one to two minute drive at most. And a third store, we can walk to in about four to five minutes tops. The others are about five minutes away at most.

I have yet to see any congregating, so to speak. Everyone has really been cool about social distancing. I try to keep it light when walking near people. Everyone is actually been pretty cool and smart about it. Can't say it's that everywhere all the time, but not an issue yet I have seen out three grocery stores and two different drug stores. The latter are a little hit & miss on supplies, but both are doing a bit better now with supplies.

I always feel like the news, no matter when, always seems to cover the most dramatic places and moments, more so than what's going on in most places, most of the time. Understandable, but can skew one's perception I feel.

Keep your distance. Wash hands. Use your elbows as much as you can to open doors or push elevator buttons, etc. Then wash your hands again.

And in term of the film & TV business, I think people are starting to settle in a little with this current "work from home" situation. People are staying busy working on finishing stuff in post and prepping when production can start back up again. Though I think the latter will still be a ways off, sadly. (My long time, close friend works at one of the big cable networks and he says, he's very busy with projects in spite of it all.) I'm sure if this drags on and on that will change but at least for now they are doing there best with business as usual. Though there are plenty of others that it's not going so well for, unfortunately. It's tough to see and hear about, of course.
                        Will
                        Done Deal Pro
                        www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Originally posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
                          Yes. I still go to the store two to three times a week here in West LA. It's actually better now/this week than it was a week or two ago. On occasion there will be a line out front -- all nicely spaced by about six feet per person. They let in around 10 people at a time. It's well paced so the store is never busy or crowded. Today, I parked and walked right into the grocery store. They have taken precautions. Quite a few people are now wearing masks and/or wearing gloves. The stores are still out of TP, paper towels and a few other things, but for the most part they had plenty. Not a problem. And if you time it out right, you can usually find some of that stuff still.

We have six grocery stores right around us. Two are super quick to drive to - one to two minute drive at most. And a third store, we can walk to in about four to five minutes tops. The others are about five minutes away at most.
                          I have yet to see any congregating, so to speak. Everyone has really been cool about social distancing. I try to keep it light when walking near people. Everyone is actually been pretty cool and smart about it. Can't say it's that everywhere all the time, but not an issue yet I have seen out three grocery stores and two different drug stores. The latter are a little hit & miss on supplies, but both are doing a bit better now with supplies.
                          I always feel like the news, no matter when, always seems to cover the most dramatic places and moments, more so than what's going on in most places, most of the time. Understandable, but can skew one's perception I feel.

Keep your distance. Wash hands. Use your elbows as much as you can to open doors or push elevator buttons, etc. Then wash your hands again.

And in term of the film & TV business, I think people are starting to settle in a little with this current "work from home" situation. People are staying busy working on finishing stuff in post and prepping when production can start back up again. Though I think the latter will still be a ways off, sadly. (My long time, close friend works at one of the big cable networks and he says, he's very busy with projects in spite of it all.) I'm sure if this drags on and on that will change but at least for now they are doing there best with business as usual. Though there are plenty of others that it's not going so well for, unfortunately. It's tough to see and hear about, of course.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Were you shopping that many times a week before this pandemic? Just out of curiosity, which supermarkets were you seeing this activity? I feel like we keep getting conflicting messaging. They said 6 feet, but then an expert says 27 feet. They say it's not airborne, but then someone mentioned that it could hang in the air for 3 hours. What really concerns me is that Church choir that were separated 6 feet apart and used hand sanitizers without touching each other, but somehow 40 plus got sick. There's probably a lot we still don't know about this virus or maybe the experts are not doing a good job explaining.

Yeah, it's like a lot of people have been blindsided by this. Their whole lives blown up. I keep seeing people getting furloughed. Also, all those business people must be seeing their business go down the drain. I know how slim of margins some of them have and they count on those good months each month to keep going. Even any dip would hurt. I know several restaurant owners who are super scared--trying to figure out how to stay afloat.

What do you think this will look like for writers? Especially those trying to get their careers off the ground? Contest winners and finalists maybe not getting the heat? Will screenplays not be bought or at a lower price? Fewer slots in TV staffing? A shift from the theatrical side to more TV? And I wonder about TV fellowships and programs like Imagine Impact.

Comment

I still do my Sat. morning shopping, by bus. If it comes to it, no cop is going to pull me over for leaving my quarantine, since I'm always trailed by my wire bundle buggy (almost but not quite this). I figure that should prove to any eager officer that I actually am out to buy my weekly dose of Geritol, Dependz and 24-pack of Ensure, rather than going out for a night on the town.

Only thing this stupid store doesn't have is a lottery kiosk, so I have to go to a pharmacy for that. Good. If I told the pursuing officer that I was just going out for a lottery ticket, he'd fine me for sure. But if he sees me wandering into a pharmacy, he'll leave the ole' guy alone and go after that young punk next to me who's out of quarantine instead.

Incidentally, I'm figuring my lotto odds are pretty good. We can't buy them on-line here in Canada, so if we're all locked up and I buy the only ticket they sell, my odds ought to go up, eh? It's at $70 million this week.

Funny thing though, for the big prizes (over $10K) you have to go to a government office to pick up the cheque (check, for you Americans), but of course the government office is closed till further notice. So I might have to sit on a $70 million winning ticket for a few months till the darned office opens.

(Everything I've written was in jest, except for the underlined part)

Comment

Thanks for sharing your experience. Were you shopping that many times a week before this pandemic? Just out of curiosity, which supermarkets were you seeing this activity? I feel like we keep getting conflicting messaging. They said 6 feet, but then an expert says 27 feet. They say it's not airborne, but then someone mentioned that it could hang in the air for 3 hours. What really concerns me is that Church choir that were separated 6 feet apart and used hand sanitizers without touching each other, but somehow 40 plus got sick. There's probably a lot we still don't know about this virus or maybe the experts are not doing a good job explaining.
                              I normally go about three to four times a week. Just depends. I shop a little on the lighter side if I can. Getting out is or was nice, so I didn't mind under normal circumstances. Now just about everything gives me a moment of pause. As so many others are surely doing out there, I'm simply trying to get through it all as calmly, rationally and safely as possible, of course. And I am no doctor, but I'm pretty sure 27 feet is not necessary. I try hard just to be respectful of personal space and keep it light with folks. "Hey, coming through. Sorry." Not making fun of the situation or concern, but again trying to do what I can not to go nuts or fuel anyone's paranoia -- and keep it a little upbeat for a moment of levity at least.

Yeah, it's like a lot of people have been blindsided by this. Their whole lives blown up. I keep seeing people getting furloughed. Also, all those business people must be seeing their business go down the drain. I know how slim of margins some of them have and they count on those good months each month to keep going. Even any dip would hurt. I know several restaurant owners who are super scared--trying to figure out how to stay afloat.
                              Not that is doesn't make sense or isn't shocking at the end of the day, but when you really think about the domino effect of it all, it's truly amazing. No one is benefiting from this, that I can think of. A few lowlifes are trying to take advantage of it all, but hopefully karma or better yet the authorities will get them in the end. And a few entities, let's call them, will screw employees over or try to use this pandemic as an excuse to do something crappy.

What do you think this will look like for writers? Especially those trying to get their careers off the ground? Contest winners and finalists maybe not getting the heat? Will screenplays not be bought or at a lower price? Fewer slots in TV staffing? A shift from the theatrical side to more TV? And I wonder about TV fellowships and programs like Imagine Impact.
                              I don't know to be honest. I don't think anyone can truly answer that question right now. As others have wisely noted, if you are writer, then write. Get all the writing you can done while you are home, if possible. In terms of work, when things crank back up, I'm sure there will be shifts on who is available, or who wants to continue with something or not. Most likely, the vast majority of writers will pick back up where they left off; though surely there will be some canned projects too. Features cancelled or "forgotten." TV shows not brought back. One has to think the climate will change to some degree or another. But for example, I have read about showrunners prepping for next season using Zoom as their writers room to discuss scripts and stories.

And yes, it's a shame for contest winners or people accepted into fellowship programs at the moment. Not that that is the most important thing in life, of course. Safety and health outweigh all. But there will possibly be some folks missed, who might have gotten recognized otherwise. That said, people are hopping all over Zoom, FaceTime, etc. to keep the ball rolling. Phone calls as always. Just in-person meetings and the "water bottle tours" won't take place as normal for some time; but I'm sure reps & producers will still reach out if they like someone's writing or if a writer's work is recognized by a contest. And of course, we all have e-mail. I've been e-mailing with writers as I always do. Online festivals are adjusting and trying to go online during this time, which is great to see for filmmakers.

As for a shift, there's already been one from film to TV. Years ago, we used to list twice as many film deals each month relative to TV deals. Of late though, it's basically flip flopped.

I hope for the best for all as soon as possible. Clearly it is very bad out there for many. Maybe a few other folks can chime in with some different perspectives.
                              Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 04-03-2020, 06:55 AM. Reason: Grammar
                              Will
                              Done Deal Pro
                              www.donedealpro.com

Comment

For one, I’d like to see Saturday Night Live get some skits together through Zoom or any other way. Maybe individual cast memebrs could use their iPhones and cobble together a history of epidemics and how each of those generations walked uphill both ways to endure them. Let them make their own costumes from whatever they have available—duct tape, foil, newspaper; it could be funny. I miss their show.

We think what we’re going through is bad, but what if you were a pioneer on the frontier in the 1700s with two children who had Scarlet Fever? By the way, there was no toilet paper available then, either.
                                “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Working...
                                X