Question for Michaelb (clients productivity)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Question for Michaelb (clients productivity)

Originally posted by JoJo View Post
    Michael, do you:

1. Read more scripts during the holidays...

2. Read less scripts during the holidays....

3. Or do you say: Holiday-schmoliday, I gotta keep up with my reading no matter what! Business as usual.

I'm talking scripts by new writers/potential clients, not clients' scripts.
    Usually I try and read what I want to read over the holiday break.

Meaning - The top 10 black list scripts from the black list that comes out in december. Books that I have been putting off for the year. The really cool sounding scripts in development I may have never had the time to read.

And it's also when I get caught up on a ton of films throughout the year that I may have missed (and I camp out at the theater as well).

Would I read for instance a query script over the break? Eh, probably not. Would I read some of the scripts from the black list site? Maybe, if it sounded really good. But really, the break is a time for us all to recharge, so I like to do leisurely reading and relax while getting ready for the new year.

Best,

MB
    twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Originally posted by michaelb View Post
      Usually I try and read what I want to read over the holiday break.

Meaning - The top 10 black list scripts from the black list that comes out in december. Books that I have been putting off for the year. The really cool sounding scripts in development I may have never had the time to read.

And it's also when I get caught up on a ton of films throughout the year that I may have missed (and I camp out at the theater as well).

Would I read for instance a query script over the break? Eh, probably not. Would I read some of the scripts from the black list site? Maybe, if it sounded really good. But really, the break is a time for us all to recharge, so I like to do leisurely reading and relax while getting ready for the new year.

Best,

MB
      I know a lot of writers are debating signing up for the BL now (like I did) or holding off until January. Seems like holding off till January would have been the smart thing to do.

Thanks for the insight into a rep's holiday mind-set.
      "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Not sure which ones are you referring to and I don't have the time to go through 60 comments. Is there one specifically?
        Yeah, good point.
        FREE TIP: Aspiring Screenwriters, any service which asks for cash to "evaluate- your talent, RUN AWAY. Includes: Contests, black lists, former execs-cum-consultants, etc.

You wanna get noticed? Keep writing. Get better.
        (and aren't we told you shouldn't pay on a regular basis?)

You're an idiot if you think Franklin is hiring "professional script readers-. He is hiring USC students at $15 a script... So if you want a first year USC student to read your script save yourself the extra $35 and contact the school directly.
        Except that it's not 50 dollars, it's 75 dollars to start, and let's be honest. If Franklin wants to cite transparency, be honest and say that the script is going to need to stay on the site for months even with a recommend in order to get hits. And whether or not it gets recommended well on its first try or second, you're going to want another 50 dollar to read to get a good review, or to get the 2 or 3 or 5 you'll need to attract real attention. Esp. since many scripts with good reviews will still get passed on. So you'll really be spending 150 bucks and up. Not a bad deal, but this is more about making money than helping writers. Be honest.
        Now, having read the Black List over the last 2 years, I'm aware of its HUGE influence, and that it can deliver a huge lift to a writer's career. But, assuming you can get through, can it still deliver that if it's a "pay service"? Does it offer better exposure because of its higher profile? And is it only a matter of time before it's compromised?

I suppose I'm asking, in the end, is it worth the money?
        Always choose cognac over cocaine -- Jon Lord

Comment

Congrats on signing Dan Dollar, Michael. Exciting times for him!
          @MacBullitt

Comment

Originally posted by Australis View Post
            Yeah, good point.

(and aren't we told you shouldn't pay on a regular basis?)

Now, having read the Black List over the last 2 years, I'm aware of its HUGE influence, and that it can deliver a huge lift to a writer's career. But, assuming you can get through, can it still deliver that if it's a "pay service"? Does it offer better exposure because of its higher profile? And is it only a matter of time before it's compromised?

I suppose I'm asking, in the end, is it worth the money?
            Eh, just a bunch of haters.

The fact is that the service so far has proved to be tremendously beneficial to writers, signing with major management companies and agencies. One signed at CAA today.

It has brought really good material to the attention of Hollywood at a much quicker pace. I for one am a fan.

Best,

MB
            twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Originally posted by Twofingeredtypist View Post
              Congrats on signing Dan Dollar, Michael
              That is the single most awesomest screenwriter name in the history of screenwriter names. Congrats, Botti!

Comment

Eh, just a bunch of haters.

The fact is that the service so far has proved to be tremendously beneficial to writers, signing with major management companies and agencies. One signed at CAA today.

It has brought really good material to the attention of Hollywood at a much quicker pace. I for one am a fan.

Best,

MB
                Thanks, Michael, I really appreciate your time. And yes, I'll definitely give it a shot.
                Always choose cognac over cocaine -- Jon Lord

Comment

Congrats on signing Dan Dollar, I've read some of his pages and gotten notes from him over on Feedback Friday. He's a good guy, and really dedicated to his craft. Quick question, so just how long is the 'traditional' holiday break for Hollywood? Thanks.
                  Patrick Sweeney

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Sweeney View Post
                    Congrats on signing Dan Dollar, I've read some of his pages and gotten notes from him over on Feedback Friday. He's a good guy, and really dedicated to his craft. Quick question, so just how long is the 'traditional' holiday break for Hollywood? Thanks.
                    Thx.

Most of the town is closed December 21st through January 6th, coming back on the 7th. But quite a few people will start leaving from the 14th onward, so that last week will be very slow.

Best,

Michael
                    twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Most of the town is closed December 21st through January 6th, coming back on the 7th. But quite a few people will start leaving from the 14th onward, so that last week will be very slow.
                      Cool, thank you.
                      Patrick Sweeney

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Sweeney View Post
                        Cool, thank you.
                        No prob.
                        twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Hi Michael,

I have a question about decorum during the process of courting with reps. My writing partner and I recently had a short film receive a lot of online attention and several managers have reached out to meet/read the feature version. The first manager we met we really liked, but it seems prudent to at least talk to a couple of the other interested parties. He preemptively said he understood we'd be talking to a lot of people, but I'd love an outside opinion on the best way to handle this process, how much time is acceptable to keep doors open, etc.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jennifer

Comment

Michael, thanks again for keeping this thread going.

With regards to timing in the next few months:

If you were working with a new writer and had a script ready to go out, would you try and get it out now, maybe in the next week or so, before people leave, or wait til after the holidays?

If the script had a Christmas component (but was not strictly speaking a Christmas script) and geared toward a PG 13 audience, would that affect your choices? (IE, would buyers be more open to a holiday-themed script in the midst of the holidays, looking ahead to future seasons?)

If waiting til after the New Year, how does the Sundance, etc. breaks affect things? IE, if you don't go out now, are you likely to wind up waiting until after Sundance/Cannes, etc?

And finally, when is the end of the fiscal year for most buyers and how does that affect their choices? Will they have a brand new influx of money in 2013?

Comment

Originally posted by carcar View Post
                              Michael, thanks again for keeping this thread going.

With regards to timing in the next few months:

1. If you were working with a new writer and had a script ready to go out, would you try and get it out now, maybe in the next week or so, before people leave, or wait til after the holidays?

2. If the script had a Christmas component (but was not strictly speaking a Christmas script) and geared toward a PG 13 audience, would that affect your choices? (IE, would buyers be more open to a holiday-themed script in the midst of the holidays, looking ahead to future seasons?)

3. If waiting til after the New Year, how does the Sundance, etc. breaks affect things? IE, if you don't go out now, are you likely to wind up waiting until after Sundance/Cannes, etc?

4. And finally, when is the end of the fiscal year for most buyers and how does that affect their choices? Will they have a brand new influx of money in 2013?
                              1. Depends on if it's ready and the subject matter.

2. Probably before, but again, depends on the buyer. Most Holiday movies end up being MOW's, and those sell in February/March.

3. Before or after Sundance. But also really depends on your buyer. Canne is much later in the year.

4. Every studio is different.

But really, if you have reps, they can answer all of these questions for you and you have to trust in their judgement.

Best,

MB
                              twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Thanks, Michael, it's a new relationship and I want to be well-informed before I start asking these questions of them.

(ETA, it's a kids movie, not a holiday romantic comedy.)
                                Last edited by carcar; 11-21-2012, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X