Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Next steps on The Black List?

I agree. For eg. Shadow 19 was an "unfilmable" blockbuster spec. But it got Jon Spaihts Prometheus.

Had he been writing what Ed writes, he never would have exploded into Hollywood.
    I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we hit it."

Comment

Originally posted by TitanCreed View Post
        Right now is not a good time to attract development attention. Interns are hired based on the school year, so all of the studios are still transitioning their staff and can't read all that much. They might sneak out of their hole for something from a mailing list, but I doubt they're going to comb through the Top List to find a good project at the moment.
        Respectfully, you're flat wrong. With the exception of Labor Day week, we haven't seen a decline in downloads on the site recently, or cyclically with the school year.

For the most part, it's not interns reading the scripts that are downloaded on the site. Most companies consider our readers several steps about their own interns, and if we're recommending it, they're reading it or having their assistants, many of whom are members of the site as well, do so.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
          I agree. For eg. Shadow 19 was an "unfilmable" blockbuster spec. But it got Jon Spaihts Prometheus.

Had he been writing what Ed writes, he never would have exploded into Hollywood.
          That's going a bit too far. Writing lower-level projects does not preclude the possibility of doing bigger budget films later on.

Consider the top 5 films this year:

Guardians of the Galaxy - Gunn got his start tied to Troma. That independent environment allowed him to get taken under the wing of Lloyd Kaufman, learn the craft, and build his network.

Captain America 2 - Markus and McFeely started with a comedy adaptation and have been doing adaptations ever since.

The LEGO Movie - Lord and Miller started doing their own short films, caught the attention of Disney, and then transferred from TV to movies (children's TV shows are actually a very good starting place for writers that are intent on moving up to features).

Transformers 4 - Kruger started with low level thrillers and then slowly moved up to bigger budget projects.

Maleficent - Woolverton, again, started on television.

Always remember that writing is a career. It's a job. Sometimes people get lucky and get promoted quickly, but most writers have spent years doing "lesser- writing because it was necessary to build connections, get paid, and form a resume. Far too many writers focus on the "big break- narrative and not on the "I was a writer's assistant at SyFy for five years before they gave me a shot,- version.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that you should have a big budget feature just in case it gets requested, but it shouldn't be the only thing you have. Really, your big budget project is more to show that you can write material of that nature.

I am a critic first and a writer second.

I have a background in development and currently provide low-cost coverage.

More info here: www.FourStarNotes.com

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
            Respectfully, you're flat wrong. With the exception of Labor Day week, we haven't seen a decline in downloads on the site recently, or cyclically with the school year.

For the most part, it's not interns reading the scripts that are downloaded on the site. Most companies consider our readers several steps about their own interns, and if we're recommending it, they're reading it or having their assistants, many of whom are members of the site as well, do so.
            Ah, I apologize, then. I was going off of my own experiences (and I thought I saw a slight decline following August's spike - which I guess was just Labor Day).

Do please understand as well that my point wasn't limited solely regarding The Black List. This really can be a slow time, maybe not for you guys, but definitely for some.

I didn't mean to imply that interns were reading the material. It was more that, without interns to shift lesser projects off to, you can't devote time to the things you want (like recommended projects from The Black List).
            Last edited by TitanCreed; 09-17-2014, 06:12 PM.

I am a critic first and a writer second.

I have a background in development and currently provide low-cost coverage.

More info here: www.FourStarNotes.com

Comment

Originally posted by TitanCreed View Post

Funny story: I have a big budget action-adventure story that I wrote simply to decompress after a number of depressing projects. The people who know me and read my material found out about it and asked to read it. Everyone had the same response: "We like this project, but please go write a book so we can consider it as an adaptation."

They literally wanted me to go out and write a book just so the original story would not longer be original.

That is completely retarded.

You shoulda told them. "Never go full retard."

"Running down a dream, that never would come to me." Tom Petty

Comment

Working...
              X